Which laptop is better amongst all of these?

Shirish1294

Broken In
Hi...

Can you guys suggest which laptop is worth buying amongst all these?

Lenovo Ideapad L340
Lenovo Legion Y540
Asus Rog Strix G
Acer Nitro 5 (9th Gen)
Acer Nitro 5 (8th Gen)

I mostly need a laptop for;

Multimedia
Internet surfing
Heavy multitasking
Heavy Photoshop Work
Occasionally Premiere pro

Looks are equally important. Not a fan of Legion Y540 and Acer Nitro 5 as they both look kind of ugly, but still included them in the list because of their good configuration. For the same reason, I like Asus Vivobook series but unfortunately, they only come with MX250 graphics cards.

Also, open to other suggestions as well. My budget is 60,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Shirish1294

Shirish1294

Broken In
Questionnaire for laptop/notebook purchase
Sorry. I thought the info I gave was enough as I was asking to choose any one model out of what I have suggested.

Here are the details.

1) What is your budget? (INR 60,000)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Multimedia
Internet surfing
Heavy multitasking
Heavy Photoshop Work
Occasionally Premiere pro

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

I guess i5 is what I'll get in my budget.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: N/A
b. Dislike: N/A

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) )
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam))
  • No AMD
  • No Apple

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No particular reason. I trust intel processors as I've been using them all my life.
I have rarely seen a processor going bad(intel or amd) in either desktop or laptop,it is always the mobo which dies first & that is independent of processor brand. The only reason left for trust then is performance/heating issues & the latest gen amd processors either match or even left intel processors behind on this count. It is your choice though but just letting you know that you are limiting your options.

OP
Shirish1294

Shirish1294

Broken In
I have rarely seen a processor going bad(intel or amd) in either desktop or laptop,it is always the mobo which dies first & that is independent of processor brand. The only reason left for trust then is performance/heating issues & the latest gen amd processors either match or even left intel processors behind on this count. It is your choice though but just letting you know that you are limiting your options.

I can see what you are trying to say. You are right perhaps.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks SaiyanGoku. What will be your 2nd pick? I've heard that L340 has bad thermal design which affects its performance. Is Asus ROG G good?
Don't buy any new laptop with old GPUs. GTX 1650 is the lowest end one should get in this budget. A 1050 doesn't justifies paying more than 35k.

Edit: IIRC, Y540 comes with a 180W adapter and 512GB ssd while L340 comes with 135W adapter and no ssd.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't buy any new laptop with old GPUs. GTX 1650 is the lowest end one should get in this budget. A 1050 doesn't justifies paying more than 35k.
To add,don't buy any laptop without ssd. Also I don't think any new laptop comes with 1050 under 45k & I doubt it will ever go below that in foreseeable future(1050 equivalent laptops below 45k except may be in oct sale with all the discount offers).

Y540 ~ ROG G G531 > Nitro 5 9th gen > FX505 (AMD) >> L340, provided all have i5 9300H & GTX 1650. Avoid older Nitro 5 as well as L340, check Jarrod Tech's video on L340.

Y540 has been on sale for 60-62k consistently as I find its looks to be more professional than Nitro 5 or FX505.

OP
Shirish1294

Shirish1294

Broken In
To add,don't buy any laptop without ssd. Also I don't think any new laptop comes with 1050 under 45k & I doubt it will ever go below that in foreseeable future(1050 equivalent laptops below 45k except may be in oct sale with all the discount offers).
Agree. SSD is a must.

I haven't seen any laptop with 1050 that is below 40k either.

OP
Shirish1294

Shirish1294

Broken In
Y540 ~ ROG G G531 > Nitro 5 9th gen > FX505 (AMD) >> L340, provided all have i5 9300H & GTX 1650. Avoid older Nitro 5 as well as L340, check Jarrod Tech's video on L340.

Y540 has been on sale for 60-62k consistently as I find its looks to be more professional than Nitro 5 or FX505.

Oh! So L340 is so much inferior. Thanks for to the point answer Anupam. Really appreciate it.

footballfan

Right off the assembly line
I got the FX505 that @whitestar_999 had mentioned in the 4th post, 2 weeks ago (review pending!) and so far it's turned out to be a great choice. The 120hz display is really nice.

You have mentioned that you will be doing a lot of multimedia work, so you need to ensure you get a screen with great color reproduction. Something about the RGB reproduction (maybe someone else can guide you here).

Point being, that should probably be a bigger priority over some other factors.

I got the FX505 that @whitestar_999 had mentioned in the 4th post, 2 weeks ago (review pending!) and so far it's turned out to be a great choice. The 120hz display is really nice.

You have mentioned that you will be doing a lot of multimedia work, so you need to ensure you get a screen with great color reproduction. Something about the RGB reproduction (maybe someone else can guide you here).

Your laptop has something like 70% sRGB & 50% ARGB, sadly that's the case with other laptops at that price from what I know. Maybe something like Asus ZenBook 13 has a better display but at that cost of performance. So OP doesn't have much choice.

OP
Shirish1294

Shirish1294

Broken In

I do all of my work on y desktop. The laptop is mainly for some work during traveling and/or photoshop designing. That's why I mentioned the "Occasional Premiere Pro" work.

Top Bottom