Where to create Pagefile partition....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
I came to know that using a seprate partition for Pagefile speeds up the system. I have a 2.4 Ghz PIV with 512 Mb Ddr RAM, Samsung 120 GB primary and Seagate 80 GB secondary drive. Now where should i create my partition for keeping Pagefile in it. Also what should be the partition size and cluster size (default NTFS is 4k) that would be most effective.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
first best option would be on the drive other than ur OS

that is secondary drive
next option , on the furthest ntfs (in case of w2k/xp) partition ie last drive letter

next would be same partition as windows file

since u already have 512 , i dont think u need huge pagefile files . try to keep it short and spread over 2-3 partitions

digen

Youngling
Well to add to what klinux has suggested read this excellent article on virtual memory by alex nichol(MVP).
It should certainly enlighten you of the inner workings of virtual memory under windows xp.

hafees

In the zone
The first partition will be the fastest one. so make a 1 GB partition with 64 k cluster size. 4 GB for Windows, 6 GB for Program Files, 4 GB (may be more ) for ur My Doucments.

technoteen

Journeyman
you should cerate the page file partition on your secondary drive(also hope that you have connected to secondary ide of your system, it increases speed of disk operations) and it should not be bistributed but have a dedicated partiton to it

the partition should be ntfs with deafult cluster size and size = 1536 mb (3*ram, normally you should have 2.5 * ram but then you will be troubled many times with low diskspace error) then select the "let windows manage my pagefile size" on that drive and disable page file on all others drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom