Workstation / Gaming laptop

bloodlife

.::Lost in the EchO::.
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
upto 85K INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen --- Preferred
3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
-> Mainly this would be my workstation, mostly running RDP/Putty, Slack/MS Team, 1-VM, and containers, laptop will be connected to external monitor at home Dell 2421H. although i have old desktop (i2500K + GTX 560) but i'm unable to game on it. So this new laptop should be able to handle most of the games (Assassins creed, Call of Duty).

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

Intel or AMD with GTX 3000 series

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Lenovo, Asus, Dell
b. Dislike: Rest of the other brands, nothing in particular, i have had good After sales service of the above brands

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) - Prefer Full HD
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) ) - should last minimum 6 hours
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) ) - Purchasing online - Amazon
I came across this, fits my budget but i'm not sure how good is Asus TUF series laptops
- Amazon.in

The i5 11400H is a good CPU as its a 6 core one, but TUF at that price with 3050 isn't the best deal. TUF still isn't great to handle 80W GPU, not sure if 3050 is 80W in TUF. It might be 60W:
2021 ASUS TUF Gaming F15 - Tech Specs|Laptops For Gaming|ASUS India

Better get this & save money:
*www.amazon.in/HP-16-1-inch-Graphics-Flicker-16-e0076AX/dp/B098QBZF1N/
Might have 60-75W dGPU like F15

Or get this for best performer for under 85k:
*www.amazon.in/HP-15-6-inch-5-4600H-Windows-15-en0002AX/dp/B08CGGRHLH/
Add RAM & SSD to it. Connect the monitor using HDMI* to connect its dGPU directly to monitor for a 10% fps boost in games. No freesync/gsync as that needs DP port, Omen's type C supports DP but don't know if your monitor has it.

RTX 3050/3050Ti perform close to 1660Ti but in games like AC Valhalla, they hit their 4GB VRAM limit which affects performance. So 1660Ti is still a great choice.

*Likely the HDMI is connected to dGPU as well, so should boost fps:

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

Thanks for the inputs

How good are these.. I can extend by budget by 10k, anyhow it's going to be nocost EMI, and 30k allowance from the company.

*www.amazon.in/dp/B096KVJ5PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_dl_R976QEN9CB4BJHW2F88R

*www.amazon.in/dp/B0987PPMB7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_MPV0E5BY3J3QYKAJTTFT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
ROG, GPU specification has 3050 - 80W + 15W dynamic boost.

I also checked out HPs Victus lineup not sure about build quality. Any suggestions please

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*www.amazon.in/HP-16-1-inch-Graphic...s=HP+Victus&qid=1628263269&s=computers&sr=1-3

If you increase a little more, this is a gigantic upgrade. If not stick to Omen 1660ti. Dont go for 3050 laptops

*www.amazon.in/HP-16-1-inch-Graphic...s=HP+Victus&qid=1628263269&s=computers&sr=1-3

If you increase a little more, this is a gigantic upgrade. If not stick to Omen 1660ti. Dont go for 3050 laptops
+1 to this. Get either RTX 3060 victus or 1660Ti Omen. For RTX 3050, just save money & get 72k Victus.

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

Thank you!

Update--

Took Victus Ryzen 7 5800H, 3060 GTX

And it arrived..

Screenshot_20210811-153612.jpg

Thank you!

Update--

Took Victus Ryzen 7 5800H, 3060 GTX

And it arrived..

View attachment 20758
Nice, congrats

I have some queries about it:
Install HWInfo, disable unnecessary parameters (right click > hide) & keep it looking like this maybe:
1628677283918.png

Want to see CPU freq, power temps & GPU power, temps, freq.

Run Cinebench R20, hit clock icon to reset timer & take screenshot just before Cinebench test is finished, so that I can see its temps on CPU only load.

Similarly, play some game for liek 30mins or more, take a screenshot after you are done playing. Prefer some heavy game, like Apex, R6, FC5, Battlefield, CoD warzone, etc over say Valorant or CS GO.

Post those screenshots, will know a good idea about its thermals. I expect it to be good, but not as good as Helios 300.

How's its screen wobbling? Big issue? Heard about it online.

If you can, post benchmarks numbers from popular games with in built benchmark like FC5, SoTR, AC Valhalla/Odyssey or something else. Performance should be better than RTX 2060 for sure, 80W RTX is still good.
Thanks.

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

Screen is wobbly and worst part of this laptop and the keyboard layout too, after using Dell Precision 5530 for last 2 years i have got used to that layout which doesn't have numeric keypad.

Cinebench scores, attached screenshots. while on single core, the cpu temperature was between 41-55c. But the MultiCore :machinegun:

CPU_Omen-cinebench-run.png

HWinfo - while multicore benchmark was running.
cinebench_HWinfo.png

SingleCore-
cinebench-singlecore.png

MultiCore-
cinebench-multicore.png

The only game i could install and test out is AC Odyssey and below is benchmark from the game, yet to try out other games but i'm already running out of space :(

FireShot Capture 001 - ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY - BENCHMARK REPORT 21 August 2021 06_51 PM - .jpg

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@bloodlife Thanks for sharing the benchmarks!
How is the laptop working? How are the temps during games and running VMs and other work related things?
Would you recommend Victus for its price?

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

@bloodlife Thanks for sharing the benchmarks!
How is the laptop working? How are the temps during games and running VMs and other work related things?
Would you recommend Victus for its price?
I am running 1VM, chrome, VS Code and Citrix workspace during work hours, memory used is around 12GB, CPU usage is average, no heating issue. Fan runs silently.
Not sure, if i have paid more for these spec :D my last PC upgrade was 8years ago still running with GTX 560 :unsure:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I am running 1VM, chrome, VS Code and Citrix workspace during work hours, memory used is around 12GB, CPU usage is average, no heating issue. Fan runs silently.
Not sure, if i have paid more for these spec :D my last PC upgrade was 8years ago still running with GTX 560 :unsure:
are you getting overheating issue with the cpu while gaming I can see in stress test its getting >100 C

TheSloth

The Slowest One
victus runs hot ,very hot
While using which application? Because OP confirmed there are no heating issues apart from the screenshot of the Cinebench test on multicore.
Please post some links these claims. If this is legit then we need to warn the other people who are looking for gaming laptops because Victus costs lesser than rest of the gaming laptops for nearly same specs. I will be slightly disappointed if they pulled the same thing which MSI is doing for their laptops, lable bad products low cost to sell more.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
While using which application? Because OP confirmed there are no heating issues apart from the screenshot of the Cinebench test on multicore.
Please post some links these claims. If this is legit then we need to warn the other people who are looking for gaming laptops because Victus costs lesser than rest of the gaming laptops for nearly same specs. I will be slightly disappointed if they pulled the same thing which MSI is doing for their laptops, lable bad products low cost to sell more.
I'm unsure if this is trustworthy info to u so if i'm wrong i'll delete the comment
this is the only review i saw i havent seen any top reviewers like dave2d reviewing this laptop yet
gaming performance area in the clip

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
I'm unsure if this is trustworthy info to u so if i'm wrong i'll delete the comment
this is the only review i saw i havent seen any top reviewers like dave2d reviewing this laptop yet
gaming performance area in the clip
yeah i have seen the video already It does run hot with games as seen in the video.
Waiting for op to confirm this.

Maybe 5600H + 3060 would have been a better fit & would have lowered CPU temps. Something like 100k would have been an excellent price, with 5800H at 110k.

OP
bloodlife

bloodlife

It gets hot while playing, this is 40mins into AC - Odyssey.

The center of keyboard - between F6 to F10 and keys below till spacebar become hot only this region you can feel it.

once i've finished playing, i switch the fan to Max for few minutes, it brings down the temperature.

Screenshot_3.png

5mins with Max Fan speed -

1630163798623.png

you can see below CPU/GPU Max and Avg temperature. CPU crossed 100 when benchmarking, otherwise its below 80 for most of the time. During gaming max cpu temperature has been 79c so far.

1630164475292.png

Top Bottom