Worth upgrading or not???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys
i have an intel pentium d 3.4ghz
512 mb ram ddr2 533mhz
onboard graphics(intel 945) upto 256 mb.
i have an empty pcie X16 slot.
The queston is that with this kind of config i am not able to run the 1-2 yr old games at playable frame rates. in fact most of them dont even work. like aoe3, crysis, oblivion, nfs carbon, flight simulatorx etc. So if i upgrade to 2GB ram, will there be any real performance boost. or shud i go for a seperate graphics card along with this. or it wud be just wise enough to go for a new computer itself?? for the ram & grphcs combo i have 15k. Sowill the upgrade be worth it? & after upgradingwill i be able to run the latest games at lowest settings. Pls help. thnx in advance.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if you are using a CRT display, get these

1) Palit HD4670: 4.5k-5k
2) Corsair XMS2 2x2Gb DDR2 800MHz RAM: 3k (forget about that 512MB stick)

OP
U

undertakerthedead

Broken In
Tnx for replying...so u mean with that i will be able to play the games i listed at high quality. And i have a 17 inch lcd monitor. wat about the latest games. will i be able to play them too??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
At that resolution, you should be able to play heavy games at low-medium quality.
for not-so-heavy games, you will be able to play at max reso and high quality.

Also, you can check Sapphire/MSI/XFX HD4770. Using this you can play all games at high settings on 17" CRT. but for this card, your CPU could be a bottleneck

You also need to add another 2Gb of ram.

OP
U

undertakerthedead

Broken In
thnx for that... lastly u have given me a prphcs card which costs around 6K,and the ram is another 3k so wat do i do with the remaining 6k. shud i just go for grphcs card costing around 9k or will that be just a waste of money????

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
for a 17" monitor, yes, that would be overkill.

for HD4770, you have to get a better PSU, I would recommend Corsair VX450W for 4.2k

1) Sapphire HD4770: 7.2k
2) Corsair VX450W: 4.2k
3) Corsair XMS2 2x2Gb ddr2 800: 3k

acewin

Point Blanc
thnx for that... lastly u have given me a prphcs card which costs around 6K,and the ram is another 3k so wat do i do with the remaining 6k. shud i just go for grphcs card costing around 9k or will that be just a waste of money????

save the money or spend them on cooling or PSU and all which u may think be worthful.
Puttin anything extra is not much good as u got P4 system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom