Windows X64 need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

divyadbzgt1

Broken In
I am buying AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket 939)

with ATI® Radeon XPRESS 200P- RX480M2 motherbaord

I wish to install Windows Xp 64 bit version Trial

What are neccessary things i should look forwad into, What problem will i get.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
First of all search for 64bit Anti-virus, Firewall, drivers. Trial of WindowsXP x64 is available from Microsoft.

geek

Broken In
yes.....get all the drivers. Drivers are required for your graphic card, sound card, modem and maybe for some onboard devices on the motherboard. Check out your hardware brand and go to the site of the company. you can also go to the site of the chip manufacturer for the drivers. eg if you graphic card is from Nvidia then go to nvidia.com.....and look out for the drivers for you card in the drivers section.

OP
D

divyadbzgt1

Broken In
Thanks for the reply. But tell me can i buy Windows Xp home or Media Centre Edition instead of X64 and buy X64 later. What will be the price of Windows Xp home, media centre, X64 Xp pro

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I have no idea about the prices, but you CANNOT buy Media Center Edition. It is for sale only with a new PC and is not for retail sale.

MCE is for use with HTPC's. Doesn't make much sense to use it with desktops. MCE got popular because of native BDA driver support. This is useless in India as we're years away from HDTV transmission. Unlike Australia which started off in 2001 and by 2008 all free-to-air terrestrial channels (and ABC and SBS radio) will be compulsarily digital only. I've used MCE, but the picture overlay for HDTV reception was not as good as other free alternatives.

Keith

geek

Broken In
What you can do is buy windows xp 32 bit now. I think that microsoft is providing free upgrades to WIn XP 64 bit edition for registered users of Win XP 32 bit edition. So buy 32 bit now and upgrade to 64 bit for free later.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Yep, MS has this exchange program where u can exchange ur xp license key for 64bit one. But then u cannot use ur copy of 32bit xp!
Or you can wait for longhorn 64bit edition, since there are no differences in user experience (UI/grafx/etc) but only a few driver and still fewer apps are available for 64bit edition.

OP
D

divyadbzgt1

Broken In
Thanks

thats very nice coz MS is giving the exchange program. NOw i will buy windows Xp Home SP2 and exchange it for 64 later , am i right. Can you tell me the cost of home SP2 and Pro SP2.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Re: Thanks

divyadbzgt1 said:
thats very nice coz MS is giving the exchange program. NOw i will buy windows Xp Home SP2 and exchange it for 64 later , am i right. Can you tell me the cost of home SP2 and Pro SP2.

No. You have no right to do so.
For 'HOME', do the following steps:
Buy a fully licenced copy of HOME SP2 → upgrade it to XP Pro → contact to your nearest Microsoft office/software vendor → trade out the copy of XP Pro → trade in a copy of XP x64.

rajas

In the zone
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program:

The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program enables customers who have purchased Windows XP Professional (32-bit) to exchange it for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. You will need to have an x64 processor (the AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium 4 with EM64T, or Intel Xeon with EM64T) to run the new software.
Note: Orders for the Technology Advancement Program must be placed by July 31, 2005.

chk out the link for more info:
Exchange Windows XP Professional (32-bit) for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for a limited time

More over, u cannot purchase Genuine copy of XP 64-bit Edition retail copy and is available through PC manufacturers world wide.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
rajas said:
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program:

The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program enables customers who have purchased Windows XP Professional (32-bit) to exchange it for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. You will need to have an x64 processor (the AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium 4 with EM64T, or Intel Xeon with EM64T) to run the new software.
Note: Orders for the Technology Advancement Program must be placed by July 31, 2005.

chk out the link for more info:
Exchange Windows XP Professional (32-bit) for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for a limited time

More over, u cannot purchase Genuine copy of XP 64-bit Edition retail copy and is available through PC manufacturers world wide.

You have written the same thing that I have already written. You can trade out XP Pro only to get a XP x64. Details: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24789&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

hcp006sl

Journeyman
divyadbzgt1 said:
But where can i get those

Drivers at MSI:*www.msi.com.tw/

Anti-Virus: Those who use products like McAfee Inc.'s Internet Security Suite or Trend Micro Inc.'s PC-cillin Internet Security will have to wait until 2006, when the first x64 Edition products from these companies are expected to ship. Enterprise customers can purchase Symantec Corp.'s AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0 product or McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i, which supports x64 Windows. Hoping to capitalize on the gap in antivirus products, San Diego-based Eset LLC has released a version of its NOD32 software for 64-bit systems. All versions of the avast! antivirus from Alwil Software are compatible with XP64, including the free Home Edition. Avast! received the VB 100% award from Virus Bulletin and certification from ICSA for virus detection (but not removal); it should provide decent protection.

Firewall: Tiny Software's Tiny Firewall 64 is now available as a public beta and it offers reliable firewall protection. ZoneLabs plans to beta-test a 64-bit-compatible version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite this summer, with final release around September.

Anti-spyware: Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta ran under XP64 with apparent success, and most antispyware programs seem to be compatible with 64-bit systems. FBM Software claims full compatibility for its ZeroSpyware product, as does Tenebril Software for its SpyCatcher. Sunbelt Software is still testing CounterSpy under XP64 and hasn't found any problems yet. The same is true of Spyware X-Terminator from StompSoft and Spyware Doctor from PC Tools. Chances are good that your preferred antispyware program won't complain about a switch to 64-bit Windows.

Another good news: Some malicious software will fail on a 64-bit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom