WinXP Registry - Deletion of entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nariman

Journeyman
Kindly help me delete the following 5 entries from the WinXP Pro SP2 Registry.

No matter what I do to delete these entries they crop up again.
These entries are reported by Registry Mechanic 5.1 and are are marked for deletion but as this is unregistered it does not delete.

TMP - 2
Location: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk\
Value : CHK file = C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk
Parsed :

DEEP - 3
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Path1
Value : CachePath = C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache1
Parsed : C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache1

DEEP - 4
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\Path2
Value : CachePath = C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache2
Parsed : C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache2

DEEP - 5
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path3
Value : CachePath = C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache3
Parsed : C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache3

DEEP - 6
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path4
Value : CachePath = C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache4
Parsed : C:\Documents and Settings\silloo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Cache4

Look forward to your collective expertise.
Regards
Nariman

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
I think so the last four entries are related to the Internet cache.
Cache includes all the data that is d/l while surfing via your IE browser or any other. These will come in as long as you keep surfing. To clear these entries,
1. Open internet explorer
2. Click on Tools Menu->Internet Options
3. Click on Delete files in the Temporary Internet files.

Regarding the logs,
edb.chk is a checkpoint file. It is used by the transaction logging system. If the system shuts down abnormally, the pointer tells the system how far along a given set of commits had progressed before the shut down.
So, it will indeed popup whenever an above thing occurs. So, you do not need to worry about them.

Hope it was useful.

OP
N

Nariman

Journeyman
WinXP Pro SP2 Registry - Deletion of entries

Hi yrana2002
Thanks for the response.
Had tried as suggested but to no avail.
If I delete the edb.chk as well as Datastore.edb and run the program li shows problem in File Extentions and in the end repairs the same and does not show the problem in Temp File / Shortcuts.

Today I tried to run the same in Safemode. It showed the same problems and after deleting the same and running the program again it showed "NO PROBLEMS".

Unfortunately after getting out of safemode and into windows the same problems were reported.

Any suggestions ?
Nariman

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Sir,
I think so you are not supposed to be deleting *.edb files, you can safely delete edb.chk file because it is a recovered portion or portion that was saved after abnormal shutdown.
Also, there is no real need to delete them. You can config. RegCleaner to neglect the entries on next scan or disable scanning of specific entries.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk\

The SoftwareDistribution folder is related to Automatic Updates! And what updates r d/l ed and installed on our computer, r stored here! So if u want to delete that file permanentaly, I think Turning off Automatic Updates might help!

And all other files u mentioned, r created for Internet explorer cache! If u want to delete those files also, then search for desktop.ini file in those folder, these will be HIDDEN and edit those files and delete al lines except the first 2.

At last, there is not need to delete these all files actually! U can ignore them :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom