Why are Tom and Jerry videos on Youtube so highly Disliked

I haven't met a single person, young or old, who disliked Tom and Jerry. Well there are some who are strictly fans of the 50-60s era, but still Tom and Jerry episodes are always hilarious.
Check WB Kids YouTube channel which uploads compilations and various clips stitched together, making it a fun watch for kids and us oldies alike.

Yet, these videos have a lot of dislikes, like 20-30% dislikes. Heck, even those RiceGum and Jake Paul videos have better Like-Dislike ratios. Why are thousands and thousands of people actively disliking a frigging Tom and Jerry video?
Personally i dont hit Like or Dislike unless it evokes a strong positive or negative emotion in me. And i assume thats the same with others...So if people Dislike these Tom and Jerry clips, they are probably very unhappy with it.
This cannot be due to the different art styles from the various generations of Tom and Jerry artists (and the viewers bias towards one).. because same trend of disliking is seen in every Tom and Jerry video.

Now,
  • Is it because Tom and Jerry cartoons are seen as racist? (eg. Tom's owner)
  • Is it because of too much violence? decapitation is really common theme in these cartoons and parents are worried about it. (even though they probably watched it growing up and enjoy it)
  • Or maybe because Tom and Jerry doesnt promote any positive theme or message. Its just a mouse called Jerry being an a$$hole towards Tom the cat and usually the mouse ending up winning in the end.
  • People have become fragile snowflakes who cant handle the violent nature of the cartoons. (but then, offensive and crude joke themed cartoons do very well). Maybe the SJWs want to dislike every traditional cartoons of an era when white supremacy reigned supreme LOL.

If you look at modern cartoons catered to younglings, as tom and Jerry initially was, we hardly see any "art". The jokes are lame, the art style is lazy computer animated, music direction is non-existent... But these new age kids cartoon are way way more popular today.

Last edited:

mobo

Broken In
I am not saying this is the reason for it, but the last time I found myself watching Tom&Jerry videos on youtube, I noticed that the ones which were highly disliked were either:
Recent productions, with higher resolution but poor animation, unlike the classics that 90s kids grew up on, or
Poorly put together, with parts of the story edited out.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Perhaps this is the case, the newer "rebooted" tom and jerry cartoons don't have the same quality as the originals had and perhaps that's why those are disliked.

Hell, there are people who dislike Chuck Jone's tom and jerry cartoons in favour of the older Fred Quimby's cartoons.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Perhaps this is the case, the newer "rebooted" tom and jerry cartoons don't have the same quality as the originals had and perhaps that's why those are disliked.

Hell, there are people who dislike Chuck Jone's tom and jerry cartoons in favour of the older Fred Quimby's cartoons.
man, the Chuck Jones ones makes me puke

Top Bottom