Windows Vista- Tips n Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
Microsoft Windows Vista
Tips and Tricks

It’s nearly being a year since Microsoft Launched Windows Vista for the public. I came across many people who are using Vista but are unaware of its feature.
If you are one of them, then this guide might help you out…

1) Vista Standard Look: VistaHome Basic has VISTA BASIC color and appearance style but for those who wish to have the STANDARD look can follow the bellow steps:
a) Open Registry Editor by pressing window key+R and typing Regedit.
b) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > registry key.
c) On the right panel, double click Composition key and change its values to 1. Also change the value of CompositionPolicy to 2.
d) Click the VISTA button and type services.msc and open it.
e) Search for Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager and restart it by clicking the restart option.
f) Restart your Windows.
g) When the Windows Reload, right click on desktop>properties> Windows color and appearance and apply Windows Vista Standard style.

2) Create Partitions without Data Loss: Vista has an inbuilt feature which enables the Administrators to split a large partition into smaller partitions without data loss. The only drawback is that the OS itself defines the size which can be split.
a) Right Click on COMPUTER and select Manage.
b) Under the Storage, select Disk Management.
c) The middle screen would be spilt into two parts. The Lower part showing the partitions in block form and upper part showing partitions in tabular form.
d) Right click the partition you wish to split and select Shrink Volume.
e) Define the size you wish to split and click ok to begin the process.

3) Show Run Box on VISTA menu: To bring Run Box on VISTA menu, follow these instructions:
a) Right Click the task bar and select properties.
b) On the Start Menu tab click Customise.
c) Search and check the Run Command check box.
d) Click OK and you’re done.

4) Disable UAP: Though User Access Protection is a good feature but sometimes very irritating. To disable this:
a) Press Windows key+R and type Msconfig.sys and press enter.
b) Go to the Tools tab and search for Disable UAP and click Launch button.
c) Restart your Windows.

5) Disable Hibernate: In order to disable this feature, follow these instructions:
a) Press VISTA button and type CMD.
b) Right click CMD and select Run as Administrator from the menu.
c) In the CMD window, type powercfg –H OFF and press enter.

6) Use 2 or 3 Clocks: In Vista, you can check the time of 2 or 3 time zones simultaneously. To do so, follow the instructions:
a) Click on the System Time showing on the system tray and select Change Date and Time settings.
b) Click on Additional Clocks tab and check the Show this clock option and set the required time zone. You can use 2 such clock and hence total 3 clocks including your own time zone.
c) Click OK and you’re done.

i'll b updating the thread regularly...hope u guys like it as i've tried to explain my point in a simple & step by step language...

saubrl

Broken In
Regarding full transparency in vista, this can be helpful.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77075

Subeejit

"Achtung Stuffen.."
Hi Abhisek,
Can you pls guide how to change the default Public Folder Location (say to another partition) Under Vista Home Basic?

I believe this is done through Group Policy Editor (under other versions of Vista) but for Home Basic?

thnx in adv.

andrewlsz

Right off the assembly line
This is a very useful tips-specially Disable UAP and Disable Hibernate,I will look forward to your other post.

Status
Not open for further replies.