Yet another GPU recommendation

golden_oldie

Right off the assembly line
Background:
I am looking to upgrade from a 2GB MSI nvidia 1050 to something better, but still about 20k INR range. I am a casual gamer and have no need for the latest and greatest, a decent budget one would serve me just fine.

Build:
Ryzen 3600
Gigabyte x570 UD (X570 UD (rev. 1.1) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE India)
4 x corsair vengeance 8G 2400MHz
1x HDD 7200 RPM HDD
1x Kingston SSD 120G
2x cabinet fan 120mm
MSI geforce 1050 2G (GeForce GTX 1050 2G OC | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance | MSI Global)

I know the RAM and the SSD needs upgrade in near future, but I am just re-using them from my old intel(i5 7600) build. It would be nice not to upgrde my PSU right now.

Use case: The computer mainly runs linux and the reason for upgrade is to accommodate more VMs/containers/microservices etc. But it is also dual booted with Win10, so that I can play games or use softwares that needs Win10.

1. What is the intended use for this graphic card ? Gaming or workstation work? (Name few Games or applications are you going to run)
Ans: Primarily workstation. The need is to run cyberlink editing softwares, lightroom primarily. But also games when the opportunity and mood present themselves. My most graphic demanding games are Sniper Elite 4 and Call of Duty: WWII. Rest of the games are old titles (Assassin's creed IV, Ryse, DMC) or are not too graphics demanding (CS:GO, Road Redemption, Medal of Honor Airborne). A graphic card is necessary as my CPU doess not have integrated graphics.

2. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans: Cooler Master B500 V2 B500 ver.2 | Cooler Master

3. What is your Max budget ?
Ans: ~20k

4. Which Screen resolution will you game at (if applicable)?
Ans: 1080p

5. What are your current computer specifications ?
Ans: look above

I have already narrowed it down to rx580 , rx 5500xt and a nvidia 1660. What do you think I should get ?

quicky008

Technomancer
1660 or 1660ti.If you don't want ray tracing features,these are the cards you should get.

The reason i recommended nvidia is that their cards appear to be quite efficient,thus have lower energy consumption and relatively stable drivers.

GTX 1660 Super is the best you can get for ~20k, but covid & border issues pushed up prices. Earlier Zotac GTX1660S was 19k, now its a bit more. I'd recommend Zotac one as they provide 2+3 years warranty after registration.

20.5k is a great price for it:
Buy Zotac GTX 1660 SUPER Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@ico OP's primary tasks are in linux, since you also work on same OS what do you think about getting nVidia GPU. Why not get RX580 since he does not care about playing on high settings. If PSU is the problem for RX580 then he can opt for RX5500 4GB. I understand it is less value for money than 1660 series but what about the peace of mind?? I am not suggesting anything here but asking since I am interested in similar setup and budget.

OP
G

golden_oldie

Thanks for all your inputs so far. I actually ordered an Rx 580 off Amazon which turned out to be dead on arrival.

I use Opensuse (been using it since 11.4) and have the official nvidia repo added (currently on 15.1). So if I finally do get an Nvidia, it's not a big deal for me since every kernel and nvidia upgrade will take care of it itself. Currently I am waiting for the refund to be completed so that I can get the GPU. But it will have to be from a brick n mortar store.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico OP's primary tasks are in linux, since you also work on same OS what do you think about getting nVidia GPU. Why not get RX580 since he does not care about playing on high settings. If PSU is the problem for RX580 then he can opt for RX5500 4GB. I understand it is less value for money than 1660 series but what about the peace of mind?? I am not suggesting anything here but asking since I am interested in similar setup and budget.
Yes, I would recommend Radeon if the primary use is Linux.

Thanks for all your inputs so far. I actually ordered an Rx 580 off Amazon which turned out to be dead on arrival.

I use Opensuse (been using it since 11.4) and have the official nvidia repo added (currently on 15.1). So if I finally do get an Nvidia, it's not a big deal for me since every kernel and nvidia upgrade will take care of it itself. Currently I am waiting for the refund to be completed so that I can get the GPU. But it will have to be from a brick n mortar store.
Sorry to know that your RX 580 turned out DoA. nVidia on Linux *can* be problematic in some odd scenarios. I usually recommend Radeon for Linux as you don't even need to have any official/non-official nVidia repo.

RX 5500 XT should be the GTX 1650 equivalent, and it is current generation as well.

Do note that for the latest Radeon GPUs, you'd want to use a distro that has Linux kernel > 5.3 and Mesa > 19.

OP
G

golden_oldie

Currently leap 15.1 has backported Radeon support and I'll have to upgrade to 15.2 anyway later this year. I know I can find my way around if I get stuck in linux.

Waiting for the refund to be initiated on my purchase of rx580.

OP
G

golden_oldie

so I went with a zotac 1660. All good on both OS.

Code:
# hwinfo --gfxcard | grep Model
  Model: "nVidia TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660]"
# inxi -zGxx
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 450.57 bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 10de:2184
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.3 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
           alternate: nv tty: 271x67
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.

Top Bottom