What is our Contribution for reducing Global Warming?

Do you agree with me?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
My Contribution in reducing Global Warming

Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans in recent decades and its projected continuation.​

Carbon Dioxide, Sulphur Dioxide, Soot, and other air pollutants are the reason for global warming. These gases are released into the atmosphere from automobiles, industries, etc. These gases are known as greenhouse gases as these cause Greenhouse Effect. During the day land heats up due to the sun's heat. In the night, the land radiates the heat received during the day. Carbon Dioxide does not allow the complete radiated heat to escape into the space and thereby traps the heat which in result increases the temperature of the earth. This is know as Greenhouse Effect. Periodic and Constant Greenhouse Effect leads to Global Warming.

The Natural causes for global warming are release of methane gas from arctic tundra and wetlands. Methane is a greenhouse gas. A greenhouse gas is a gas that traps heat in the earth's atmosphere. Another natural cause is that the earth goes through a cycle of climate change. This climate change usually lasts about 40,000 years.

The Man-made causes probably do the most damage. There are many man-made causes. Pollution is one of the biggest man-made problems. Pollution comes in many forms and amounts. Burning fossil fuels is one biggest cause as it releases carbon-dioxide which is a greenhouse gas.

Another major man-made cause of Global Warming is population. More people means more food, and more methods of transportation. That means more methane because there will be more burning of fossil fuels, more agriculture and livestock. Since CO2 contributes to global warming, the increase in population makes the problem worse because we breathe out CO2. Also, the trees that convert our CO2 to oxygen are being demolished because we're using the land that we cut the trees down from as property for our homes and buildings. We are not replacing the trees (an important part of our eco system), so we are constantly taking advantage of our natural resources and giving nothing back in return.

The effects of global warming are varied. They are as follows:

1. Effect on weather: It causes extremes of weather changes. It also causes floods, famines, hurricanes, Tsunami, Earthquakes, etc.
  2. Melting of Glaciers and rise in sea-levels.
  3. Rise in temperature.
  4. Acidification- of water bodies, soil, etc. which affects the growth of marine animals and plants.
  5. Disturbed Eco-System.
  6. Forest Fires
  7. Water Scarcity
  8. Has impacts on health.
There are many ways by which global warming can be prevented. It is the moral duty of each and every individual to follow certain basic preventive methods to control global warming and save our planet earth. Some of the preventive methods are as follows:

1. Avoid Industrial chemicals like chlorine, butane, pentane, etc. These industrial chemicals should be treated properly and make them harmless before dumping them into the river or soil etc.
  2. It is very important to keep up on the maintenance of your refrigerator and air conditioners as they can leak very toxic and harmful chemicals. Furnace maintenance will help to reduce the amount of heat you need, thus reducing fossil fuel production.
  3. Waste and Recycling: It is very beneficial to use recycled paper or to use products that are manufactured from ecologically managed forests.
    1. Home Maintenance: Weatherstripping, insulation and proper ventilation will go along way to reducing the amount of heat your home needs. Use of cold water instead of hot will reduce the amount of energy needed, as well only running dishwashers and washing machines when full.
    2. Composting will help you to dispose of biodegradable waste in your home and planting trees on your property will enhance the appearance of your home. As well as being visually appealing, trees help to control carbon dioxides in the air, and helps to dispose of toxins in the soil. Thus preventing them from being released into the atmosphere.
How can I help in preventing Global Warming?

Change a light: Replacing a regular light bulb with a compact fluorescent one saves 150 pounds of carbon dioxide each year.

Drive less: Walk, bike, carpool, take mass transit, and/or trip chain. All of these things can help reduce gas consumption and one pound of carbon dioxide for each mile you do not drive.

Recycle more and buy recycled: Save up to 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide each year just by recycling half of your household waste. By recycling and buying products with recycled content you also save energy, resources and landfill space!

Check your tires: Properly inflated tires mean good gas mileage. For each gallon of gas saved, 20 pounds of carbon dioxide are also never produced.

Use less hot water: It takes a lot of energy to heat water. Reducing the amount used means big savings in not only your energy bills, but also in carbon dioxide emissions. Using cold water for your wash saves 500 pounds of carbon dioxide a year, and using a low flow showerhead reduces 350 pounds of carbon dioxide. Make the most of your hot water by insulating your tank and keeping the temperature at or below 120.

Avoid products with a lot of packaging: Preventing waste from being created in the first place means that there is less energy wasted and fewer resources consumed. When you purchase products with the least amount of packaging, not only do you save money, but you also help the environment! Reducing your garbage by 10% reduces carbon dioxide emissions by 1,200 pounds.

Adjust your thermostat: Keeping your thermostat at 68 degrees in winter and 78 degrees in summer not only helps with your energy bills, but it can reduce carbon dioxide emissions as well. No matter where you set your dial, two degrees cooler in the winter or warmer in the summer can mean a reduction of 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide a year.

Plant a tree: A single tree can absorb one ton of carbon dioxide over its lifetime. So plant a tree every year on your birthday.

Turn off electronic devices when not in use: Simply turning off your TV, VCR, computer and other electronic devices can save each household thousand of pounds of carbon dioxide each year.

Create Public Awareness: Educate all people around you on this topic and save our planet earth!
********************************************************************************

What do you think about this? Global Warming is a serious issue. The Corporation is cutting all trees. Everyone know that cutting trees leads to Global Warming. So why does no one stop the corporation? Why don't we make Dangas? In some place like Dadar, Mumbai; H.P. ; people save trees (i have heard). When they can do, then why not we? In Pune, there were lots of trees and now there a very few trees; that too in selective areas.

I suggest the mods shud make this topic a sticky.

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
dunno abt pune but GW is definitely change the human species forever but i don't quite think that we'll become extinct

for the same reason i always ride on a cycle than my bike but i do some damage by using my pentium 4(power hungry) processor for too long

praka123

left this forum longback
yesterday CNN news says,
GLobal warming are caused by no.1 vehicels and no.2 is cattles :shock: wy?coz they produce methane while digesting eh!
edit!:i got a link ;)
A burping cow is a polluting cow.

Belching and flatulence in cows and sheep annually produce 90 percent of Australia's methane emissions in the agricultural sector, a recent study shows.
*archives.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/07/21/cow.methane.enn/index.html

hey kid!cow farts are fatal ;)

Pathik

Google Bot
but how can we stop that? Or shd we make them fart in a methanogenic reactor wich converts methane into methanous compounds?? :D

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
@nepcker, you may have read this thing, but this is an essay i wrote for an essay competition in my school organised by prajfoundation. I have collected infos from Wiki, and many other sites. Can u tell me when u read it?

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
*www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6620171&nav=menu99_8_14
climatecrisis.org

The solutions are copy-n-pasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom