Which cloud storage service do digit members uses (if any)?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
With the ever increasing number of media that I generate and realizing that keeping them all offline is a very risky affair, I have decided that I do need some form of cloud storage in order to have peace of mind.
I already use dropbox for having a backup of all my documents. My requirement are simple:
1. Not costly
2. Secure (of course)
3. Good privacy policy
4. 2 TB of space (since I figure I would be storing all the pictures and few videos. For this even 1 TB is ok for now, but I think 2 TB is quite comfortable).

Now, I have researched on One drive, Google drive, Amazon cloud and some more, and they are either quite costly (dropbox), have shady privacy policy (Google) or have bundled things I dont want (Microsoft), or are limited to 1 TB (Microsoft again).

So, I just happen to come across this cloud service which was promoted on XDA: Thunderdrive: Get Lifetime Cloud Storage for Under $60 with Two Amazing Deals

The cloud service seems a good and real thing as per my current research. Have a one time promotional amount to pay of about $60 and you get 2 TB of storage. It doesn't have Android or desktop client but promises to launch soon. (Not much important for me anyway). Says it provides 256-AES encryption and in a Youtube video also promised to launch a server in India too (I have emailed about this, and am expecting a reply soon).

Youtube video:

I want to know the views of my fellow friends here. Does it seems shady to you guys?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I use Google drive, One Drive for important docs and Mega, Mediafire for sharing large files. My cloud storage needs are minimal as I keep redundant offline backup of important data.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get Office 365 6 users 6TB(1TB per user account) 1 year version for 4.4k from amazon(cloudtail) which is the best deal for Indian users eyes closed.Only limitation is 15gb max file size which is irrelevant if you use winzip/winrar/7zip for splitting & password protecting files(which you should anyway).Don't rely on these "lifetime storage services" for they will never work in the long run.It is basically impossible for a business to be commercially viable selling lifetime storage in TBs.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Vyom mere bhai where is your excel comparison list?
Reliable and never ending one's are Google Drive, Onedrive, AWS. Privacy is there but they all will always allow CIA, NSA to get in. Go to darknet if you want some ultra secure one's. BTW Onedrive is giving 100gb space for 1 year if you have a Samsung phone.
You are concerned about privacy but you are willing to bet on a service which will have a server in India. Even modiji will be able to view your files if they do that. There are tons of services like them. Got a mail from this company few days back Houm They all are good, some might be shabby but you should put your money in the big 3.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am actually thinking about sharing costs for Office 365 6 users 6tb/year plan with others.Say 3 people will share the cost & each get 2 accounts with 2TB onedrive space for 1500/year(even cheaper if buy during some sale,this prime day amazon sale this 6 user 6tb pack was available for 3200).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I am actually thinking about sharing costs for Office 365 6 users 6tb/year plan with others.Say 3 people will share the cost & each get 2 accounts with 2TB onedrive space for 1500/year(even cheaper if buy during some sale,this prime day amazon sale this 6 user 6tb pack was available for 3200).
If its around 1000, then I am in.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Google Drive, Dropbox, MEGA and my own VPS storage. Mostly everything is spread out between these.

I use Syncthing to sync files between my phone, my PC and my VPS storage.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Google One - 2 TB - ₹650/month
Hetzner - 2 TB - € 9.90/month
Kimsufi - 2 TB - €5.99/month
Oneprovider - 2 TB - $8.33/month
Soyoustart - 2 TB - €4.99/month

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
VPS is paid, obviously. Syncthing is a serverless P2P syncing application (free and open source).

Rest are free tier.
How much & for what storage?

Google One - 2 TB - ₹650/month
Hetzner - 2 TB - € 9.90/month
Kimsufi - 2 TB - €5.99/month
Oneprovider - 2 TB - $8.33/month
Soyoustart - 2 TB - €4.99/month
Onedrive 6TB(office 365 pack amazon India)--€ 4.89/$5.45/Rs.375/month & that's the usual price.During recent amazon prime sale it was €3.88/$3.48/Rs.267/month

*www.dropbox.com/s/l4cwiyco7603akb/8b5ec6a8-9527-46d1-8676-1f745c3765e0.jpg?dl=1
I could never find out how much my educational GDrive limit is, it doesn't show used % in GDrive webpage or app. 10TB is nice. My Drive is filled with like 45GB. I keep everything in my laptop + backup of important stuff in external HDD. A bit hesitant to upload pics to Drive, but I guess I can zip it up & upload.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright, so this blew up.
Well, the google drive is very lucrative, but I just don't trust Google's privacy policy. I might just sell my soul to the devil, and they are blunt about it too in their privacy policy.

Trust on M$ is a bit better than Google in this regard. And I did think hard about M$'s offer of Office 365 plan, but the issue with that is, there is no 2 TB plan. And I don't really need their Office 365 plan, since I no longer use Windows as my primary OS (Mint, ftw).
The 6 TB plan (1 TB plan for each user) is a hassle, since I don't want to maintain multiple Microsoft accounts just to be able to use all 6 TB of cloud storage (I am not too keen to share my cloud with someone, that's another hassle).

I also researched on the "OneDrive for Business Plan 2" which offers upto 5 TB per user at Rs 660/month and doesn't include 365 bundle (which I don't require anyway). But storage is limited to 1 TB per user, unless we can pay for 5 users, then we can unlock the storage to 5 TB per user.

So that's why I am confused. Hence (and billubakra will be happy about this), I made a spreadsheet: Cloud storage

Here's the screenshot of the table:
*i.imgur.com/M4JOF3k.png

Sidenote: Since no cloud storage provides Linux native support, a part of is keen to look for another (potentially costlier options) given in this article: Best Cloud Storage for Linux 2019: Pleasing the Penguin

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 6 TB plan (1 TB plan for each user) is a hassle, since I don't want to maintain multiple Microsoft accounts just to be able to use all 6 TB of cloud storage (I am not too keen to share my cloud with someone, that's another hassle).
Why not keep 2 accounts to yourself(2TB) & give away 4 other accounts to 2 people(2 each) so 3 people share the cost & get 2TB each per year,isn't it same like onedrive business plan but only cheaper?Also I don't think 6 accounts share anything other than billing statement,I mean data in 6 accounts is all separate.

If you only care about storage(onedrive,google,amazon usually have redundancy so low risk of data loss) then you can just rent a VPS/seedbox & use that as storage(of course with no redundancy meaning if something happens to service provider's hdd then your data is gone). 1TB seedbox is available for ~480/month.

Top Bottom