What slows XP booting from the following?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
1.Loading too many startup programs

2.Using many softwares/utilities (over 100 of them)

3. Registery size (mine is at 62mb)

4. undefragged Hdd (I do once in 15 days)

I tried win XP manager & it does gud job of cleaning the registery & defraging it to reduce the size too.

What else can be done to get a fast boot?

Journeyman
1.Loading too many startup programs will definitely slow your PC at startup. Can you post a hijackthis log file, for further evaluation?

2.Using many softwares would not, unless they load something during startup. Many programs have update services which load at startup and they use some amount of system resources.

3.Since you have a lot of programs installed, I am assuming you might have uninstalled a few too. The registry might not be very clean. Do you use a registry cleaner / error fixer. Try TuneUp Utilities 2007, you can manage the startup programs, defrag your registry, fix errors on it and drink coffee from it too - he he!

4.Since you defrag your Hard drive every 15 days, I do not think it should pose any start up sluggishness.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Just few days back got a new comp so I don't want to load any program which I don't need, no need to post hijack log as this one is a new comp .

I am generally curious about new software & install the trial & uninstall it later, though I used winxp registry cleaner in past I wil give a try to TuneUp Utilities 2007, but winxp manager is AIO many utilities put together sound better to me.

trigger

Journeyman
use cn also decrease the booting time by using /NOGUIBOOT option in the system conf uttility.

cn be found @ run>msconfig>boot.ini tab>/NOGUIBOOT

btw. i guess 1st plays the key role in the booting time.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Ranjan, I would suggest TuneUp utilities over WinXP manager. Tune Up utilities too has loads of features including but not limited to
1. Registry cleaner
2. Registry Defragmenter
3. Startup manager
4. Uninstall manager
5. Registry editor
many more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom