All laptop related queries here!!!

drkarth

Broken In
Budget : 40,000
Size: 15inches
Primary functions: To read PDF books , (nearly 60GB size) , To view XRay--CT--MRI pics
Screen resolution: 1080p(hoping this will help in visualising XRay pictures clearly)
Configuration: RAM:4GB
Memory:1TB
(Also let me know if 4GB RAM is enough to handle 1TB memory . If it drags the performance I will settle with 500GB though)
Confused between i3 and i5.
Kindly suggest.
Thanks in advance

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
RAM & hdd size has no relation with each other.hdd type though has very significant impact on total system performance.A ssd instead of hdd will make whole system run faster at least 2-3 times.core i3 is more than enough for your requirements.Finally you need to see for yourself how XRay/CT/MRI images will look on a full HD laptop screen as most people don't see such images regularly to give any reliable suggestion(e.g.what level of details are there & does seeing these images on TN panels used by most budget laptops is good enough compared to seeing them on IPS panels used by few & costlier laptop models).

drkarth

Broken In
RAM & hdd size has no relation with each other.hdd type though has very significant impact on total system performance.A ssd instead of hdd will make whole system run faster at least 2-3 times.core i3 is more than enough for your requirements.Finally you need to see for yourself how XRay/CT/MRI images will look on a full HD laptop screen as most people don't see such images regularly to give any reliable suggestion(e.g.what level of details are there & does seeing these images on TN panels used by most budget laptops is good enough compared to seeing them on IPS panels used by few & costlier laptop models).
In i3 if I should go for 7th generation or settle with 5th. What difference the generation makes?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Each generation is approx 15% faster than previous gen but again you can only notice it if you do cpu intensive tasks which your mentioned usage is not.However thumb of rule is to not buy a laptop beyond 1 generation so aim for at least 6th gen core i.

drkarth

Broken In
Each generation is approx 15% faster than previous gen but again you can only notice it if you do cpu intensive tasks which your mentioned usage is not.However thumb of rule is to not buy a laptop beyond 1 generation so aim for at least 6th gen core i.

I have narrowed down my choices and going by specs--- Dell inspiron 3567 i3 6th gen with windows 10 --which ticks all my requirements seems to be the best buy. Is it a safe bet? Is there any negative factor associated with above machine that could hamper my buying decision?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,a very big negative.Only this win 10 configuration comes with older 802.11bgn 2.4GHz wifi while cheaper non-windows configurations comes with modern 802.11ac dual band(2.5GHz & 5GHz) wifi.I do not advice anybody to buy a laptop now-a-days without 802.11AC wifi.

drkarth

Broken In
Yes,a very big negative.Only this win 10 configuration comes with older 802.11bgn 2.4GHz wifi while cheaper non-windows configurations comes with modern 802.11ac dual band(2.5GHz & 5GHz) wifi.I do not advice anybody to buy a laptop now-a-days without 802.11AC wifi.
In compuindia website I searched for Dell 3567 specifications , (the one that is priced at 35390) . In wireless and connectivity it shows 802.11ac dual as you mentioned. Am I missing something? Dell Inspiron 15 3567-laptop online reviews and price in India

drkarth

Broken In
Is there any other OS other than windows that would perform relatively better ? With 802.11AC dual though.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never trust any 3rd party specifications,always check official specifications:
Inspiron 15 3567 | Dell India

OS has no relation with wifi performance.Also most people are more comfortable with Windows.

drkarth

Broken In
Never trust any 3rd party specifications,always check official specifications:
Inspiron 15 3567 | Dell India

OS has no relation with wifi performance.Also most people are more comfortable with Windows.
I switched over to HP official site to look for 802.11ac and the likes. Not finding anything in my affordable price range. Apart from Dell/HP Should I include lenova and Asus in my search?
Now that you know my requirements,could you please suggest me some.

vito scalleta

In the zone
A nice little experience of shipping a laptop from US to India that i found on quora. Taking into account the cost savings.
*www.quora.com/Has-anyone-bought-a-laptop-from-USA-and-shipped-to-India
Just wanted to share.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I switched over to HP official site to look for 802.11ac and the likes. Not finding anything in my affordable price range. Apart from Dell/HP Should I include lenova and Asus in my search?
Now that you know my requirements,could you please suggest me some.
You can but at least for Asus I found out that most of their below 40k models don't have AC wifi at least as per official specifications.I suggest you to visit laptop stores with images of XRay/MRI etc in usb to check for yourself how good they look on 720p screen(standard on laptops) vs 1080p FullHD screen(only a handful of laptops below 40k have this) so you can decide whether you should sacrifice AC wifi or 6th gen processor to get a 1080p screen in laptop.

P.S. One can buy decent usb AC wifi adapter which costs around 700(indian/chinese brand but should work fine) to ~1000-1400(major manufacturers like Dlink & TPLink).It will occupy a usb port & you may not like to plug it every time while always keeping it inside usb port may not be preferred by you.

drkarth

Broken In
You can but at least for Asus I found out that most of their below 40k models don't have AC wifi at least as per official specifications.I suggest you to visit laptop stores with images of XRay/MRI etc in usb to check for yourself how good they look on 720p screen(standard on laptops) vs 1080p FullHD screen(only a handful of laptops below 40k have this) so you can decide whether you should sacrifice AC wifi or 6th gen processor to get a 1080p screen in laptop.

P.S. One can buy decent usb AC wifi adapter which costs around 700(indian/chinese brand but should work fine) to ~1000-1400(major manufacturers like Dlink & TPLink).It will occupy a usb port & you may not like to plug it every time while always keeping it inside usb port may not be preferred by you.
Ok. Before that what about OS other than Windows like Ubuntu and DOS. ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems like you have no experience with any OS other than windows in which case it is better to stick with windows only.Linux based OS now-a-days are simple but still not at the same level as windows & forget about DOS.It is a command line OS introduced in early 80s,as laptop manufacturers have to put some OS name in specification,they put it as DOS because even though it is a few hundred kb to 7-8mb(smaller than a good quality mp3 song file) OS designed for 80s PC,technically it is still OS.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Budget : 40,000
Size: 15inches
Primary functions: To read PDF books , (nearly 60GB size) , To view XRay--CT--MRI pics
Screen resolution: 1080p(hoping this will help in visualising XRay pictures clearly)
Configuration: RAM:4GB
Memory:1TB
(Also let me know if 4GB RAM is enough to handle 1TB memory . If it drags the performance I will settle with 500GB though)
Confused between i3 and i5.
Kindly suggest.
Thanks in advance
Check locally for screen quality and demo with your xray, pdf files.
Ram has nothing to do with HDD size.
Don't worry over i3 or i5.

These have 1080p screen:
Buy Asus Vivobook X541UA-DM1358T (Intel i3 7100U (7th Gen) / 4 GB DDR4 / 1TB / Intel HD Graphics / Win10/ Silver / 1 Year Warranty / Silver Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in
Asus Core i3 6th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home) X541UA-DM1233T Notebook Rs.33500 Price in India - Buy Asus Core i3 6th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home) X541UA-DM1233T Notebook Black Online - Asus : Flipkart.com
Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com

Use the money saved to get a ~120 GB SSD and move the OS to it. If there is an empty m.2 slot, buy a m.2 ssd. If not, try to replace the HDD with a 2.5" SSD and the DVD drive with the HDD in a caddy. If there is still enough budget left, increase the ram from 4 GB to 8 GB.

Ok. Before that what about OS other than Windows like Ubuntu and DOS. ?
Stick to windows. It is more likely for you to get confused while using ubuntu or dos (then keep searching for solution) than to just use windows.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I was also confused about which laptop to buy. If you are looking for the best laptops, choose from MacBook and Surface. I can't decide which one to buy. But if you see the comparison between them maybe it will help you. *MOD EDIT: Self promotion link removed* Click here to see the plus points...
To whom are you replying in the first place? Don't post vague comments. Be specific.

sohan_92

In the zone
Can someone give some honest review on this product?
Acer Nitro 5 Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) AN515-51 Notebook Rs.74999 Price in India - Buy Acer Nitro 5 Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) AN515-51 Notebook Black Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Can someone give some honest review on this product?
Acer Nitro 5 Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) AN515-51 Notebook Rs.74999 Price in India - Buy Acer Nitro 5 Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) AN515-51 Notebook Black Online - Acer : Flipkart.com
Going by the specifications alone, I'd say it is overpriced. Plus its from Acer, which isn't known to have good build quality, at least in India that is.

Top Bottom