Windows Vista freezes after startup. Help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
I installed Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit after my XP got screwed. The installation went well, no problems. But it freezes after startup, i.e. after I log in to as admin. It load Windows Sidebar & all the programs, but after a few seconds it freezes. Nothin' works! I installed NVIDIA ForceWare 190.38 WHQL Vista 32-bit, after installin' it freezes. When I uninstall, it installs "Standard VGA Graphics ......." driver. When I install NVIDIA drivers, this thing happens. Loads all the programs fine and freezes after few seconds. It runs fine if I uninstall NVIDIA drivers. What's wrong? It doesn't freeze in Safe Mode. I tried Starup Repair, but it didn't find any errors & asked me to restore to last System Restore Point. Should I do this restorin' thing? Please help me, people! I'm postin' this without NVIDIA drivers with NVIDIA card (9800GTX+) :lol:. Please help me!

Krow

Crowman
Google can help you best here. I suggest you try the same drivers in W7. If they don't work then try 185/178 drivers too over there. If noting works, go back to XP. :(

And people say that ATI drivers are bad. :|

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is a problem with nvidia drivers with stock windows Vista. Install Windows Vista, then install all updates which will install an update for WPF performance & DirectX. I would say install Vista SP2 just after installing windows. After your OS is fully updated using Windows Update.... continue with any driver installation.

Windows Vista can check for & download updates even during installation, try doing that. This way from first boot itself you will have a fully updated system.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
There is a problem with nvidia drivers with stock windows Vista. Install Windows Vista, then install all updates which will install an update for WPF performance & DirectX. I would say install Vista SP2 just after installing windows. After your OS is fully updated using Windows Update.... continue with any driver installation.

Windows Vista can check for & download updates even during installation, try doing that. This way from first boot itself you will have a fully updated system.

Last edited:
OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Thank you for the replies :). Is this a known problem with Vista? Or is somethin' wrong? I've installed Vista on IDE mode, is it a'ight? Do I need to enable S.M.A.R.T capability on my HDD? Forgot to mention, I've installed SP1 and then SP2. Installin' Vista again is a big pain in my a$$! Can I just install the updates? Please tell me people.

^Try and install the updates if you have a unlimited bb plan as it win't hurt. I'm using vista for a year or two, i didn't face a problem till i updated to the 190.xx drivers which change my resolution every time i boot or lock my pc or stand-bys..

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Yeah, unlimited Phucin' 256 Kbps conn.! A'ight, I'll install all the Windows Update and then install NVIDIA 186.xx drivers 'cause I love those drivers, awesome performance increments. BTW, which driver are ye usin'?

^Coz i deleted my 186.xx drivers i'm currently sticking with the 190.62 driver. They say they had fixed the resolution problem but aslas! its all the same. :-|

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^No problem with IDE mode, right? 'Cause I've installed Vista in that mode. Heard if I convert IDE to AHCI mode, Vista'll run fine. Do I need to? When I select "Load Optimized Defaults" in BIOS, it asks me if I want to convert to AHCI or leave it with IDE, please tell me what's all this.

raj_v1982

Broken In
for windows xp U need to set it to IDE only
for windows vista or 7 U can set it to anything IDE or AHCI
Posted again:
use nivida 182 driver versions
Posted again:
use nivida 182 driver versions

Last edited:
OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Darn! No luck. This thing happens if I install NVIDIA drivers. WTF!? There seems to be no one with my problem. I tried Google, but they all seem to have a diff. kinda freezin'. Any help guys? BTW can I boot the .iso file from my External HDD or do I need to write it to a DVD?

Krow

Crowman
^You can even do it from OS if you have XP installed. But I recommend burn the iso to DVD and use imgburn (awesome software).

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^I've used Vista for more than a year. It was fine when I had eVGA GeForce 9600GT Akimbo. But this GF9800GTX+ can't seem to negotiate with Vista :wink:. BTW, goin' back to XP. THE awesome OS, maybe better than 7.

But this GF9800GTX+ can't seem to negotiate with Vista :wink:. BTW said:
that is the finest thing u might do. I own a 9800GT on xp, the driver it came with 8 mths back still plays Dark Sector in all its glory.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
People, I've got Vista Ultimate, but when I hit "Install Now", it gives me an error, "Windows was unable to create a required installation folder" Error Code: 0x8007000B. But when I copy the contents of Vista Home Basic from the DVD to the HDD & click "Install Now", it progresses well. But it won't in Vista Ultimate. Is there a solution? Please help me! I need DX10! Can we have DX10 on XP?

If you are getting such errors then just format the drives you got OSs installed. BTW i'm on Vista Ult and never got such errors. mAy Be YoUr CopY oF ViStA is CRAP.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Forgot to mention, I'm tryin' to upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Vista Ultimate. I'm currently usin' Vista Home Basic without GPU. As I said, it was fine when I had GF9600GT. BTW, I got a XP 64-bit CD & when I try to boot from it, there's no "Press any key to continue" option, it just sits there with "Boot from CD/DVD" thing. What's wrong? Is it the XP files on the CD or the CD? Please help me, people.

did you varify that the cd is scratch free. And the answer for your last question:--dx10 is availabe for xp but with buggs and will not make much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom