What should I do to overcome the distance education barrier in my career?

rahulsingh2

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

I am Rahul, 26 years old. I have completed my BCA in 2011 and MCA in 2013 both through distance education. Due to some personal problems and financials issue i picked up a job and worked as System Administrator from year 2010 -2015. So once financial stability of the family was restored I started perusing my field of interest that is Information Security and in year 2016 I did earned CEH , CHFI and have done Diploma in Cyber Law from ILI, New Delhi.

I have applied in 5-6 companies like wipro, TCS and other from naukri and other job portal and have faced cleared the technical rounds and I was quite appreciated for my skill and passion. But the problem I face at last is that Distance Education. Few companies said they only hire employee who holds minimum 15 year of regular degree. I have even tried to convince them but to no avail.

What hurts the most is that after clearing the technical round and hearing them appreciating you and only rejected due to the distance degree has really put me in a very depressing state. I only did it from distance because its legal and as per GOI and UGC these hold equal value.

But what I seek here is yours opinion and advice about what I do in future so that I could get a good opportunity with reputed organization or is it the end of my career.

Shall I do BCA or MCA through regular degree? Please give advice that I could help me to overcome the current situation. I appreciate you for your valuable time already.

Thanks & Regards
Rahul

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Don't get discouraged by some companies policy that not to hire those which does not have 15 years regular study.

Better apply directly to the respective companies which are according to your needs.

Google is your friend.

Also ask your classmates about any opportunities.

PS: I used to have a friend who didn't complete Btech but somehow got settled in IT.

You need to keep on searching. Like I said, apply directly to each firm. Ok. In this way, chances are more.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hrishi

Well there's nothing much you can do about it. A lot of companies are hard-butted in their recruitment policies against DE candidates. I have been a victim of this discrepancy as well, that too being in Information Security sector.
But there are lots of other companies that do no focus on your degree mode, but rather your overall skill and work experience. Some companies also bend their policies if you can get someone from inside to sign an exception, like a HR or MD - I have seen such cases too.

Try IBM, Data Dimension, HCL, Tech Mahindra, etc. They hire DE candidates. While (Wipro, TCS, Accenture, DXC [Former HP/CSC], Capgemini don't .)

OP
R

rahulsingh2

Right off the assembly line
Hi bssunilreddy, Hrishi, Thank you guys for replying.

As I see the information technology in this current era, For any person to maintain quality and to survive they have to strive to do their best not only by putting things to work with what they know but they also have to keep on updating them self as the technologies evolve and change.

So I believe it is safe to say that the learning in todays era of technology is more on time based if the person don’t upgrade his/her skills with the current technology will they be of any use?

I just want to know about why the companies are looking for 15 year regular degree or only hiring people who have regular degree?

Does regular degree is the only way an organization ensure that this person is up to date ?

Or is there any other reasons they look for it?

Any insight details on the same could help me and many others like me and also those who are still in dilemma about doing studies through distance or regular mode.

Thanks & Regards,
Rahul

Hrishi

Hi bssunilreddy, Hrishi, Thank you guys for replying.

As I see the information technology in this current era, For any person to maintain quality and to survive they have to strive to do their best not only by putting things to work with what they know but they also have to keep on updating them self as the technologies evolve and change.

So I believe it is safe to say that the learning in todays era of technology is more on time based if the person don’t upgrade his/her skills with the current technology will they be of any use?

I just want to know about why the companies are looking for 15 year regular degree or only hiring people who have regular degree?

Does regular degree is the only way an organization ensure that this person is up to date ?

Or is there any other reasons they look for it?

Any insight details on the same could help me and many others like me and also those who are still in dilemma about doing studies through distance or regular mode.

Thanks & Regards,
Rahul
Yes, modern IT industry is driven by modern skill based in demand...for e.g. If you know something trending, or futuristic, you will be safe for a while.

Regarding the 15yr+ regular education, it helps the organization in reducing the Visa scrutinization for the employee. Also, clients have certain requirements that the individual should be a degree holder etx. Besides all these, its also convenient for a HR/Recruiter to find a skilled resource amongst Regular Degree holders than someone with DE Degree.... But that's mostly in initial phases. After acquiring certain level of work experience, it doesn't really matter a lot.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom