WhatsApp users will have to agree to new terms to continue using the service

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
WhatsApp's users were greeted by a notification earlier today about the company updating its terms and privacy policy for users and businesses. The pop-up alert included three key updates about the change in terms and privacy policies. WhatsApp's users can choose to agree to the terms and continue using the service but the changes in the terms and privacy policy will be in effect February 8 onwards.

The notification alert states that the update to terms and privacy policy includes more information about the messaging service and how it processes a user’s data. Besides, businesses can now have a look at how to use Facebook hosted services to store and manage their WhatsApp chats. The new update to terms also elaborates on how WhatsApp partners with Facebook for integration across

Source: WhatsApp updates its terms and privacy policy and you may want to read the fine print | Digit

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Who didn't see this coming? Did you really think Facebook acquired WhatsApp just to sit on it?

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Got the pop-up again today. Not planning to accept till last day.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
A funny outcome of this is Elon musk asking his Twitter followers to use Signal led to the rise in stock of a company that's completely unrelated

Source : Elon Musk told his followers to 'use Signal,' leading to 1,100% surge in unrelated stock with similar name

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Yup. That was funny.
Also, since I quit WA altogether (which I did to FB couple of days back), I have following plan:
1. Take backups of important contacts. Manually.
2. Delete all chat history.
3. Restrict all permissions to WA.
4. Disable cloud backup feature. (That I should have done long time ago anyway).
5. Not connect anyone on WA, and even if I do, don't talk any personal information.

One last thing I would also do, is to provide Telegram contact information on my WA status. :p

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Meanwhile private group chats and contacts of whatsapp showing up on Google Search WhatsApp’s Private Groups Can Be Seen by Anyone via Google
^^ Yup. That was funny.
Also, since I quit WA altogether (which I did to FB couple of days back), I have following plan:
1. Take backups of important contacts. Manually.
2. Delete all chat history.
3. Restrict all permissions to WA.
4. Disable cloud backup feature. (That I should have done long time ago anyway).
5. Not connect anyone on WA, and even if I do, don't talk any personal information.

One last thing I would also do, is to provide Telegram contact information on my WA status. :p
Never did enable cloud chat. And glad I didn't. Knew there could be a catch. Good thing I didn't upload all chats and media in plaintext to Google.

kartikoli

Busy!!
I am going to use DP that says moving to Telegram/Signal so people can find me there before deleting WA, though its really hard to switch but we have to do it.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
^^
Lol, NASA and UNESCo, Never give awards to apps (Rather why shud they, one is a space org. and other is for culture)

That sanskrit code, can not be used for android and iOS app making.

surprising that people got fooled by it.

"Unkills" are also on reddit :shock::shock:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
"Unkills" are also on reddit :shock::shock:
No, but there is a subreddit called /r/theunkillnetwork dedicated to sharing and propagating viral whatsapp messages.
^^
Lol, NASA and UNESCo, Never give awards to apps (Rather why shud they, one is a space org. and other is for culture)

That sanskrit code, can not be used for android and iOS app making.

surprising that people got fooled by it.
Yeah, it's fabricated because Indians tend to react positively to such messages.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
No, but there is a subreddit called /r/theunkillnetwork dedicated to sharing and propagating viral whatsapp messages.

That place is real creep. Full of Pseudo-Patriotism. Like, Half of these cringe messages being shared on whatsapp dont make sense.

It may even become reason for Zuckerberg to make whatsapp subscription based (jk) :duh2:o_O

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That place is real creep. Full of Pseudo-Patriotism. Like, Half of these cringe messages being shared on whatsapp dont make sense.

It may even become reason for Zuckerberg to make whatsapp subscription based (jk) :duh2:o_O
Lol. That subreddit was started actually to mock those messages. It actually is a satirical subreddit.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
WhatsApp has now delayed the deadline to 15 May. This is extremely clever, IMO, as the users are likely going to accept the prompt whenever it comes up thinking 15 May is a long time away, and then forget about it.

On a different note, maybe we should get together and start a Digit matrix server.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
WhatsApp has now delayed the deadline to 15 May. This is extremely clever, IMO, as the users are likely going to accept the prompt whenever it comes up thinking 15 May is a long time away, and then forget about it.

On a different note, maybe we should get together and start a Digit matrix server.
Sure, let me read up on it a bit. See how feasible it is.

Perhaps we can run it on krow dot me.

Last edited:
OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

We're more than set with signal though. I can't think of more than 5 names who currently use matrix or advocate for it.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I can't think of more than 5 names who currently use matrix or advocate for it.

Maybe that's because not enough people know about it.

Maybe Matrix isn't quite ready for daily driver usage, but the fact that its federated makes it so appealing to me.

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
I am going to use DP that says moving to Telegram/Signal so people can find me there before deleting WA, though its really hard to switch but we have to do it.
You do that today and telegram will change their policies sooner or later :)

Top Bottom