Xbox One setup/play without TV

gagankapula

Broken In
I'm planning to buy an Xbox One Console.
I don't have a TV.

Can I unbox the new console, switch it on, goto my Windows 10 PC and try to connect/stream it using the Xbox app on the PC ?
Or is it mandatory to have a TV so that the Xbox console can be accessed and configured such that it can connect to Windows 10 PC in the initial stage.

I live in a small room and I don't want to buy a TV.
I have a laptop i7-2630QM, Nvidia GT 525M (outdated), can't afford a new gaming PC/Laptop.

I want the console but not the TV, is this scenario possible?

gameranand

Living to Play
It is possible in a way but the tech for it is very new and started recently with Win 10 update and Xbone update.
Also for the initial setup you'll need a TV as well because you have to change default settings. Also if some problem arises then again you need a TV to look for it and solve it, so in simple words YES its possible but NO I would not recommend it. Its not worth the trouble and hassle.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
To connect xbox one to your monitor. You need:-
1) HDMI cable to connect between your monitor and console.
2) It supports digital audio only i.e. S/Pdif. So, you need to buy this Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA: Amazon.in: Electronic to convert analog audio into digital. Cheaper one can be found at ebay. Or if your monitor has speaker then well and fine.
You need to buy this cable as well Buy BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable (3 Feet / 0.9 Meter) Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.i c

kunnusingh

Journeyman
I am not sure but maybe If your laptop monitor is detachable then you can use it as your screen.

All you need to buy a Rs.7k monitor but I think now a days 7k is to much for a monitor however If you need bigger monitor and better then 8k to 9k budget for monitor is ok.

OP
G

gagankapula

Broken In
It is possible in a way but the tech for it is very new and started recently with Win 10 update and Xbone update.
Also for the initial setup you'll need a TV as well because you have to change default settings. Also if some problem arises then again you need a TV to look for it and solve it, so in simple words YES its possible but NO I would not recommend it. Its not worth the trouble and hassle.

Yes I agree with you on this...if something happens then I'd have to rush to some friend who has a TV with my Xbox and Laptop :tongue_NF:

But I'd really appreciate if someone who owns an XBO can confirm whether its worth a shot.

hmmm. why don't op buy a kickass monitor, 27", LED? and also he can move around it easily.

I'm aware of the fact that TV's are quite cheap these days, and the experience of playing on a big screen is phenomenal.

But I live in a shared 3BHK flat i.e. not a permanent settlement, no idea when I might need to change flats or move around.

So I'm thinking of buying just the XBO and playing it on my laptop via streaming on Windows 10.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I'm aware of the fact that TV's are quite cheap these days, and the experience of playing on a big screen is phenomenal.

But I live in a shared 3BHK flat i.e. not a permanent settlement, no idea when I might need to change flats or move around.

So I'm thinking of buying just the XBO and playing it on my laptop via streaming on Windows 10.
Buy a portable projector and play on 100" screen

TheSloth

The Slowest One
the idea is really good, no doubt but i have few doubts.
no no. i meant what if there's too much light in room during daytime? then won't it be difficult to play games?
and also he needs to find a decent space on the wall with white paint(my room is painted with orange and cream color)
Can you mention the cost of decent quality projecotr?

Zangetsu

the idea is really good, no doubt but i have few doubts.
no no. i meant what if there's too much light in room during daytime? then won't it be difficult to play games?
and also he needs to find a decent space on the wall with white paint(my room is painted with orange and cream color)
Can you mention the cost of decent quality projecotr?
Projector works best with White Canvas sheet and not even white walls
so a white canvas is a must to get the best picture quality and it beats some LED TV too in color reproduction and quality

Zangetsu

waaaaw. how much that projector will cost?? less than a kickass monitor(15k)?

there are cheap ones available on Amazon.in
such as these UC 40 PLUS LED PROJECTOR: Amazon.in: Electronic

but I recommend to buy from good brand such as Benq if u want to invest one time.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
BenQ projectors are really costly. OP can buy a TV or a good monitor in that price range. Lets wait for OP to reply.

Alok

Adventurer
What I use to play console on my monitor is a generic USB TV tuner and audio cables to speaker. I use to play PS3 and XBOX 360 , new consoles should work too.

Top Bottom