WhatsApp Fraud

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Call came on relatives mobile number from 7387824782 (fraud) today @10.31
pretending to be some relative and asked for WhatsApp code, which was mistakenly sent to relative's mobile number.
Relative did mistake and gave WhatsApp code to that Fraud number.
Relative checked WhatsApp which was logged out (as it should be), relative then logged in to WhatsApp.

Now, we have the recording, mobile number How to proceed further? and what else needs to check?
Where to lodge complaint?

Also my concern is multi-device feature from WhatsApp. Is it released?

urgent matter...
@whitestar_999

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Contact Whatsapp support and see. I think there should be a way to handle such cases since these seem to happen pretty frequently.

Another way I think is if you have an active session on a browser, you should be able to reset as well.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
There is a feature in whatsapp to log out from all devices except that is in your hand rt. now. Its for whatsapp web only, and thus I don't think whatsapp have deployed multi device support. As OTP is one time password, you don't need to worry now for the the scammer again logging into the device. You may do what @Desmond David suggested and contact whatsapp support.

You may also report this case to local authorities and they will, if they are willing, at least block the above number and at most catch the culprit and make him pay a hefty fine and other charges (that is if he is not underage XD), the key phrase being if they are willing, but chances are they don't care.

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Contact Whatsapp support and see. I think there should be a way to handle such cases since these seem to happen pretty frequently.

Another way I think is if you have an active session on a browser, you should be able to reset as well.

Just mailed them ( android_web@support.whatsapp.com ) (no other way). I am not sure what they will do about this issue?
I can't see any active session on WhatsApp Web.
call came in 10.31 then WhatsApp reset done on 10.40. What can I happen in those 10 min?

Other than WhatsApp, any other concerns about bank security I need to concern?

As it was OTP (one time password), other than WhatsApp, where else we can use that WhatsApp code?

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Wow Scammers here too. Let me have some fun with whatsapp scammers. Had a good time with Telegram's Fake carders.

Dont they have truecaller?
1601020059045.png

He is a reputed scoomer trying to haxx whatsapp.

Æsoteric Positron

Just mailed them ( android_web@support.whatsapp.com ) (no other way). I am not sure what they will do about this issue?
They will make sure that spammer has no longer access to any part of the account.
call came in 10.31 then WhatsApp reset done on 10.40. What can I happen in those 10 min?
Much, but apparently they didn't do anything.

Other than WhatsApp, any other concerns about bank security I need to concern?

As it was OTP (one time password), other than WhatsApp, where else we can use that WhatsApp code?
Nothing, if you aren't sharing ur relative ain't sharing sensitive bank details over WhatsApp as they could see the messages sent.

Nothing, it's just that ,one time password. Once its inserted it becomes redundant.

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Nothing, if you aren't sharing ur relative ain't sharing sensitive bank details over WhatsApp as they could see the messages sent.

is that possible for low network coverage area and slow internet speeds?

They will make sure that spammer has no longer access to any part of the account.

No. Their reply was machine generated..

##- WhatsApp Support -##
Hi,
Thanks for your message.
WhatsApp is designed for mobile phones and computers. We offer limited support for Android tablets with an active SIM card. However, WhatsApp isn’t compatible with iPad.
If you have an Android, iPhone, or KaiOS phone, you can download WhatsApp from your respective app store.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to help!

--
WhatsApp Support Team

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Don't worry about Bank details from Whatsapp account hack only.
Just make sure that the account is locked out ASAP so that the fraudster cannot misuse it further.

The only problem is that the fraudster may have access to all the chat history of Whatsapp.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Just make sure that the account is locked out ASAP so that the fraudster cannot misuse it further.

The only problem is that the fraudster may have access to all the chat history of Whatsapp.

Chat history is very less likely, As it is stored in G-Drive and I hope OP's relatives did not share there G-Mail Password with them. Which is required to backup the chat history. So when the scammer logged in, He would have only found groups, And that too, Without chat history.

Æsoteric Positron

is that possible for low network coverage area and slow internet speeds?
Umm..... not sure what you mean, but rest assured, now the chances of bank details being compromised is close to nil (kudos to @RumbaMon19 making aware about the G-drive storage mechanism).
No. Their reply was machine generated..
Lol, guess WhatsApp doesn't care about user satisfaction now. The automated reply didn't even assured real people may get in touch.

It's funny how less we can rely on authorities. Once my phone got stolen by a man. I promptly gave police the IMEI code of the stolen phone, along with other details. Needless to say the police did nothing, giving a "automated response".

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

Access to chat history even after getting logged out?
Because after receiving call relative opened WhatsApp, which said
"Your phone number is no longer registered with WhatsApp on this phone.......
If you didn't do this verify, your phone and log back into your account.
Verify and ok"

So after reading this message they instantly verified and registered WhatsApp again on their device.
That fraudster may have access to WhatsApp for not more than 5-10 min.

You can't see previous chats on mobile WhatsApp. Only new chats.
In those 10 mins WhatsApp Web and chat history can be read. But when there is low internet coverage and slow speeds on mobile device. it shows loading on WhatsApp Web, when you try to read previous chats.
I don't know if fraudster can backup those WhatsApp Web chats.
Chat history is very less likely, As it is stored in G-Drive and I hope OP's relatives did not share there G-Mail Password with them. Which is required to backup the chat history. So when the scammer logged in, He would have only found groups, And that too, Without chat history.

No not shared any password
Only shared WhatsApp code.
Better to report this to police if you haven't already

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

I think police will do nothing. But I will ask relative to report it.
I am not aware where to report cyber crime complaints in Maharashtra.
Umm..... not sure what you mean, but rest assured, now the chances of bank details being compromised is close to nil (kudos to @RumbaMon19 making aware about the G-drive storage mechanism).

Lol, guess WhatsApp doesn't care about user satisfaction now. The automated reply didn't even assured real people may get in touch.

It's funny how less we can rely on authorities. Once my phone got stolen by a man. I promptly gave police the IMEI code of the stolen phone, along with other details. Needless to say the police did nothing, giving a "automated response".

When internet speed on mobile is low, then it takes time to load previous chats or even recent chats on WhatsApp Web.
That's what I found when I tried.

You are on your own now. Authorities will do nothing.
Lost 3 phones, 1 - note 5 pro (we traced location & mobile number, man's photo but police did nothing) and 2 note 7 pro devices.
They have their nexus but they don't want to help you. They just fed up from their job.
Even government introduced lost mobile blocking service, but it's useless I don't see anything happening from this.
*ceir.gov.in/Home/index.jsp

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
^See if you want, you can report here.

Cybercrime.gov.in

After reporting, you will get a pdf of report (which u can use to harass the scammer:twisted:) about 5 days later police will contact u and ask if u want to lodge FIR against the scoomers. Then it depends on you if you want to or not if the case is settled.

Æsoteric Positron

When internet speed on mobile is low, then it takes time to load previous chats or even recent chats on WhatsApp Web.
That's what I found when I tried.
Oh, I dunno about whatsapp OTP verifier nowadays, but he could have logged into whatsapp android, though it used to be a PITA before (I used to do it, to enable whatsapp on my older phn no. through a new device and SIM).

No not shared any password *emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji28.png
Only shared WhatsApp code.
Then, he is safe IMO
I think police will do nothing. But I will ask relative to report it.
Yeah, no harm in trying.
I am not aware where to report cyber crime complaints in Maharashtra.
Just go to a local thana, and lodge (IIRC) a FIR there.
You are on your own now. Authorities will do nothing.
Lost 3 phones, 1 - note 5 pro (we traced location & mobile number, man's photo but police did nothing) and 2 note 7 pro devices.
Yeah, but there incident that I was telling was from a year back, since I have bought a new phone (A3)
They have their nexus but they don't want to help you. They just fed up from their job.
Yeah, these incidents sure causes the average man to be more afraid whereas gives confidence to criminals and thiefs.
Even government introduced lost mobile blocking service, but it's useless I don't see anything happening from this.
CEIR
Oh, didn't knew about it, good to try as a last measure eh?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I somehow didn't get the tag notification @TigerKing & only saw this thread today. Just for future reference tell all your relatives/friends never to share any code with anyone over phone/chat/email before at least confirming with someone knowledgeable(in this case you for example). You can even use your info(number/email) as two factor authentication check for others' accounts.

Top Bottom