With Android moving to 64 bit does it matters to you?

$hadow

Geek in making
As the topic says since Android is moving towards 64 bit with lollipop and these gen phones are 32 bit does it matters to any one buying a new phone to hang out for 64 bit phones.
My point of view is that no it doesn't matter. Since Google's own Nexus 6 is a 32 bit so I think that Google will support 32 bit for atleast 3 years or so. But still I would like to hear from you guys.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How does it matter in PC if you are on a x86 architecture of x64? I think it's the same case with phones.
It would only matter if the phone have more than 4 gigs of RAM, I think.

But I won't say to hold your purchase for x64 phones. Next thing you would wait for is phones with native USB 3.0 support? Or switchable processors?

i want phones with that dual side USB ports, you know, no more flipping 2-3 times before you get it right, lel...
i also want phones to be equipped with IR blasters.. They are pretty cheap (year 2000 tech) and really really useful. I can go to any restaurant and flip the TV channels hahaah
i also want phones to have RAID kind of storage.. instead of 32 GB expensive phone, why not 2x16GB ...
i also want Notification LED lights to be standard in all phones
i also want..........phones with a good inbuild download manager, like EagleGet or IDM kinda of features
i also want the old Nokia/Symbian's "Timed profile switching" option to be standardised.. really usefull for people who go for classes

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
Listen you are misguided if you think 64bit is just about ram alone
Now read this
Why 64-bit processors really matter for Android | Android Central

How 64-bit computing will improve the mobile experience - TechSpot
And oh btw note 3 have USB 3.0 support!

I'll add more links if I find relevant stuff

Last edited:

kapiljhajhria

Broken In
Ut won't male much different until and unless apps make use of 64bit structure. Even in windows pc there are so many apps that are still 32bit only. We have quad core , 6,8 etc core cpu in mobiles and pc but still so many apps on both platform not making use of all this hardware upgrade.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I still say waiting for 64 bit will be a tad useless thing.
Just marketing hype on the "next big thing", but useless really for common people. :p

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
For mobiles it is a bit useless.

For computers, it mattered a lot back then and matters a lot still.

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
Ut won't male much different until and unless apps make use of 64bit structure. Even in windows pc there are so many apps that are still 32bit only. We have quad core , 6,8 etc core cpu in mobiles and pc but still so many apps on both platform not making use of all this hardware upgrade.
I can't agree there, I have a core 2 duo lap from around 2k6 and Pentium dual core sandy bridge based, the performance across all the apps is a remake able improvement in the latter, now this is due to a modern architecture using an optimised software, but the core is the same, there is going to be improvement, but won't be seen immediately I guess in android, we are in a bit of transition period atm

I still say waiting for 64 bit will be a tad useless thing.
Just marketing hype on the "next big thing", but useless really for common people. :p
Well I don't know, but when you look at the next gen soc, even mediateks are gonna use 64bit, rest assured next year's flagship will be 64 bit, there is no harm in buying 32 bit,
But if you wait a bit you'll have something that's next gen, heck even the next redmi iteriation, is rumoured to run on a SD 64bit
It's not like you are paying a premium for that, coz that will be the norm for the phones from next year

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I am an idiot and thus asking, what could be the benefits of having a 64 bit Android over 32 bit? Even for Windows I only did it because of more than 4 gigs memory support, nothing else.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I said it before, I am saying it again. No matter how advanced the hardware is, it all depends on the software optimization. That combined with lack of proper support for existing hardware makes choosing a phone difficult. it will take at least 2-3 more Android iterations to stabilize and optimize the software.

knight17

In the zone
There is not going to be any discernible difference in performance because of 64 bit CPUs in Android phones. Even on a desktop you need to have applications written specifically for 64 bit systems to take advantage of. The RAM improvement is the only thing I consider relevant. With ART becoming more mainstream in the coming months, we can hope that the RAM hunger of Android apps will subside. Makking < 4 GB RAM 'anyone could ever want'

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
Yeah I agree with my points here but since Android OS is now 64 bit supported so could Google announce in a few years like no support for 32 bit phones.

Top Bottom