Windows 8/8.1 hanging, 100 percent disk usage

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 laptop, It came preinstalled with witndows 8 64 bit and I upgraded to windows 8.1 64 Bit.

I am noticing a strange problem, The laptop randomly hangs and slows down for 1-2 min and then becomes normal again !

When I checked in the TM, I noticed that the disk usage is 100 % even though no application is using it(looks something like,what I have attached with this post)

win8_disk_usage.JPG

Has Anyone else faced this problem, can someone tell me how to resolve it ?

Cheers!
Abhijit

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
sometimes it happens even on windows 8. i guess you have mcafee antivirus installed. so better check whether windows defender is disabled or not.
anyway defragment hdd

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
sometimes it happens even on windows 8. i guess you have mcafee antivirus installed. so better check whether windows defender is disabled or not.
anyway defragment hdd

It happens with you as well ?, So its not a problem with my HD ?, and yes I have mcafee installed and WD is turned off

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
It happens with you as well ?, So its not a problem with my HD ?, and yes I have mcafee installed and WD is turned off

sometimes.. antivirus scan also makes the hdd to 100% usage(my bitdefender does). dont forget to defragment the hdd.

I presume it happens at startup?
You cant do a lot about it.

Download PowerDefragmenter and defrag the \windows & \program files &\program files(x86) folders.
Open taskmanager and goto the startup tab, disable unwanted programs.

A pricy yet sure shot method: Get an SSD.

sohan_92

In the zone
From my experience,this thing only happens when feeds are being updated on metro screen tiles.Once update is done disk usage becomes normal.

P.S- I presume this thing only happens when internet is connected to laptop.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
From my experience,this thing only happens when feeds are being updated on metro screen tiles.Once update is done disk usage becomes normal.

P.S- I presume this thing only happens when internet is connected to laptop.

My Friend's Windows 8 laptop also used to have this problem, he rarely connects to internet so its not happening by internet.

I used to have this problem when I newly bought laptop but since then I have changed many av, done refresh, updated to 8.1. Now no problem.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Use the in built AV which is Microsoft Essentials/Defender.Do not use any other third party AV.If you have an SSD don't defragment it and if you have a HDD defragment it at least 2 times per month.

Since there is a default AV + Defragmenter there is no need for 3rd party softwares.

Are you saying that Microsoft Security Essentials is better than kaspersky, NIS adn other AV/IS and we don't need them? And Windows' own disk defragmentator is better than 3rd party tools like Auslogic Disk Defrag Pro?

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
It happens at startup, but I think thats normal because all the programs access the HD simultaneously.

But this happened right in the middle of a game!!!, I am fed-up....solutions anybody ?

win8_disk_usage.JPG

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
It happens at startup, but I think thats normal because all the programs access the HD simultaneously.

But this happened right in the middle of a game!!!, I am fed-up....solutions anybody ?

View attachment 13096

There are several processes which you can stop even from booting by customizing your boot.There is also even facility to run 2 or more processors during booting which might increase performance.
Follow these instructions blindly:*lifehacker.com/5821865/top-10-ways-to-speed-up-windows-boot-time

~ mod edit ~ - Don't post pirate torrent links.

Last edited by a moderator:

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Windows Defender is nothing but a crap in my opinion. I don't use it. And, I've never updated it for a long time. I'm Norton Antivirus 2013 and very satisfied with the outcome. No hanging / random restarts.

Since there is a default AV + Defragmenter there is no need for 3rd party softwares.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

View attachment 13096

you better disable windows updates for some days just to see any change.

Its not Windows Defender but Microsoft Essentials for Windows 8.1.

both are same in windows 8/8.1
In Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Top Bottom