Amazon is reportedly suffering from RMA fraud for Ryzen CPUs

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hai,

Fake CPUs!

RMA fraud is not a new thing, being prevalent at large retailers like Amazon for many years. RMA Fraud is when a buyer purchases a new product and then returns/RMA's it with a different product inside the same box. This is fairly common with purchases of new GPUs as well, though CPU fraud has also happened in the past.

How can a CPU be fake some of you may ask? Picture it like this, you buy a new Ferrari to drive home and open the bonnet to find that the engine underneath is from a Volkswagen Beetle. The fake AMD processors have heat spreaders which say that they are an AM4 AMD R7 1700 but in fact, the CPU underneath is of an older socket Intel LGA CPU which is not compatible with the AMD AM4 socket.

Fake AMD CPUs have been in circulation in the past, but that was back in the AM3+ FM2+ era, with the practice only taking place for a limited time. Now it seems that this has happened again, as fake Ryzen CPUs have been received by several Amazon users.

These fake Ryzen CPUs look legitimate enough to pass inspection by an untrained eye, with legitimate looking markings being printed onto an older Intel LGA CPU (looks like LGA 775). This means that a CPU that was returned to Amazon looks legitimate to some Amazon employees, who are trained to deal with RMAs on a range of products and lack the required knowledge to spot a fake CPU.

This process allows scammers to purchase CPUs and return fakes, giving them a "free CPU" to sell on to a different user.

Thankfully these fake CPUs are LGA, which means that their potential to damage AM4 motherboards is limited, even for novice PC builders and Amazon purchasers of these fake CPUs have gotten refunds or replacements quickly. At this time Amazon is working on this issue, though it is unknown how many of these fake CPUs are in their inventory.

It must be remembered that this issue has nothing to do with AMD, as right now only Amazon users have been affected by this in relatively small numbers. Amazon will need to train their RMA staff to spot fake CPUs, as this has happened in the past.

Source:Amazon is reportedly suffering from RMA fraud for Ryzen CPUs | CPU & Mainboard | OC3D News
Source1:Fake AMD processors in circulation! | CPU & Mainboard | OC3D News

PS: I am neither AMD fanboy, nor Intel fanboy.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
If you check the Digit forum, many people have received the incorrect processor when they bought Ryzen from Amazon India. The seller was eventually removed from the platform. And Amazon did not even take back the incorrect processor from the buyer!!! The buyer got full refund without having to return the wrong processor.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If you check the Digit forum, many people have received the incorrect processor when they bought Ryzen from Amazon India. The seller was eventually removed from the platform. And Amazon did not even take back the incorrect processor from the buyer!!! The buyer got full refund without having to return the wrong processor.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
It's old news buddy. Please enlighten me with anything new.

ssb1551

Technomancer
But a CPU falls under non-returnable items for Amazon. I dont think its the Customers who have returned the fake CPUs - rather Customers have received fake CPUs from the sellers :

I dont think Customers can do this fraud as again a CPU (for that matter any Computer components) comes under non-returnable items.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
As replied above if CPU's are non returnable then how can a RMA is going to be created+let's say they took an open sealed product back then do they sale the same by resealing it?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
BTW Amazon is a big cheater when it comes to computer accessories. Twice in the past 10 days they have overcharged me for a computer accessory, the icing on the cake is that they say that they have the right to do that.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
BTW Amazon is a big cheater when it comes to computer accessories. Twice in the past 10 days, they have overcharged me for a computer accessory, the icing on the cake is that they say that they have the right to do that.
Amazon is not a cheater nor any other e-retailer. What happened to our common sense then? It's not that you don't have a choice anymore. You have google to find out the best price right. If other e-retailers don't ship to your place all you can do is wait is until the product gets restocked right.
Dome talk like a little child buddy. Grow up.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Amazon is not a cheater nor any other e-retailer. What happened to our common sense then? It's not that you don't have a choice anymore. You have google to find out the best price right. If other e-retailers don't ship to your place all you can do is wait is until the product gets restocked right.
Dome talk like a little child buddy. Grow up.
Fine dear. Please help me understand how can Amazon give you in writing in a mail that they can overcharge or charge more than the mrp?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Fine dear. Please help me understand how can Amazon give you in writing in a mail that they can overcharge or charge more than the mrp?
Its an e-market place. They can do that and doing it. One shouldn't buy computer components from Amazon.in or flipkart unless they can't find it in the local market or other e-retailers specific for Computer components like theitdepot/mdcopmuters.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^ you guys are missing the part where he said, overcharged. One is not allowed to charge consumers more than the MRP!!!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
But that is the custom of Amazon right from the beginning. If it sells for the correct MRP Amazon is the best e-commerce site.

Hrishi

But that is the custom of Amazon right from the beginning. If it sells for the correct MRP Amazon is the best e-commerce site.
That is illegal to sell more than MRP! How the f*** nobody ever complained about it in the court?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Here's what Amazon replies when the same is reported to them-
We try to ensure that the MRP mentioned on the website is same as the MRP mentioned on the product that is delivered to you. However, occasionally the MRP of the product could be different from what was displaying on the site. This could happen due to several factors including:

- Product belonging to a different batch.
- Manufacturer specifying different MRPs in different regions.

I'm sorry but we won't be able to offer price match (or) refund in this.

Thanks for your understanding and patronage in this.

If you need to contact us,

please visit Amazon Sign In

We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today

Now check this(mod posted this pic, check the original photo in my next post below)
*s2.postimg.org/4h2y6olyx/Consumer_care.jpg

Last edited:
OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
It wasn't Amazon but the seller who was selling item above MRP. All that the buyer has to do is report the matter to Amazon and either return the amount and get the difference compensated.
This is the standard procedure for any marketplace like ebay, amazon, bestbuy,newegg etc but here in India Amazon is not following that procedure.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
- Product belonging to a different batch.
- Manufacturer specifying different MRPs in different regions.

1. If the price showed on the web page is from the new batch(with higher price), then they must deliver you the product from the new batch. They cannot give you the old batch product when you are paying for the new batch product. Or else they need to update the MRP info on the item and cannot sell it with older incorrect MRP in which case they are deceiving the customer.
2. If I recall correctly the MRP info contains MRP for different regions clearly on the label. So that the customer knows exactly what's the MRP he has to pay from the region he is buying the product.

Note: In your case Amazon is in the wrong. You have to explain the case to them. Also I think GST may be also causing this confusion. Since post implementation, all existing products must be re-labeled to show updated MRP with GST info.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
1. If the price showed on the web page is from the new batch(with higher price), then they must deliver you the product from the new batch. They cannot give you the old batch product when you are paying for the new batch product. Or else they need to update the MRP info on the item and cannot sell it with older incorrect MRP in which case they are deceiving the customer.
2. If I recall correctly the MRP info contains MRP for different regions clearly on the label. So that the customer knows exactly what's the MRP he has to pay from the region he is buying the product.

Note: In your case Amazon is in the wrong. You have to explain the case to them. Also I think GST may be also causing this confusion. Since post implementation, all existing products must be re-labeled to show updated MRP with GST info.

IDK which mod deleted the photo from my last reply but dear sir this has the rules keeping GST in mind, please let everyone read it
*i.imgur.com/eK551qX.jpg

@Stormbringer
Couldn't agree more dear. But they said that their decision is final. Amazon is becoming Flipkart day by day.

Top Bottom