2TB HDD : Internal or External

robbinghood

Journeyman
hello
i already own this External 2TB WD My Book Essential USB 3.0 but it don't cost me Rs 7405.i bought it from letsbuy at rs 4800 but it now says Rs 8000.what is happening here ? is the site quoting wrong ?
i encountered the same at flipkart i ordered a webcam that quoted at price 500 but after somedays i got call that it has price of rs5000.funny.
the product is good and i don't have any problem till now and i don't use WD Smartware.

When did you buy the WD My book??

suyash_123

Techno Freak
Currently I have :
Internal 500GB Seagate
External 1TB WD My Book Essential 3.0
Current prices are :
Internal Seagate 2*1TB = 2*5805 = 11610
Internal Seagate 2TB = 8073
External 2TB WD My Book Essential USB 3.0 = 7405
1) Should I go with 2TB considering the price ?
2) Are 1TB drives less prone to hardware failure than a 2TB or is it about the same?

hi all,

as Per "bajaj151" last post i see he has good Portable HDD space...

i was also having same questions About 1 Tb or 2 TB, internal or external, or seagate or WD

It depends on your needs....
1. I heard a Lot of issues from my friends having issues with 2TB as slow responding, some times turn off automatically , holds in Wait for lots of time while transfering data..

I goggled it and found some good reasoning...
Portable Hdd (with USb Powering) are underperformed due to USb Power is less (USB 2.0 :- 500mA,5V,2.5 watts)

HDD has Platters / disk and rotor circuit it needs a Good and perfect power supply to input (continuous one)

USB powered HDD has same cable for Data and Power...

Some usb are also not giving perfect 500 mA current continuously thus Hdd autoshut down in middle of operation.
Also craches happens... and data corrupts ...

More number of Gb more Circuitry and requires more powers.....

Also reason is external HDD (usb) are only having 2 platters to reduce it size and make it as compact as possible .. thus the circuitry is more complex and and thus failure chances are more ...

(as Hdd haves moving parts :disk which will reserves it space even you reduced the surrounding circuity to a tiny chip...., it will tend to make things complicate)

Thus HDD companies are focusing more on SSD as it has no disk no rotor and nothing............ just semiconductor.....

So from above i concluded that if i where you i would have think of External powered which will give enough power to drive my Hdd to work and reliable then USB for Higher TB

If you want Portability : then go for USB One (1TB)

if you already have portable Hdd and No need of portability just want get more space : Then external powered External HDD...

(Note : external power external Hdd are also portable just need to carry adapter like u carry for Laptop)

If any suggestion Please reply... i will welcomed to hear if i am wrong any where !!!

i m waiting Or External powered Western digital HDD 2TB till it comes 6.-6.5 k approx till diwali....
till then i will have to adjust ....

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
I seriously doubt when the prices of HDD are going to fall ... infact with the fluctuating foreign exchange rate the prices actually has risen a bit in the las few weeks.

Got quoted a price of Rs 6500 for internal Seagate 2TB 5900RPM . Will buy it in 2nd week of July.

But i'd recommended everyone to buy external [ with adapter ] 2 TB , ~ Rs 7100 if they can bargain .

suyash_123

Techno Freak
i say your Point is Completely Valid....
since past 2 months HDD prices rised from 500-700 rs

i called my Local vendor here

I got info as follows

1 TB WD : 6400/- RS (External Powered)
2 TB WD : 6900/- RS (External Powered)

1 Tb internal Seagate : 5100/- RS
2 Tb internal Seagate : 6400 /- RS

1 Tb internal WD: out of Stock : 5500/- RS
2 Tb internal WD : Out of stock : 6500/- RS

Will think to buy soon ....

he also told me there is New stock of 3 Tb HDD .. just check out with my store...

will have look on it this saturday....

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Practice caution especially buying online. Many retailers did point out that the market is flooded with external drives without the distributor's sticker ever since the Hard drive+ dollar rate issue started. You have to make sure you get a proper bill AND there is a distributor sticker on the box. If both are not there, then don't buy it or else don't be surprised if WD or Seagate are not able to RMA your drive within the promised time. Fortune marketing is Seagate's distribution to my knowledge and one of the distris for WD external drives is Reddington.

Top Bottom