Warning Over Chinese Mobile Giant Xiaomi Recording Millions Of People’s ‘Private’ Web And Phone Use

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
By ‘bad’ I’m guessing more than an hour less battery life? And by ‘Intensive’ I’m guessing playing games right?
More close to 2 hours difference and not just playing games, recording, editing videos, and multi tasking is CPU intensive.
*www.anandtech.com/show/15647/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-snapdragon-exynos-battery-life-preview

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Never trust any chinese company, check their response btw

*www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-web-browser-pro-mint-collecting-browsing-data-incognito-mode/

By ‘bad’ I’m guessing more than an hour less battery life? And by ‘Intensive’ I’m guessing playing games right?
The difference in performance was pretty low few years back, I think S810 era had better Exynos SoC as S810 was overheating & throttling a lot. Sadly throttling is a major issue this year. For few benchmark runs, S20 exynos holds up close to S865 but with time, performance falls below S855 level according to some tests.

Say out of 6 hrs SOT, if a phone lasts 1 hr less, that's a significant downgrade. Stand by times will be affected almost similarly.

This year, the situation is surely worse than it was earlier. That's why many videos & articles regarding poor Exynos SoC vs SD, esp by Europeans, who do spend on flagship phones. I think OP8 Pro can actually steal customers away from Samsung in the EU. Unless Exynos can bounce back next year, it will surely hurt Samsung a lot.

I do have a theory that Exynos SoC phones degrade faster in long run, in terms of performance than SD ones. Not much solid evidence. My father's Samsung C7 with S625 is still decently smooth whereas an uncle of mine has A7 (2017). I see more stuttering in A7 than C7 after close to 3 years. I know both phones had different usage history, but that's as close of a comparison I can get. Sadly don't know anyone with S8 exynos.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i was going to buy Poco X2 but after seeing this, Nokia 7.2 keeps fluctuating in front of my eyes & at times it is Oneplus 7t / 8.

maheshn

Journeyman
Never trust any chinese company, check their response btw

*www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-web-browser-pro-mint-collecting-browsing-data-incognito-mode/

Xiaomi smartphones are tracking usage habits and browsing data of their owners [Update]

From neowin.net

A more nuanced take on the matter. Pay attention to the portion marked "update" in the latter part of the article.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Xiaomi smartphones are tracking usage habits and browsing data of their owners [Update]

From neowin.net

A more nuanced take on the matter. Pay attention to the portion marked "update" in the latter part of the article.

—START—

We would like to express our appreciation for researchers’ engagement, passionate and constructive discussion.

Given our goal of providing world class secure services and products to all users, our next Mint Browser and Mi Browser software update will include an option in incognito mode for all users of both browsers to switch on/off the aggregated data collection, in an effort to further strengthen the control we grant users over sharing their own data with Xiaomi. The software updates will be submitted to Google Play for approval within today (May 3, GMT+8).

We believe this functionality, in combination with our approach of maintaining aggregated data in non-identifiable form, goes beyond any legal requirements and demonstrates our company’s commitment to user privacy.

As always, Xiaomi welcomes users to participate in our product development and advancement. Listening to feedback from users and letting them take part in Xiaomi’s future have been at the core of our company from the beginning.

—END—

so they are saying they will correct it :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
+Keep in mind that oneplus has some ultra next level bugs which they won't fix as soon as the next version releases
Heard something similar about Nokia phones where some say they have bugs regarding call audio/reception quality but at least OnePlus phones have better dev support at xda.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Prefer OnePlus over Nokia.

i am but the price difference is too much which makes choice difficult.

+Keep in mind that oneplus has some ultra next level bugs which they won't fix as soon as the next version releases

i have noticed the same in Xiaomi as well.

Heard something similar about Nokia phones where some say they have bugs regarding call audio/reception quality but at least OnePlus phones have better dev support at xda.

strange I heard from few in a fb group that call reception quality is good compared to others. unfortunately most of the good youtubers don't review Nokia phones.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I will still suggest to at least see the stock android/Nokia UI & its features first because they will be missing a lot of things people take for granted in manufacturer roms. In fact I will even suggest to just get samsung M30s over Nokia just for those missing features.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
i am but the price difference is too much which makes choice difficult.

i have noticed the same in Xiaomi as well.

strange I heard from few in a fb group that call reception quality is good compared to others. unfortunately most of the good youtubers don't review Nokia phones.
Here are few of the bugs in bugplus
1. If you have exhausted your net limit for the day, then after it refreshes you will need to reboot to make it work.
2. Samsung Health won't work. Google Fit will show inaccurate data. (Tested by me)
3. Every update will have tons of bugs. Last ota had a bug in which even after you ended the call the call duration kept on running for a few seconds and eating your free call minutes. They fixed it after 3-4 months after receiving lots of backlash.
4. Not exactly a bug but they won't release their camera blob so to make Gcam work with all features you need to root or install a custom rom. So, much for user friendly.
Plus there are tons of other issues which I don't remember. Avoid this company. If you want stock os then look for other options.
Please check M30s or the M31 too as suggested above, the Oneui is dope.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Well I will still suggest to at least see the stock android/Nokia UI & its features first because they will be missing a lot of things people take for granted in manufacturer roms. In fact I will even suggest to just get samsung M30s over Nokia just for those missing features.

looks like you forgot dear. told you before that i am currently using Motorola G5S Plus as my main phone and Redmi 4A as backup. i don't miss any specific feature on it. this is why i never felt not going for any stock UI phone. in fact i felt it is better as it doesn't force me to use anything specific. i also considered samsung galaxy m31 as it comes with Android 10 and will provide security updates for some more time but main con of that is a plastic build. i will check some more samsung phones having better build.

initially i decided to get Poco X2.

BTW, today i saw a tweet from Mr. Manu Kumar jain saying that they have got nothing to hide so are open to any third party verification / security check.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Here are few of the bugs in bugplus
1. If you have exhausted your net limit for the day, then after it refreshes you will need to reboot to make it work.
2. Samsung Health won't work. Google Fit will show inaccurate data. (Tested by me)
3. Every update will have tons of bugs. Last ota had a bug in which even after you ended the call the call duration kept on running for a few seconds and eating your free call minutes. They fixed it after 3-4 months after receiving lots of backlash.
4. Not exactly a bug but they won't release their camera blob so to make Gcam work with all features you need to root or install a custom rom. So, much for user friendly.
Plus there are tons of other issues which I don't remember. Avoid this company. If you want stock os then look for other options.
Please check M30s or the M31 too as suggested above, the Oneui is dope.

the biggest minus point it has is almost double the price of my current budget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like you forgot dear. told you before that i am currently using Motorola G5S Plus as my main phone and Redmi 4A as backup. i don't miss any specific feature on it.
Yes I did. If you don't want those extra features then it is fine but I found their lack on stock android a big minus especially when 6gb/8gb ram phones are getting common nowadays.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Yes I did. If you don't want those extra features then it is fine but I found their lack on stock android a big minus especially when 6gb/8gb ram phones are getting common nowadays.

actually i got fed up with the bloatware and ad-infested miui so found stock better. still because of 6gb and people telling cleaner ui in poco, i decided to go for it. after mr. jain's tweet, i again felt like getting it but no e-commerce non-essential item delivery in red zone so it is either Nokia or Samsung (as offline shops will be open) if i need it before delivery starts. actually i was thinking of getting Poco X2 as main phone and a Nokia or samsung as backup. lets see what materialises. thanks dear.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Every company collects data.
You want to save cost and prevent data collection :
Buy Redmi and flash custom rom

You want to prevent data collection but have no knowhow of how to flash custom rom :
Buy iPhone. (Collection is there but not to Chinese companies)

You want to save cost, have no knowhow of how to flash custom rom, and save cost :
Get a feature phone.

You want the above requirements but want a smartphone instead ?
Make a phone.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every company collects data.
You want to save cost and prevent data collection :
Buy Redmi and flash custom rom

You want to prevent data collection but have no knowhow of how to flash custom rom :
Buy iPhone. (Collection is there but not to Chinese companies)

You want to save cost, have no knowhow of how to flash custom rom, and save cost :
Get a feature phone.

You want the above requirements but want a smartphone instead ?
Make a phone.
:lol:

On a more serious note, exactly what you said.

Top Bottom