Windows Operating System For Less Powerful Hardware

sygeek

Technomancer
I have seen many people installing and using Windows XP on really old hardwares. It is really a pain in arse to use it on old hardwares because Windows XP works really slow on them.
There's a workaround to this by using Linux distros such as damn small linux, puppy linux, arch linux (not for newbies) which literally brings it back to life. However if linux is just not you and you still want an XP feel, you can download the Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs ("WinFLP").

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs ("WinFLP") is a thin client operating system from Microsoft, based on Windows XP Embedded, but optimized for older, less powerful hardware. It was released on 8 July 2006. Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is not marketed as a full-fledged general purpose operating system, although it is functionally able to perform most of the tasks generally associated with one. It includes only certain functionality for local workloads such as security, management, document viewing related tasks and the .NET Framework.

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is exclusively available to Microsoft Software Assurance customers, as it is designed to be an inexpensive upgrade option for corporations that have a number of Windows 9x computers, but lack the hardware necessary to support the latest Windows. It is not available through retail or OEM channels.

It needs a minimum of 64MB RAM (128 MB recommended), Hard disk space - 610 MB (1 GB recommended) and CPU - Pentium 233 MHz (Pentium 300Mhz Recommended).

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC Installation (On a Virtual Machine)

More Information Can Be Found Here

Last edited:

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
This should be awesome for gaming! according to wikipedia this should run all apps and games just fine. But I wish I had known about this earlier, as my current setup is just too customized to change :( .
Anyway it would be fun to install this and run some benchmarks.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow... Didn't really knew that! WinFLP huh.... Sounds pretty damn interesting!! :lol:

I should have known about it before I modified Windows XP SP3 to a point, that it installs in a tight space of just 1 GB, and works at a speed of lightning :))

Anyway, I have put this on the list of must try OS, after I am done with Chrome OS.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Any idea regarding:

1. What are the reduced networking capabilities?
2. Any minimum required purchases?
3. Cost of 1 copy?

Arun

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@sakumar79 You need to join the microsoft open license/software assurance program with a minimum of 5 purchases of microsoft's products licenses. There is a other workaround by using "something I'm not allowed to talk about".
I'm still not sure about the reduced network capabilities, you might want to try out the OS (virtually) and see for yourself.
It's not made for an average user instead designed for big companies.

@vineet369 Nah, it is not an alternative to a full-fledged WinXP unless you own a crappy hardware and use it for simple tasks.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@vineet369 Nah, it is not an alternative to a full-fledged WinXP unless you own a crappy hardware and use it for simple tasks.

I kinda imagined that. That's why I put that on the must try OS along with Chrome, which itself isn't a full fledge OS. ;)

Btw, I thought WinFLP was free to download. But I was wrong. I know, I was expecting too much :p

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
@vineet369 Nah, it is not an alternative to a full-fledged WinXP
are you sure? As I see it it can be used as the main OS. Only a few non-essential items (that can be replaced by third party tools) , have been removed.
Bonus: it has the option to not install IE6 :D

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
Btw, I thought WinFLP was free to download. But I was wrong. I know, I was expecting too much :p
'Free' is the last thing on my mind while thinking about Microsoft.
are you sure? As I see it it can be used as the main OS. Only a few non-essential items (that can be replaced by third party tools) , have been removed.
Bonus: it has the option to not install IE6 :D
It is not meant for an average user, though you might like it but you probably don't want to use it as your primary OS. It can be useful sometimes if you want to get the simple tasks done without the bloatedness but I still recommend trying virtually first.

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Installation

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
'Free' is the last thing on my mind while thinking about Microsoft.
Yeah, right! :)) Although its beta versions are pretty good to try, like Office 2010 beta. I used it like for a whole year, before it expired!

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs Installation

That's some nice Tutorial you have spotted! Nice humor in the article. Would be fun reading. ;)

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@asingh: Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs
@arpanmukherjee1: WinLP is based on Windows XP Embedded, so it "maybe" possible, because Windows XP embedded can be installed on a Windows Mobile.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@sakumar79 You need to join the microsoft open license/software assurance program with a minimum of 5 purchases of microsoft's products licenses. There is a other workaround by using "something I'm not allowed to talk about".
I'm still not sure about the reduced network capabilities, you might want to try out the OS (virtually) and see for yourself.
It's not made for an average user instead designed for big companies.

@sygeek: I already have 20 OEM licenses (XP Home and 98SE) purchased earlier... Will they count? I am working in a small office where we have around 20 computers... If I can find out performance, network capabilities, price, etc... I may want to change 98SE systems to XP (I know it is not upgrade per se because OEM licenses are not upgradeable)... Any ideas whom I may contact in this regard? Do note I will need to try it out first before I can go for purchase...

Arun

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
@sakumar79: Dunno much about it but you need to be a customer of Microsoft Software Assurance to access it. Try digging inside this link for more information

Last edited:
Top Bottom