XP's giving problem- sos!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dare_dexter

Broken In
:(
Guys, I'm facing a problem with my Windows XP. I've installed various patches and updates(including the one called "System Recovered From Error"), and now I'm unable to defragment and perform anti-virus scan with Norton Antivirus 2003(updated online) to my C: drive, where Windows remains. The problem includes the file sysdata.xml.
Please help. My C: partition is about 12% fragmented!!

[deXter]

Journeyman
Did you install the latest service Pack (sp2) ?

Also, dont use the default windows defrag program, its practically useless. Use alternative programs like Diskeeper or O&O Defrag, or even System Mechanics' defragmenter are much better than the defrag program.

But before doing a defrag, perform a full and through chkdsk by running the following command:

chkdsk C: /f /v /r /x

You'll get a message saying that the drive is in use and it cannot be checked, and whether you'd like chkdsk to run at the startup. Press 'Y', and restart your comp.

After the chkdsk, restart and start your comp in safe mode and try to continue the defrag.

But if possible, try to install SP2 and use other Defragmentation programs.

OP
dare_dexter

dare_dexter

Broken In
Thanks

:p
I'll soon install SP2 in PC. Does it solve my problem?
Is there any freeware with which I can defrag my disk?

I have another question to ask. Why can't I activate my account in RED HAT Linux 9.0 (which I got from Digit CD Pack)?

rajat22

In the zone
Install SP 2, Defrag with 3rd party defrag tools or try POWER DEFRAG with Windows defrag tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom