What the hell happened to Digit ??

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The magazine is literally the smallest of our properties now. It's there and it's the most read tech mag in India for the past 18 years, but we have diversified into far more.

The site is a much bigger monster and we have had a YouTube channel much before Indians were even watching anything on there. Everything is updated regularly, and we cover CES and other shows as well Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2018 | Latest Videos, News & Coverage | Digit.in

But hey, if you didn't know all that, then we are sucking at letting you know that we're doing all this, and that's a concern. We should definitely work on fixing that.

I have been expecting that the site would be something on the same level as say Anandtech, IGN, HardOCP or any such sites. I mean back in the days when I started reading digit, it was THE authority on hardware reviews. Perhaps you still are, but now wherever I go online, reviews from the most popular sites hit me first and the content already gets consumed.

As for the Youtube channel, it just is. I don't know what else to say. But then again I don't really watch review videos on youtube in general, so I don't really have much opinion on this.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I would like to see digit youtube channel what Beebom is currently. Such professional soothing animations and quality!

I think more laptop reviews & PC build guides might help the youtube channel. These aren't covered much by Indian youtubers & other phone youtubers are trying to slowly get into that (like iGyaan geekyranjit). I know a friend who has a youtube channel & he is doing some laptop reviews but mostly ones costing 70k or more. Video reviews of budget laptops might help, those in 35-50k range as you rarely find any review from good sources for those.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I think more laptop reviews & PC build guides might help the youtube channel. These aren't covered much by Indian youtubers & other phone youtubers are trying to slowly get into that (like iGyaan geekyranjit). I know a friend who has a youtube channel & he is doing some laptop reviews but mostly ones costing 70k or more. Video reviews of budget laptops might help, those in 35-50k range as you rarely find any review from good sources for those.

Valid point. Especially those laptop models which are available only in Indian market. There has been a lot of times when I couldn't find even a single professional review for a specific laptop model. (For ex. Asus E402NA). Most of the videos are noob unboxing with 144p camera on a bed lol.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
The magazine is literally the smallest of our properties now. It's there and it's the most read tech mag in India for the past 18 years, but we have diversified into far more.

The site is a much bigger monster and we have had a YouTube channel much before Indians were even watching anything on there. Everything is updated regularly, and we cover CES and other shows as well Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2018 | Latest Videos, News & Coverage | Digit.in

But hey, if you didn't know all that, then we are sucking at letting you know that we're doing all this, and that's a concern. We should definitely work on fixing that.

I just want to give constructive advice because i love Digit/Chip and i have been in this forum for so long its almost embarrassing (uncle-ji vibes). So here are some criticism of the stuffs you talked about.
1) You had a YouTube channel much before any Indians. Nice, Cool... BUT... Your first video -uploaded 9 years ago- is at 141 views right now. My first video on my Youtube channel (lol), also 9 years ago, has 1,898 views .
Why is a random upload of my dota game more popular? (ps. ignore the dislikes). Not demeaning you all, i am just making light of this contrast and the lack of effort and attention from DIGIT's part.

2) Can you collaborate with smaller tech youtube channels , and let them do all the hardwork, editing, creativity stuffs, while you supply them the products and if possible tickets to Tech shows where they can VLOG the entire event (apart from doing the usual showcasing). Just get one of those hyper-excited-mumbaiker Marquis Brownlee wannabe teenager youtuber and give them the resources. They may even do it for free. Give them some dreams using Linus Sabastian as an example, who started of at NCIX (translation: Digit) and has now formed his own company LinusMediaGroup (translation: IndianTechie69420 or whatever cringey youtube channel they have). Trust me, with the resources you have, they will be making much better content, because they have one thing your YouTube team doesn't have : Motivation and Drive.

3) We could learn something from GSMarena.com. Another top tier mobile phone review website. Remember when they started their youtube channel? That was 12 years ago. Hardly anybody watched it back then. Till the past 2 yeasr they had extremely low subscribers (despite their website being so popular)......And then BAM!! They hired two young people, a guy and a girl, who DONT even have to be Techies (because they read off scripts) and suddenly GSMarena youtube videos started showing up in search results, views started hitting millions in their videos and their sub count is more than 500k now.
PS. Check their comments, all thirsty nerds and nerdettes making totally irrelevant comments. But hey, if hot and sexy chics and dudes boosts the subs and views, further introducing the channel to people who actually want good content, then whats the harm?

4) Your most "popular" Product review is at 388,000 views (Honor 8). Please have a deep look at it. Isnt that the most uninspiring, most boring and forgettable product review you have ever seen? I bet all the views came because this phone was hot in the Indian tech scene back in June -August 2018, and not because people came expecting a quality review.

PS. Please dont mind my harsh words.

Top Bottom