WinModem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
I have installed Fedora Core 3 by removing Fodora Core 4 for installing my Modem (Pctel HSP56 Winmodem). The Pctel Modem was successfully installed in the manual configuration. It said that I should load three modules like this:
modprobe linmodem
modprobe pctel
modprobe pctel_hw
Everything goes fine and lsmod command shows the modules loaded. Similarly, dmesg|tail also shows the module loaded. However, I'm unable to configure a dial up connection with the help of KPPP. Probably, beacuse I'm a complete newbie to Linux. I have tried all the device options from /dev/modem to /dev/ttySL3 but nothing worked. Please help.....

PS: The modem runs fine with Windows...

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
vignesh said:
How did you configure it.I have the same modem.Please tell me.

I tried everything..........

I tried the auto, manual and every type of installation. I downloaded PCtel Modem Driver from *linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/welcome.html and then unzipped it and then in terminal, I typed in:

./configure -manual

Then, it didn't detect automatically, so I entered the Hal type as pct789 and then typed in

make
make install

Then, I loaded the modem like this:

modprobe linmodem
modprobe pctel
modprobe pctel_hw

And then I treid to dial with the help of kppp and I tried all possible devices for modem (/dev/modem, /dev/tyS1 etc........), but the modem didn't dial......

So I tried the following:
rm -f /dev/modem
ln -sf /dev/ttyS_PCTEL0 /dev/modem
chmod 666 /dev/modem

And again dialed with the help of kppp, but in vain............

Please Help

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
ok I downloaded the driver and issued the command ./setup I got the following .Please help

root@Blue:/home/vignesh/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-4c.tar.gz_FILES/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-4c #
ls
ChangeLog driver FAQ README setup src
root@Blue:/home/vignesh/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-4c.tar.gz_FILES/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-4c #
./setup
checking for running kernel version...2.6.10
checking for ptserial...ptserial-2.6.c
checking for gcc...3.3.5
searching for kernel includes...** error
could not find any kernel sources in /usr/src
you have either not installed your kernel sources
or your kernel sources are installed in another place then
/usr/src/
please enter your correct kernel source tree, e.g. /usr/src/linux:

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
vignesh said:
ok I downloaded the driver and issued the command ./setup I got the following .Please help

ls
./setup
checking for gcc...3.3.5
/usr/src/

What Linux are you using?? Kernel version??

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
vignesh said:

ls
./setup
checking for gcc...3.3.5
/usr/src/

It seems that you have FC4............. If you do then it should have some problems........

Actually, in this case, you are missing the Kernel Sources......................

Install the kernel sources from Add/Remove Programs and it should install.............

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Ok............... And you didn't mention the Kernel..............

Anyways, goto Add/Remove applications (Guess Ubuntu has it) and install the kernel sources..........

Then try the setup again and tell me what happens......

And BTW, cool avatar......

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Ok I installed the linux headers and then it asked my the hal type I gave pct789 and it said modem installed.then what do I do ?

OP
K

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
vignesh said:
Ok I installed the linux headers and then it asked my the hal type I gave pct789 and it said modem installed.then what do I do ?

I am asking again and again.. tell me your kernel........... Ok in the terminal, just type in "uname -r" if you don't know what kernel you are using.........

Read the readme included, it will tell you which commands to use to load modems...

For 2.6 kernels, it shud be

modprobe linmodem
modprobe pctel
modprobe pctel_hw

This should load the modem as /dev/modem or I'm confused............. Just try to dial with kppp and see the results....... Then post.............

I think it loads modem as /dev/ttyS_PCTEL0 or something like that... first try what I said and say me the results and then if it diesn't work, I'll look for some other idea...........

ujjwal

Padawan
I dunno about KPPP, but I had used wvdial long ago, when I had a dialup connection. This is a good guide on getting wvdial set up properly. Try it out and see if you face any problems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom