What is the Difference b/w these RAM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
the various latency of my 256 mb RAM(PC3200) are...

Frequency 166MHz 200Mhz
CAS#Latency 2.5 3
RAS#to CAS# 4 4
RAS#precharge 4 4
TRAS# 7 8

And for another RAM which I borrowed is

Frequency 200Mhz
CAS#Latency 3
RAS#to CAS# 3
RAS#precharge 3
TRAS# 8

Is the Second RAM somewhat Superior...???

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Those numbers represent the latency of the RAM chip. The lower it is the better.
So yes, the second chip is better because it has a lower latency and higher clock speed.

Kniwor

Learner
in theory, second one is better.....
but for all practical purposes.... including most benchmarks.... they will be the same

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
u ppl are right..
the performance with my RAM is not upto mark...Actually mine is 256MB RAM out of which 64mb is shared for onboard graphics and i just can't change tht setting(so effectively 192Mb RAM) ....Also it is normal for me to open multiple applications altogether(VS.net along with acrobat and msdn help along with winamp)...
Here comes the problem while switching from 1 application 2 another....it takes a little time....And this time lag while context switching was less for other RAM....I am discovering it on my PC...

got it,time to buy more RAM
Any suggestions while buying RAM ?

Kniwor

Learner
dabster said:
u ppl are right..
the performance with my RAM is not upto mark...Actually mine is 256MB RAM out of which 64mb is shared for onboard graphics and i just can't change tht setting(so effectively 192Mb RAM) ....Also it is normal for me to open multiple applications altogether(VS.net along with acrobat and msdn help along with winamp)...
Here comes the problem while switching from 1 application 2 another....it takes a little time....And this time lag while context switching was less for other RAM....I am discovering it on my PC...

got it,time to buy more RAM
Any suggestions while buying RAM ?

i cant believe that u can actually notice a difference in those 2 ram modules....
something else might be the reason.....

that little difference in timing canot make such huge difference that u notice it while switching apps.... not possible.....

about new ram.... just get the same as u got.... thatś the best piece of advice...
try to get exact same module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom