AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

TheLetterD

Will Power
re: AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

Core i3-540 = first generation. A4 is still slower. A4 should be compared with Pentium G series.

My LGA 775 ASUS motherboard just died! :(
My Options are a
1. G41 Motherboard + My Core 2 Duo E7200(3 Years old!) + A GT520 NOW
2. Some ASRock FM2 A55 Motherboard(I heard ASRock's build quality is great) + AMD A4 5300 + A graphic card in the future whenever I need one.
3. '' + AMD A6 5400K + A Graphic Card in the future whenever I need one.

Im looking for rig for my HTPC, and to use it for light gaming for my younger brother, one that will last a while so I want the motherboard to have good build quality. Can anyone tell me if my Core 2 Duo is more powerful than an A4 or A6 trinity? Im talking about the CPU performance here. Cuz the L2 cache in the A4 and A6 is quite less.
And how long will my C2D last if I use it? The thing is once it dies the motherboard will go to waste.
PLEASE HELP! :cry:

Cilus

laborare est orare

There is no need for a whole new setup; get a new Gigabyte/Asus G41chipset based DDR3 motherboard. Price will be around 2.7K. Core2Duo E7200 is a good processor and I think it is better than A4, if not equal.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Hmm
Thanks Cilus
But the thing is Im really confused, these Benchmarks by Futuremark show that a Raedon 6550d is even more powerful than a GT640, but the latest A10's GPU (7660D) is is weaker than a HD5670. FutureMark GPU
And as far as the processors go, they show that the older A4 3400(Llano) is even more powerful than the yet to launch A8 5500(Trinity!)
And the A4 5300 is more powerful than the Intel Pentium G860!
Whats going on???
Can please someone help me and tell me which of these processor's and GPU's benchmarks are inaccurate?

*community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

^ can you please stop reading useless synthetic benchmarks? :) I'm taking about Futuremark/Passmark etc. Don't use those for comparison. Instead read reviews. Read such lists is the most stupid thing to do.

A8-5500's CPU (4 cores, higher clock speed but equal IPC) > A4-3400's CPU (2 cores, lower clock speed with equal IPC)

A8-5500's GPU should be at least 50% faster than A4-3400's.

Just go around and read spec tables in Wikipedia. You'll get a better idea than these useless lists.

btw, between Pentium G860 (2 cores, Intel HD 2000 graphics) and A8-5500, A8-5500 (4 cores + AMD HD 7560D) will be the better choice. Much faster CPU and GPU.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Hmm got that, and another question(Slightly off topic) how will my E7200 do against the A6 5400K? The Clock speed of the A6 is WAY higher than my C2D's, but AFAIK higher clock speed shouldn't be the only factor that says how fast a proccy is.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hmm got that, and another question(Slightly off topic) how will my E7200 do against the A6 5400K? The Clock speed of the A6 is WAY higher than my C2D's, but AFAIK higher clock speed shouldn't be the only factor that says how fast a proccy is.
I consider them to have equal IPC. CPU wise A6-5400K will be faster but not by much since single module has a sharing penalty.

If you want a decent upgrade and money to be spent well, get any 4-core Trinity. 2 core Trinity (A4 Llano, A6 Trinity) is a no. Otherwise a new mobo for your E7200 + a discrete GPU will be better.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Hmm, Thanks ico! :) I THINK Ill get a A6 as soon as its out. Or maybe the A8 if they price it right in India. Lets see.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hmm, Thanks ico! :) I THINK Ill get a A6 as soon as its out. Or maybe the A8 if they price it right in India. Lets see.
No, don't get A6.

Get A8. I added more to my post.

TheLetterD

Will Power

No, don't get A6.

Get A8. I added more to my post.

Hmm, Ive heard that they priced both the A8s the same in the US. Why would they do that? :|
Any idea abt the Indian price, and btw why does the Digit magazine say that the A10 5800K is priced at 7.2K where as Flipkart says 8.5K? :-?

k.suvom

Right off the assembly line

can i play battlefield 3 with a10-5800k without adding any gpu

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hmm, Ive heard that they priced both the A8s the same in the US. Why would they do that? :|
Any idea abt the Indian price, and btw why does the Digit magazine say that the A10 5800K is priced at 7.2K where as Flipkart says 8.5K? :-?

there's no doubt A10 5800k ( $120 newegg ) is overpriced here and same will be true for A8 5600k ( $110 newegg ) but currently only FK is selling 5800k at the lowest price possible in here and FK has also listed 5600k as coming soon but looking at the price I don't think lot's of people will be interested in this.

TheLetterD

Will Power

there's no doubt A10 5800k ( $120 newegg ) is overpriced here and same will be true for A8 5600k ( $110 newegg ) but currently only FK is selling 5800k at the lowest price possible in here and FK has also listed 5600k as coming soon but looking at the price I don't think lot's of people will be interested in this.

True True True. If the price of the A8 5600K doesn't drop below 6K by the last week of January, (Which is when I plan to upgrade my old PC, planning to use it as an HTPC and a light gaming one for my brother, 14) Ill get a Intel Pentium + HD6570/6670 Instead.
AMD screwed it up with Bulldozer, Llano wasn't THAT great either, they shouldn't screw this up. Arrghhh Price it right AMD!!!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Intel Pentium cpu should costs less than a A10/A8 APU - so better aim for HD7770 or HD6770.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Im getting really irritated. Ive made posts on Flipkart's facebook page and Im not getting any reply. Neither of the A8s are available, earlier the 5600K was listed as coming soon but now it is listed as 'Permanently Discontinued' :|

And btw
Can anyone who works at AMD or Flipkart on this Forum, help me out and let me know the expected dates and if possible the pricing?
Would really appreciate it, thanks.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Slightly over my budget! This PC im getting is for light gaming and to use it as an HTPC! :/ Wanted to give this to my younger brother so that I could get an i5+GTX 660 Rig for myself.
Meh I guess Ill go for the A10.
capture-20130105-200253.png
So the guy at FK told me that its delayed till March. Which sucks. Thanks a lot for nothing AMD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

this may sound a little offtopic but if acc to FK A8 won't show up before march then same is going to happen with FX-6300 I presume - can't say why but AMD is not interested anymore to sell PD based cpus ( read cpus around ~5-7k) anymore in here at-least.

TheLetterD

Will Power

Stock Clearance? Maybe BD and Llano didnt sell well and lots of major shop keepers still have it in stock. Meh, IDK, I guess by the time all trinity processors are launched in India, you'll start seeing Kaveri (3rd Gen APUs) leaked launch-year plans and images etc.
So should I go for the A10? Or should I wait for the price to drop? Planning to get it in the last week of January.
BTW about the ASRock FM2 A75, A55 motherboards, I made a post on ASRock India's FB page. They say its already been launched, and will be available soon on Flipkart. Dont see it on 'Coming Soon' though.
Wonder when the stock will reach Chandigarh though.
Can anyone who is planning a trip to Nehru Place in the next few days confirm if they are available?
These Mobos are really good VFM acc. to Anandtech and User reviews on New Egg.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Buy A10-5800K + A75 chipset mobo.

You'll keep on thinking forever otherwise.