Which WIN OS to Install with this Hardware Specs ?

Kvishal

In the zone
Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a new laptop and it comes with only DOS so I will have to install a OS in it. I need suggestions based on its hardware specifications which is the most compatible Windows OS I should install in it ? Please suggest ?

The Specs are

Pentium Dual Core-3rd Generation
2.4 GHz
64 BIT
2GB Ram can be extended to total of 4GB aswell. (Has an additional 2GB RAM Slot)
500 GB Hard Disk.

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for less than 4gb ram install 32 bit win 7 home premium/pro/ultimate or 32bit win 8(if you like its new interface).

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
for less than 4gb ram install 32 bit win 7 home premium/pro/ultimate or 32bit win 8(if you like its new interface).

I am not sure I understood correctly... But on a 64 Bit Machine why would one install a 32 Bit OS ? or are these two different things ? And Windows 7 will it not lag on this Configuration? I mean will it not be too advanced for such less powerful Hardware Specifications ?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
What Windows OS is there which is not pathetic other than Windows 7?

Anyway, with 2 GB 32 bit, with 4 GB 64 bit.

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
What Windows OS is there which is not pathetic other than Windows 7?

Anyway, with 2 GB 32 bit, with 4 GB 64 bit.

Ok Got it ! So what you mean to say is, If I have 2 GB RAM go for 32 Bit and if I have 4 GB RAM go for 64 Bit right ? But does the 64 BIT OS has any advantages against 32 BIT OS ? If Yes what are those advantages ?

And does Windows 8 Sucks even when compared against Windows 7 ?

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Ok Got it ! So what you mean to say is, If I have 2 GB RAM go for 32 Bit and if I have 4 GB RAM go for 64 Bit right ?
But does the 64 BIT OS has any advantages against 32 BIT OS ? If Yes what are those advantages ?

For daily tasks you cannot differentiate between 32 bit & 64 bit OS, IMO getting a 64 bit OS makes more sense today simply because it leaves you with a upgrade path for more RAM.

I would pick windows 8 over windows 7 anyday.

Win8 has lower memory footprint I think
yes it is

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
In my knowledge it will do butter smooth.

FYI : win 8 works better on slower systems as compared to win 7

flyingcow

Shibe
but some applications are leaving 32 bit and wholly shifting to 64 bit, example adobe CS6 stuff...
if you wont be using such applications go with 32 bit

ithehappy

Human Spambot
windows 8 isnt all that bad,i prefer 7 but i have 8 on my htpc as a primary os and its great as a htpc os
I don't think there is any OS which I tried to like so much other than Windows 8.1 Pro. Installed it three times, and each time I found a new problem and was 'forced' back to Seven! Last week I broke the DVD, and it made me feel good :|

First time I couldn't find a way to have two users at log-in, but that was solved with the hep from people of seven forums.

Next time I couldn't open my router's configuration page (192.168.0.1) with all the browsers I tried! This was the killer deal!

Needless to say the first thing anyone will hate is that new Tiles childishness on a non touch device! However apps like StartIsBack and all are there to solve it. The only advantage of Windows 8.1 was the Screen Mirroring feature which is unavailable for Win 7, which I liked. Also Win 8.1 is more optimized for laptop's battery efficiency, at least the report says like that. But I am, what you people call a power user, don't care how much resource one OS sucks from my rig, it ain't that bad :cool:
Ok Got it ! So what you mean to say is, If I have 2 GB RAM go for 32 Bit and if I have 4 GB RAM go for 64 Bit right ? But does the 64 BIT OS has any advantages against 32 BIT OS ? If Yes what are those advantages ?

Yes, if you have 4 GB 64 bit is recommended. Below 4 GB, 32 bit.
And yes, Windows 8 sucks when exactly compared with Windows 7. But again, you might find Windows 8 cool, if I didn't face the problems with Windows 8.1 then I would not bash it to be honest. I will try Windows 9 again once it's released, but never 8.1 again :|

PS : Sounds like it's you laptop, so it might sound crazy but I will advice Windows 8.1 regardless of my hatred towards it. Cause it's kinda low powered config, and as Win 8.1 is really well optimized for lower specified hardware it might run fine than Windows 7. If for some reason you don't like it you can always go back to super trustworthy Seven :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
3rd gen pentium dual core is more than enough to run win 7 or win 8 smoothly.all processors are 64bit os compatible for years now.64bit os has no user noticeable advantage over 32bit except the ability to use 4gb or more ram.win 8 will use less ram & slightly more power saving(longer battery backup) but again the difference won't be significant compared to win 7.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I don't think there is any OS which I tried to like so much other than Windows 8.1 Pro. Installed it three times, and each time I found a new problem and was 'forced' back to Seven! Last week I broke the DVD, and it made me feel good :|

First time I couldn't find a way to have two users at log-in, but that was solved with the hep from people of seven forums.

Next time I couldn't open my router's configuration page (192.168.0.1) with all the browsers I tried! This was the killer deal!

Needless to say the first thing anyone will hate is that new Tiles childishness on a non touch device! However apps like StartIsBack and all are there to solve it. The only advantage of Windows 8.1 was the Screen Mirroring feature which is unavailable for Win 7, which I liked. Also Win 8.1 is more optimized for laptop's battery efficiency, at least the report says like that. But I am, what you people call a power user, don't care how much resource one OS sucks from my rig, it ain't that bad :cool:

Yes, if you have 4 GB 64 bit is recommended. Below 4 GB, 32 bit.
And yes, Windows 8 sucks when exactly compared with Windows 7. But again, you might find Windows 8 cool, if I didn't face the problems with Windows 8.1 then I would not bash it to be honest. I will try Windows 9 again once it's released, but never 8.1 again :|

PS : Sounds like it's you laptop, so it might sound crazy but I will advice Windows 8.1 regardless of my hatred towards it. Cause it's kinda low powered config, and as Win 8.1 is really well optimized for lower specified hardware it might run fine than Windows 7. If for some reason you don't like it you can always go back to super trustworthy Seven :)
ohh i see you were hit by the wifi bug,i touch wood didnt have that issue but alot of my friends had it,8.1 supposedly fixed it
i like windows 8 but i prefer 7 as my daily os
maybe 8.1 update 1 will change that :)

Neuron

Electronic.
Get 4GB ram and install 64 bit windows 7. Haven't used win 8 that much. So can't really say much about it.

amjath

Human Spambot
I used Windows 8 for testing on a pentium 4, 1.5Gig RAM TBH i was shocked to see Windows 8 performed well over Windows 7 in its first boot, but the worst thing happened is drivers. My motherboard audio output is faulty, so a sound card with no support was useless. So sticking with Windows XP.
For [MENTION=92565]Kvishal[/MENTION] Try Windows 8, you will feel butter smooth and blazing speed

$hadow

Geek in making
Windows 8.1 is optimised for this kind of specs or even more lower than these. When windows 8 performance is good on low specs I feel like 8.1 will a little better than 8 in terms of performance and fluidity.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I used Windows 8 for testing on a pentium 4, 1.5Gig RAM TBH i was shocked to see Windows 8 performed well over Windows 7 in its first boot, but the worst thing happened is drivers. My motherboard audio output is faulty, so a sound card with no support was useless. So sticking with Windows XP.
For [MENTION=92565]Kvishal[/MENTION] Try Windows 8, you will feel butter smooth and blazing speed

i also installed windows 7 on my pentium 4 HT 531 3ghz , it had the same issues with the sound card, after installing numerous xp drivers it wasnt working so i tried Realtek HD drivers and it worked,try it out it may work for u
xp runs slower than 7 on my p4 pc
i havent tried windows 8 on the p4 pc yet since i fried the gpu years ago :D
does it work with the onboard gpu?

Top Bottom