AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
re: AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

AMD launches new Richland APU with 40% faster graphics at CES | KitGuru

According to sources at AMD, these new Richland APUs will come bundled with some interesting software, including gesture and facial recognition – as well as wireless connectivity to TVs etc. Internally, the software will be smart enough to change the way that loads are balanced when something like streaming starts.

If AMD Richland doesn’t scream ‘designed for living rooms’, we don’t know what does. Then again, the wireless and facial recognition systems could prove very interesting in the car market. Bring your AMD Richland-powered tablet from home with all of your latest media downloaded – have it interface with the car’s computer as you sit inside – then after it confirms your identity, the media can stream wirelessly from the tablet to the in-car media system. Where the actual tablet sits would be relatively unimportant – just dock it anywhere with a suitable power connector when you need juice.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

AMD launches new Richland APU with 40% faster graphics at CES | KitGuru

APU with 40% faster graphics, but what is the improvement of processor computation power.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not much, as it will be PD based only, Kaveri is supposed to see the daylight in Q3, which should bring Steamroller, GCN, HSA & 28nm to the table.

AMD Reveals Client APUs for 2013: Richland, Kabini, Temash and Kaveri - X-bit labs

*www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/news/2013-01/amd_client_lineup_apus.jpg

setu4993

Journeyman

Buy A10-5800K + A75 chipset mobo.

You'll keep on thinking forever otherwise.

Which A75 chipset mobo is available in the market or online stores already? All I've seen are A85/A55 based.

sukesh1090

Adam young

AMD A-series Fusion “Richland” APUs feature up to four Piledriver x86 cores as well as AMD Radeon HD graphics with VLIW4 architecture
ok hold on i thought Richland was supposed to ship with PD and GCN.now x-bit says that it is vliw4.is it a typo or really is it going to be shipped with vliw4?

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Richland is basically a refresh of Trinity, afaik the GPU will be based on vliw4 only.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Ok hold on for a minute, I thought KAVERI was the successor to Trinity.When will Richland be available for India? I dont want my rig to be obsolete a short time after I buy it :|

sukesh1090

Adam young

^^
nope actually kaveri was delayed to 2014 but now amd drops a bomb in CES stating it will be launched in 2nd half of 2013.kaveri is the actual successor to trinity with steamroller and GCN.richland is just a refresh to trinity with some boosted performance.by the time when richland will enter India, AMD would have launched kaveri in us and Europe but still i think you better wait for atleast wait for richland because there could be a price drop.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ok hold on for a minute, I thought KAVERI was the successor to Trinity.When will Richland be available for India? I dont want my rig to be obsolete a short time after I buy it :|
Whichever way you go, things get outdated quickly. That's how technology moves on.

Haskell coming after 4-5 months with a different socket and every Intel processor gets outdated.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

read this ;-)
AMD unveils new APUs, SoCs and Radeon HD 8000 Series | bit-tech.net

mmmhmhmmhhmhmm
Expected Richland dates?

if you wait for RichLand you might get a chance to to buy the A10-6800K though this is not going to launch before June anyway.

Cilus

laborare est orare

Richland can be considered Trinity with very good software support for Heterogeneous Computing.

Cilus

laborare est orare

That is due to 28 nm fabrication process and better driver support for IGP. Due to the smaller fabrication process, they can accommodate more number of Stream Processors inside the GPU without increasing the Die size or Power consumption. Also IGP driver isn't mature enough compared to the Discrete GPU. Here AMD is going to provide some major upgrades. The most important things will be the implementation of HSA or Heterogeneous System Architectur and software support for it. AMD is targeting a whole new level of combined performance of CPU and GPU. CPU and GPU will work more tightly to divide the workload.

TheLetterD

Will Power

^Dunno what that means. :/ So basically better CPU performance too right? And an Improvement in Dual Graphics Drivers? But I guess Ill go for the A10 5800K after all.

sukesh1090

Adam young

@cilus,
bro richland is not produced in 28nm it is actually 32nm only.kaveri will be in 28nm.AMD states that it has got next version or improved version of PD cores but i don't what it means and also they have mentioned 20-40% performance improvement.we have to wait and see.

vkl

Cyborg Agent

Some figures from AMD performance lab for some Richland based mobile processors:Source
3DMark 11
A10-4600M : 1150
A10-5750M(8650G) : 1400
A8-4555M(ULV part): 780
A8-5545M(8510G)(ULV part): 1100

PCMark 7 Overall
A10-4600M: 1965
A10-5750M: 2175
A8-4555M(ULV part) : 1650
A8-5545M(ULV part): 1850

A10 5750m and A8-5545M are Richland based mobile processors.GPU performance clearly seems to be boosted as per 3DMark 11 bench figures.
PCmark7 doesn't see that big a boost (~10-12%).PCmark7 overall depends upon CPU,GPU and storage medium performance so that boost maybe mainly due to improvement in IGP.
Another thing to note is that the clocks of succeeding Richland mobile processors are unknown,so the higher numbers in PCMark7 may be due to higher clocks too.
Richland seems as Trinity reworked in the same 32nm process with bundled software and improved IGP(VLIW4 only) and maybe some fine-tuning/improvement in CPU side along with some clock bump.Performance of Richland parts especially the CPU side would be more clearer with the arrival of desktop and mobile parts with exact specifications and real world benchmarks.
Kaveri should be the major change in APU lineup.

sukesh1090

Adam young

^^
exactly actual overall improvements can be seen from kaveri.i don't know about steamroller but if this 20-40% boost in richland is true then kaveri will be going to set a new milestone in IGP performance.i guess that the igp of kaveri may be 35-50% faster than richland because look at the improvement from desktop 6XXX to 7XXX.if AMD thinks to just skip GCN 1.0 and directly go to GCN 2.0 then the boost could be even higher.
on cpu side steamroller is said to be what BD was supposed to be.most of the problems will be addressed including adding individual FPU units etc., except the L3 cache problem which i guess will be fixed in excavator.some one may have posted this before but still i leave the link here,
AMD's Steamroller Detailed: 3rd Generation Bulldozer Core

Cilus

laborare est orare

BTW, HP has launched the 1st A10-4600M based Notebook, G6-2313AX @ Rs 38,490 in India. It comes with:-
A10-4600M (2.3 GHz with 3.2 GHz Turbo Boost)
6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
HD 7660D (512 MB) + HD 7670M 2GB DDR3 Dual Graphics
1 TB 5400 RPM HDD

Here is the link: HP Pavilion G6-2313AX Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 6GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

Top Bottom