Windows 11 Lenovo Legion laptop stuck in boot loop | please help

Problem

I have a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro laptop that is running Windows 11. I am facing a couple of problems - which seem to be related to each other.

For the last month or so, I have started noticing a problem where my laptop would randomly crash and restart.
This problem is more frequent when I leave the laptop unattended (not a fixed duration; it can be 3 mins, it can be 10 mins) on battery power.

During restart, the laptop would sometimes get stuck in the boot loop.
The "Legion" logo would appear along with the loading circle. Then a black screen. Then the same thing appears again.
Sometimes, the PC would try to diagnose itself while it is stuck in this boot loop. A text appears that goes something like "Diagnosing problems" (or something similar). I don't think it does anything useful in this scenario, because the boot loop would often continue.

After waiting for a while, my laptop eventually boots up successfully.

Can someone please help me with this? I am not sure what the problem is. I do have the latest Windows drivers.
I would not want to visit the Lenovo technicians near me (I have my own reasons for wanting to avoid it), unless it is the last resort. I would rather "format C drive and reinstall Windows 11", if needed.

Notes -
1. I have run chkdsk twice; it did not show any errors in particular.
2. I checked my power savings settings. It is set to sleep after 2 hours when on battery.
3. Regarding updating BIOS: The current BIOS version on my laptop is JUCN43WW. The Lenovo website states that there is an update, version JUCN63WW, that was released on Dec 1 2023. They even provide a download link and stuff. However, I am a bit wary about updating the BIOS. What happens if my laptop decides to crash in the middle!

Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 6800H
Nvidia RTX 3070
32GB RAM
BIOS: JUCN43WW
OS: Windows 11 (with latest drivers, as of writing this post)

patkim

Cyborg Agent
A few suggestions...
  • If Fast Boot is enabled in Firmware (BIOS/UEFI) disable that in both BIOS as well as Power Options in Win11
  • Check if there’s any previous restore point available on System drive and try restoring to an earlier state
  • Run Live Linux for a few hours and observe how it behaves.
  • Next time it happens check Event Viewer if there are any meaningful messages for the reason for restart/crash. It may hint at something.
  • Disable option to ‘restart windows’ when there’s fatal error. It’s generally found in startup & recovery setting in Control Panel-> System-> Advanced System Settings. This may pause at error screen giving you a chance to read the error
  • Use CrystalDiskInfo tool to check the drive health. If you have SSD look for vendor provided tools to check the health as well
  • Check CPU temps but since it happens during idling this may not be much relevant but no harm in checking
  • Consider wipe system drive and a clean install of Windows 11 again. Sometimes that’s faster than troubleshooting.
  • If the issue repeats it might be an underlying HW issue. Consider taking it to official Lenovo service center.

Top Bottom