Wireless Router for budget of 2000-2500

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dear hotstar, the owner can do pretty much everything they do with a costly AC router with a ₹900 router as well.
Thank you for posting the above because now I can give you a formal warning.Do not post anything after this in this thread as it is clearly evident that you are "obsessed with Rs.900 router".

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hey @meetdilip Thanks for the tip but decided to go for the Asus dual band router after going through the pros and cons. Since i use a router for a long term, i see this as an investment. The router doesn't disappoint..Been few days since i got it and been testing both bands and its performing really well. The range is far better than my older router. I will post an update over the weekend since i am still testing it out.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Ronnie11 waiting for your detailed review,also have you updated to the latest firmware.:)

P.S.just a suggestion.If you have a good speed net connection(preferably 10-20mbps or more) then start some torrents with large no. of seeders & peers & then try to connect a device(a mobile) over wifi from a distance,say,a floor above or below the one where router is placed.Try both bands.

Last edited:
OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
@Ronnie11 waiting for your detailed review,also have you updated to the latest firmware.:)

P.S.just a suggestion.If you have a good speed net connection(preferably 10-20mbps or more) then start some torrents with large no. of seeders & peers & then try to connect a device(a mobile) over wifi from a distance,say,a floor above or below the one where router is placed.Try both bands.
Interesting. I shall try this out. :)

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hey guys, So first of all my apologies for delaying the review by a week due to some unforeseen circumstances. But it has given me more time to test the router even further more.

I currently have an 8Mbps connection which goes up to 10 at night. I have also updated the router's firmware to the latest version before testing it out and tested both bands using laptop and mobile.

I will start off with 2.4 GHz first. The range is excellent!!. When compared to my previous router Asus RT N13U, The Asus AC58U gives about 40% better range. I have tested it during heavy load and normal usage, and i have had no trouble with connecting to wifi although as expected speed does drop during heavy usage. Since the last 2 weeks of continuos usage, I did not encounter any signal drop or disconnection issue (Router is on for 24 hours). The only downside i see here is that if you make any changes in the router, the router takes some time to reboot and implement the changes but less time compared to my older Asus router.
To give a hint on the range capability, I have connected the router from the ground floor of my house while i stay in third floor. If placed right, It should easily cover an area of 800-900 sq. ft.

The 5 GHz range is the only downside in this. It is not the same as 2.4 GHz. I suspect its the new firmware which is causing this as the previous firmware had higher coverage area. Although it is stable and encountered no drops in speed or range or disconnection.

Getting to the firmware, When i installed it the first time, i was using the stock firmware which came with the box. I used it without updating for 4 days to see the difference when i upgrade it to the latest firmware. The previous firmware had issues especially with the 2.4 GHz line. There were some unexplained drops in speed but 5GHz worked well without any trouble. Post the update, the 2.4 GHz is working flawlessly. They seem to have fixed the bugs of 2.4 GHz. Hoping for a similar fix in range for 5 soon. My current firmware is 3.0.0.4.380_7485.

Please note that on a given date, we have 4 mobile phones and 2 laptops connected at all time along with the pc.

Thanks to @whitestar_999 for the recommendation.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to know it worked well for you :) About the 5GHz coverage,how much it is reduced.Say router is placed in a room on top floor,how good is the signal in adjacent room separated by a single wall & in a room just below the top floor room where router is placed.Can you post values of signal strength by using wifi analyser(note spelling,there is a similar wifi analyzer app too) app on mobile in various rooms/floors if possible,it would be a great help?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Good to know it worked well for you :) About the 5GHz coverage,how much it is reduced.Say router is placed in a room on top floor,how good is the signal in adjacent room separated by a single wall & in a room just below the top floor room where router is placed.Can you post values of signal strength by using wifi analyser(note spelling,there is a similar wifi analyzer app too) app on mobile in various rooms/floors if possible,it would be a great help?

Yup sure, will post values from the app.
About the coverage for 5 GHz, by taking your example, signal is weaker than my 2.4 Ghz when measured in the adjacent room. I get one or two bars at most.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!I need values in dBm to see how weak the 5GHz signal is in adjacent room & a floor below.Anything upto 70dBm should be enough though I would like value below 60dBm in adjacent room & 70-72dBm in room directly below the router room for 5GHz.Also post values of 2.4GHz signal for comparison in same locations.If possible,please do a speedtest too on both signals in same locations.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Thanks!I need values in dBm to see how weak the 5GHz signal is in adjacent room & a floor below.Anything upto 70dBm should be enough though I would like value below 60dBm in adjacent room & 70-72dBm in room directly below the router room for 5GHz.Also post values of 2.4GHz signal for comparison in same locations.If possible,please do a speedtest too on both signals in same locations.
Alright sure. Give me a couple of days since I am caught up with work.. Will post the figures soon.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Alright sure. Give me a couple of days since I am caught up with work.. Will post the figures soon.

Is this is the app you're talking about *uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003/389d204efc4e7550a7ce696ebc38cc47.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes.

No problem!Take your time.If your values are good then maybe if some good diwali offer comes I may buy it for a friend who is looking for a good AC router.A few days back it was available for 4k on paytm with cashback & icici card combined offer.

Top Bottom