Windows XP Locked in Oracle VirtualBox

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
In my organisation, software is still used which are 16 bit & I use Windows XP in Oracle Virtual Box. I access XP only once in a month. At every instance it asks for activation, I used to run some commands which extend the trial period of activation to another 30 days. I was doing this since last one year but now something happened that it is not allowing to log in at all even if I run those commands. I’ve tried many workarounds on the internet but none worked.
I cannot access my files in XP which are very important. I didn’t create any backup.

How do I access those files?

I’m running 64-bit Win10.

this is the error

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210630/a8bfb2766f55d18ef09758322db526dd.jpg

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is your virtual drive partition encrypted by any chance? Such as using Bitlocker?

If it isn't encrypted, you could create a bootable Linux USB and select it as the boot device when your VM starts. Browse to your hard drive where your files are and copy out the files that you need.

I think it would be better if you copy all of your files out and then later reinstall Windows on your VM.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Is your virtual drive partition encrypted by any chance? Such as using Bitlocker?

If it isn't encrypted, you could create a bootable Linux USB and select it as the boot device when your VM starts. Browse to your hard drive where your files are and copy out the files that you need.

I think it would be better if you copy all of your files out and then later reinstall Windows on your VM.

Thanks. I’ll do and post the results.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think technically you don't need to create a bootable USB since you can mount ISOs directly in Virtualbox from the VMs settings.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Try using keys on win world PC. they provide legit evaluation keys and are not pirated.

Edit: Sorry they dont have keys for win XP. I was mistaken, they only have till win 2000 and ME

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210630/6adb88221877caa90e9e27cf47599fe4.jpg

Getting these options .. usb doesn’t show here

Have created usb drive of ubuntu

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210630/6adb88221877caa90e9e27cf47599fe4.jpg

Getting these options .. usb doesn’t show here

Have created usb drive of ubuntu

Just insert the ISO of ubuntu into the vm and reboot.

After that it will directly boot. USB Boot is not supported without extension pack, so instead just use the ISO

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
1625056111531.png

From here

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
That option is on the VM's Page, Start the VM, And then insert from there. After inserting, reset the VM from Machine > Reset

1625056478202.png

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
After resetting got error during boot that

“This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu. “

I’m running 32-Bit Windows XP.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
After resetting got error during boot that

“This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu. “

I’m running 32-Bit Windows XP.

Wait.

Ubuntu requires x64 cpu, so either enable virtualisation OR use something like Hiren's boot CD or other Win PE based OS.

In my organisation, software is still used which are 16 bit & I use Windows XP in Oracle Virtual Box. I access XP only once in a month. At every instance it asks for activation, I used to run some commands which extend the trial period of activation to another 30 days. I was doing this since last one year but now something happened that it is not allowing to log in at all even if I run those commands. I’ve tried many workarounds on the internet but none worked.
I cannot access my files in XP which are very important. I didn’t create any backup.

How do I access those files?

I’m running 64-bit Win10.

this is the error

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210630/a8bfb2766f55d18ef09758322db526dd.jpg

What Happens when you press yes?

If it asks for Key, maybe find one and use that ;)

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Wait.

Ubuntu requires x64 cpu, so either enable virtualisation OR use something like Hiren's boot CD or other Win PE based OS.

What Happens when you press yes?

If it asks for Key, maybe find one and use that ;)

I tried with some product keys but it didn’t work.

How do I enable virtualisation?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I tried with some product keys but it didn’t work.

How do I enable virtualisation?
*docs.oracle.com/en/virtualization/virtualbox/6.0/admin/nested-virt.html

in short,

1) Enable Virtualisation in BIOS
2) Enable virtualisation in VM settings> system > acceleration

Can you tell which specific version of XP is it? SP1,SP2 or SP3? Also, professional, home or any other?

Here is Ubuntu 32 bit ISO

*releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04.6-desktop-i386.iso

this is direct download link I got from here

*releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
*docs.oracle.com/en/virtualization/virtualbox/6.0/admin/nested-virt.html

in short,

1) Enable Virtualisation in BIOS
2) Enable virtualisation in VM settings> system > acceleration

Can you tell which specific version of XP is it? SP1,SP2 or SP3? Also, professional, home or any other?

Here is Ubuntu 32 bit ISO

*releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04.6-desktop-i386.iso

this is direct download link I got from here

*releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

I downloaded Linux Mint 32 bit, Ubuntu 32 bit from above link and still couldn’t get the error away.
Its a windows xp Home edition Service Pack 1

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I downloaded Linux Mint 32 bit, Ubuntu 32 bit from above link and still couldn’t get the error away.
Its a windows xp Home edition Service Pack 1

Try this at last now

*www.hirensbootcd.org/

It should run as it has winPE on it.

Did you try enabling virtualisation? just google [ enable virtualisation <Your MOBO/ PC> in virtual Box]

if this works, only then you may try one of the Home version keys from here
*gist.github.com/denizssch/72ec2aa1c5d0a84ffb57076f7dbf30d6

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210630/cc4ef529811add5546983f2ccececb07.jpg

Now the system won’t let me activate.. when I log in to windows this message pops up and whether I hit Yes or No, it will log me off.

Top Bottom