You don't need 8GB RAM in smartphones

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
This is a good read.

8GB RAM Smartphones: 9 reasons why you don’t need an 8GB RAM smartphone | Gadgets Now

It might make sense to feel that buying an 8GB RAM smartphone will make the phone last longer as you would be able to future-proof yourself when heavier games or apps are launched. Having said that the possibility of you buying another new phone next year or within two years is way more, thus defeating the purpose of “future-proofing”.

Along with games, there are no apps or hardware that would demand 8GB RAM. Even AR and VR apps could easily run with 4GB RAM. Also, modular hardware like the MotoMods can smoothly run with lesser than 4GB RAM.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I don't think any mobile game today requires more than 4 gigs of ram. 4 gigs is more than enough even for multitasking.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Only way 8 GB of RAM makes sense is if we can use it to "store" things, albeit temporarily.

Since RAM is a volatile memory, and since we rarely turn phones off (atleast not with the frequency of a PC), if I can use the extra GBs to store data in it for some duration (if my main storage is running out of space) and then transfer the data to somewhere else, that would be a good use of extra RAM. Innit?

Or another and more probably use case for extra RAM is if a AAA game uses the extra RAM to load more files in memory so that load times are fast.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
On my older system, the reason I upgraded from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM was to play Dragon Age Inquisition.
Comparing that to the Android system, does Android have any sort of game that is as complex as Dragon Age Inquisition ? NO absolutely not.
The reason why marketting is pushing 8 GB RAM into our brains is because of the sheer lack of optimization. 4 GB ram should be beyond sufficient for every task a smart phone is capable of. If companies like Honor work on optimization instead of x69 mega ultra selfie artificial ultron edition photograph, it would be truly appreciated.
I think part of the problem is because Android runs on Java (or atleast it used to, the last time I was into it)

Top Bottom