Windows 8 will go on sale on October 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroutkarsh

Canon EOS 600D / 1000D
Microsoft Corp said its new, touch-friendly Windows 8 operating system will be on sale October 26, almost exactly three years after the launch of Windows 7.

As an upgrade for users of Windows XP, Vista or 7, Windows will cost $40. That's much less than Microsoft Corp. has charged for previous operating system upgrades. People who bought a Windows 7 computer on June 2 or later can upgrade for $15.

Source : Windows 8 will go on sale on October 26: Microsoft - Tech News - IBNLive

$40 --> 2.5 K appx. so much less... :)

digitaltab

In the zone
$40 is for those who already own windows 7, so that they will upgrade to windows 8 online, $69 for those who want to buy a hard copy of windows 8 upgrade
$250 (~13-14k) for those who want a brand new windows 8
i doubt they will sell it in India at higher rates...

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
I think most of the Indian users are still having WinXP . Win8 will not be having any initial market here in india .

digitaltab

In the zone
The 15$(1.1k) upgrade form Win7 to Win8 sounds like a sweet deal.

its not 1.1k, bu its 699 INR; for those who bought between june 2, 2012 till january 31, 2013.

rest all prices i have mentioned above.
and these prices in INR are not yet disclosed.

NeoRoxio

Broken In
its not 1.1k, bu its 699 INR; for those who bought between june 2, 2012 till january 31, 2013.

rest all prices i have mentioned above.
and these prices in INR are not yet disclosed.

WHAT? Man I was so happy about that... :(
Anyway I think 2.5k is not bad at all for this OS. Definitely gonna buy it. :thumbs:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
People trading(upgrading) their Win7 licence for a inferior OS, that too paying extra for it? 2012 !

Theodre

In the zone
Hopefully it won't be bad anyway as the window 8 CP have got some good reviews:) Am planning on buying a lap and i will upgrade it to windows 8:-D:cool: Which is according to Dell, Samsung laptops for 699/- INR:) Am not sure everyone can upgrade but the *windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/ is open and after registering they are said to notify for the upgrade...

NeoRoxio

Broken In
People trading(upgrading) their Win7 licence for a inferior OS, that too paying extra for it? 2012 !

Inferior? You kidding me?
It's certain that Metro Start Screen doesn't appeal to everyone but the performance improvement is worth paying for.
I just read an article here on ThinkDigit how Win8 is a lot more secure than Win7. Calling this OS inferior is an understatement, you know.

Hopefully it won't be bad anyway as the window 8 CP have got some good reviews:) Am planning on buying a lap and i will upgrade it to windows 8:-D:cool: Which is according to Dell, Samsung laptops for 699/- INR:) Am not sure everyone can upgrade but the *windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/ is open and after registering they are said to notify for the upgrade...

Well I would suggest you waiting for ultrabooks to roll out with Win8. It will save you the cost of the upgrade and can also perform better. :)

coldhart

Journeyman
windows 8 better for tabs & smartphones but i can't imagine windows without start orb & ui is also very different from previous iterations

NeoRoxio

Broken In
^Yeah I agree it's more inclined towards touch interface. I wanted to say that the Metro is not THAT bad while using a mouse+kb that you should drop the whole OS for it. It just needs a little time to get used to. Trust me, I found it exciting to use the Metro and spent an hour decorating the start screen with apps lol.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^Yeah I agree it's more inclined towards touch interface. I wanted to say that the Metro is not THAT bad while using a mouse+kb that you should drop the whole OS for it. It just needs a little time to get used to. Trust me, I found it exciting to use the Metro and spent an hour decorating the start screen with apps lol.

Compromise ? On openness of the system, forced tablet interface. For you it seems like a toy that you are enjoying playing with, nothing bad with that. But for some people OS is more than that.

NeoRoxio

Broken In
I am baffled. You are saying Win7 is better but Win8 is just Win7 with apps functionality and some UI changes. I would like to know what you can do professional-related on Win7 that you can't on Win8. It's a very wrong notion that people are carrying that Win8 reduces the level of functionality that Win7 provided.
If you hate Metro, then stay away from Metro Apps, stick with the legacy apps. And maneuvering the start menu with a mouse is not a PITA. I used it on a lappy, it seemed tough at first but I learnt the gestures and it became easier.
And yes, I'm using only Metro as a toy, but I'm using the whole Win8 as an OS, as it is meant to be.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I am baffled. You are saying Win7 is better but Win8 is just Win7 with apps functionality and some UI changes. I would like to know what you can do professional-related on Win7 that you can't on Win8. It's a very wrong notion that people are carrying that Win8 reduces the level of functionality that Win7 provided.
If you hate Metro, then stay away from Metro Apps, stick with the legacy apps. And maneuvering the start menu with a mouse is not a PITA. I used it on a lappy, it seemed tough at first but I learnt the gestures and it became easier.
And yes, I'm using only Metro as a toy, but I'm using the whole Win8 as an OS, as it is meant to be.

I wont repeat everything that is being discussed in other similar thread. And I don't hate metro, I think metro is currently the best way to use a touch device (even developed one metro app for phone), but desktop is a different story.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I don't see why anyone would feel compelled to upgrade to Windows 8 when most of the improvements need a touch-based interface for optimum usage.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
$40 is for a digital one time upgrade. Do you guys think it is worth the money spent on? ;)

NeoRoxio

Broken In
I wont repeat everything that is being discussed in other similar thread. And I don't hate metro, I think metro is currently the best way to use a touch device (even developed one metro app for phone), but desktop is a different story.
Agree. We'll see after Oct 26 if this whole Metro funda manages to sustain their reputation.

$40 is for a digital one time upgrade. Do you guys think it is worth the money spent on? ;)
Well I don't know if this logic works or not but I think successive upgrade is generally cheaper than 'skipping' upgrade. Like it's cheaper to upgrade W7 to W8 than XP to 8, so if you plan to stick with Win8 it will cost less to upgrade to W9.
Again I'm telling I'm not sure about this, just a hunch. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom