!!!!!!!!!!8 Mbps From Airtel!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi23

Broken In
Airtel announces launch of 8 Mbps broadband in India

BANGALORE: Airtel, on Wednesday announced the launch of eight Mbps broadband service, becoming the first service provider in the country to offer such high speed broadband service.

Announcing the launch of the new product, Bharti Airtel President (Broadband and Telephone Services) Atul Bindal said with this the Airtel broadband customers could now browse multiple windows and at the same time, download heavy files, view streaming video, enjoy online gaming, chat, email and other applications.

Currently the speeds on offer, range from 256 KBps to 4Mbps. With the new speed offering, Airtel has pioneered a revolution in internet experience, he said.

"Airtel customers will no longer have to wait for a video to get buffered while watching streaming videos. They would be able to download a 5 Mb music file in five seconds flat as compared to 160 seconds on a 256 kbps connection," according to P V V Srinivas Roa, Chief Marketing Officer.

Airtel's eight Mbps broadband service will initially be available in Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, Delhi and the NCR, with a subsequent roll out in Mumbai and Hyderabad in a few weeks.

The offering would be commercially available soon, he said, adding the price points of this offering is still being worked out. However, roughly the price point could be around Rs 2,000 for a download of 7-8 Gbs.

Tariff plans and product offerings are also being worked out to enable customers, who do not want a 24-hour eight mpbs speed but want them for certain applications or a short duration of time, to avail the new offering.

Airtel's objective while finalising the tariff plan for the new offering would not be to make it very expensive but rather to achieve a deeper penetration and to open the market, said Bindal.

"The aim of this offering is to reach out to the mass consumers, especially homes, SMES and youth in particular."

The plans worked out would enable the existing customers of a lower speed broadband services to upgrade their services. "We are looking at a segment of `speed on demand', he said.

Airtel has invested in the back-end infrastructure to deliver these speeds.

It already has a Carier Ethernet Network oprational in Delahi, Bangalore and CHennai. In the next phase Mumbai too would be upgraded to CEN.

CEN allows not only provisioning of high speed plans to broadband customers but also delivery of triple play services. In the other cities, the SDH network has been upgraded to deliver four and 8 Mbps speeds.

"With the 8Mbps speed, our network will also be IPTV ready," he said adding the pilot run at NCR had been going on successfully and once the clarity on government regulatory came through, Airtel would be in a position to launch the service in NCR and subsequently in other places.

Keeping up with changing times and needs, Airtel's business is witnessing a transformation from being voice centric to broadband. "There was an attempt to upgrade the value chain and to offer services of world class quality."

Elaborating on Airtel's advantage in pioneering the service, he said, Airtel being one of the thoroughly integrated operators, was something it could leverage on in addition to its existing infrastructure.

Source:EconomicTimes

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Re: Airtel announces launch of 8 Mbps broadband in India

Let them upgrade our bandwidth @999 plan. If 256 kpbs unlimited costs 999, I dread to think what the cost of 8 Mbps would be ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

there is a thread running already

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70320

Reporting...

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

This is going to be Locked....

NucleusKore said:
Let them upgrade our bandwidth @999 plan. If 256 kpbs unlimited costs 999, I dread to think what the cost of 8 Mbps would be ;)
its 2k with a 8Gb data cap

Last edited:

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
even if the current plan of H500* continues with upto 8mbps, one can dl upto 15-16GB in the nite unlimited ;-)

*BSNL's 2-8 unlimit

Last edited:

als2

Journeyman
it will be better if they revised there plan such as

128 kbps 250
256 kbps 500
1 mbps 1000
2 mbps 1500

and all unlimited rather than introducing 8 mbps plan with limits

NucleusKore

TheSaint

gary4gar said:
This is going to be Locked....

its 2k with a 8Gb data cap

Ok, then their current 2k plan @512kpbs unlimited is a better option, no cap

Hope the threads are emerged instead of locking

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
NucleusKore said:
Their current plan of 512 kpbs unlimited for 1999 looks more attractive. No cap

yeah thats true... also the 256Kbps UL plan @ Rs.900/- is also good.. it suits me perfectly... ;)

one more point to note is that they cant go more than 512 Kbps in most of the areas they cover.... only a few areas can go above the 2 Mbps speed... unfortunately i'm not in one eventhough Airtel's Chennai HO is just 2 streets away from my house... :( :(

viruses

Journeyman
als2 said:
it will be better if they revised there plan such as

128 kbps 250
256 kbps 500
1 mbps 1000
2 mbps 1500

and all unlimited rather than introducing 8 mbps plan with limits

agree

Airtel, on Wednesday announced the launch of eight Mbps broadband service, becoming the first service provider in the country to offer such high speed broadband service.

What is this? A joke? First one to provide 8Mbps? Has anyone forgot that BSNL and MTNL already provide 8Mbps on their Triple Play services which was released on August15? I thought Digit users are much well informed, alas the blinded hype from private companies like Airtel make us dumb novices!:mad:

And also please be aware that you will be downloading at 8Megabits per sec and not 8Megabyte per second i.e again only if you get that bandwidth because all the Indian ISP unfortunately have chosen the route of Bandwidth on Demand for 8Mbps lines which means you never have 8Mbps readily available like the existing 2Mbps thoroughput. If Airtel decides that you need bandwidth, then your troughput will be increased to 8Mbps temporarily in burst modes. The stable troughput you will always see is around 2-4Mbps.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Help~Is~Here said:
What is this? A joke? First one to provide 8Mbps? Has anyone forgot that BSNL and MTNL already provide 8Mbps on their Triple Play services which was released on August15? I thought Digit users are much well informed, alas the blinded hype from private companies like Airtel make us dumb novices!:mad:
dear..that 8Mbps speed is only available for commercial purpose.But this Airtel 8Mbps plan will be available for home user also.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
Help~Is~Here said:
What is this? A joke? First one to provide 8Mbps? Has anyone forgot that BSNL and MTNL already provide 8Mbps on their Triple Play services which was released on August15? I thought Digit users are much well informed, alas the blinded hype from private companies like Airtel make us dumb novices!:mad:....

uh!! we are far from dumb novices dude 8) ... I hate this kinda attitude :confused: ..
you suddenly rose from your slumber and come sommenting very late in a thread with some redundant info and accuse us of being dumb novices.. :D

_

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If you really want to see BSNL service come to Mangalore. Half the time the BSNL DSL line in our college is down. They don't seem to be able to figure out why. Speeds are erratic to say in the least. And they took real long to introduce the 900 UL plan which so many users talk about, at least a year after AirTel did.

ravi_9793 said:
dear..that 8Mbps speed is only available for commercial purpose.But this Airtel 8Mbps plan will be available for home user also.

Dude, it is for Home users and not just for entreprise.

DigitalDude said:
uh!! we are far from dumb novices dude 8) ... I hate this kinda attitude :confused: ..
you suddenly rose from your slumber and come sommenting very late in a thread with some redundant info and accuse us of being dumb novices.. way to go son... learn some manners :)

Dude, you didn't get the point, did you?

When I said dumb, I mentioned, 'us' which includes me. Now if you took that statement as offensive, then you seriously need some lessons in english and sarcasm.

Anyways, the point that I made was that BSNL already offers the same and not that you are a dumb novice. :D

Last edited:

forever

filth is me
i wonder why people still sing praises for MTNL. ive tried MTNL for 4 months and on a 256k plan i only managed to get speeds like 96k, and all efforts with the customer service went in vain. unke kaano par juu nahin rengtee. if you are getting the stipulated speeds on ur MTNL, then your downright lucky. it may be an area thing though, but little did they try to remove the said problem.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Help~Is~Here said:
Dude, it is for Home users and not just for entreprise.
which U are reffering :
Old BSNL/ MTNL 8 Mbps plan-->>Available only for commercial purpose.
New Airtel 8 Mbps plan-->> Will be available for home user also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom