VR Gaming build

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Currently I mostly do programming, planning to do Designing work in future and maybe also get into game development.
Coming to gaming, I am not a big fan of FPS games, I am more of a Strategy games. Fifa & AOE are my favourite.
Planning to buy VR headset (don't know which) in the future. So it should run smooth.
Have played on Occulus Rift, but I don't know what has changed since then and what's the best.

This build should be able to handle programming, designing, games like Fifa, AOE, Civ 6. VR headset.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 75k to 80k for PC build without Monitor. Monitor should be strictly under 25k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not right now

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: Either 1TB SSD or 500GB SSD with 2T HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: New. Undecided between 32'' or 27'' & 1440p or 4k.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None. All new.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Have been watching the price fluctuations. Have the cash handy to splurge, but want to wait until the prices seem worth it.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Done it myself before. Will assemble.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. SP road or Online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: What is the best price I can expect if I sell my old PC setup.

Biostar A880GZ | Amd phenom II X4 960T | Seagate 1 TB
G-skill 4GB | Corsair VS450 | Benq G2222 HDL

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
For VR gaming, my suggestion is to go for at least 3070. You should increase your budget if you want VR gaming. If not VR, then a 1650/1660 Super is good under your 80K budget.

GPU Prices are really bad right now. And no one knows when they will come to normal prices. If you still want to go ahead now then post below.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -71k (AMD APU RIG)

Processor -AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G -17.2k
Motherboard -Asrock B450 Phantom Gaming 4/ac Wifi -12.3k
RAM -G.Skill SniperX 16GB(8GBx2) 3600Mhz -8.1k (primeabgb.com)
SSD -Crucial P1 1TB NVME SSD -9.5k
Power Supply -Antec NEO ECO 550M 550w 80+Bronze -4.1k
Monitor -AOPEN 27HC5RP VG 22inch LED VA -14.3k (amazon.in)
Cabinet -Antec NX210NX -3.4k
KB & Mouse -ANT ESports KM540 Gaming Combo -2.1k (amazon.in)
GPU -Later when GPU prices gets stabled (GTX 1660 Super) @ 27k

Total -71K

All above prices are taken from vedantcomputers, Kolkata except otherwise specified above and GTX 1660 Super which prices are not taken into consideration taking into the present mining craze.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
A good GPU for VR alone will consume ~40k (3060Ti or 2070 Super). Then you'd need a VR headset and boom goes away the rest of the budget.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No, he is not asking for VR headset in this budget I think, just a good VR capable rig. I think still OP needs to increase budget to atleast 90k to have a proper VR capable rig.

CPU - Intel i5 10400/10400F - 15/12.5k (with iGPU/ without iGPU)

Mobo - MSI B460M Pro VDH WiFi - 9k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz - 5k

GPU - 30k

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000 500GB - 5k

HDD - WD/Seagate 2TB 7200RPM - 5.5k

PSU - Corsair CX650 or CV650 or other 550W 80+ bronze - 5.3k

Cabinet - Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh 4 fan or other mid tower ATX - 5.3k

Total - 80.1k / 77.6k

*Get 2666MHz RAM but sometimes higher freq RAM is cheaper. Say a 3000MHz RAM will underclock & run at 2666.

Monitor - LG 32GK650F 32" 1440p 144Hz VA or Acer VG271U IPS - 24/25k (Acer one lacks height-adjustable stand, XV272U has it for 27-28k)

Currently, the GPU market is pretty bad. Ideally, you might have got upcoming RTX 3060 for 30-35k, but we are in a bad scenario with an old 20k GPU like GTX 1660S costing 30k now mainly due to crypto miners. RTX 3060 would have been a good choice for you, not the most powerful but still performance similar to old 2070S/2080 for 30k would have been nice. IMO look into used GPU market, maybe buy old GTX 1060/RX 570 for 7-9k. Buy the i5 with iGPU so that you can at least use your PC while waiting for a good deal on used GPU. Maybe in 6 months situation will be better, get an RTX 3060 then.

At 2K resolution, the CPU dependency lowers compared to 1080p, so IMO the i5 should be fine as its just 10-15% slower than a R5 3600.

OP
A

aftablonely786

Broken In
Thank you for all the suggestions. Just to keep myself informed, if we have to consider budget of 1lac without monitor's cost, what could the rig be??

@SaiyanGoku not planning to buy VR headset right now, maybe a year down the line.

And also where do I look for used GPUs??

Swap CPU, mobo & RAM & just increase GPU budget. Again, GPU market is very bad now. Look for used PC parts in OLX, TechEnclave forum, FB groups (Akextacy) or FB marketplace.

CPU - AMD R5 3600 - 17k (no iGPU)

Mobo - MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi - 11k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 - 6k*

GPU - 45k (ideally RTX 3070FE for 44.5k)

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000 500GB - 5k

HDD - WD/Seagate 2TB 7200RPM - 5.5k

PSU - Antec HCG Gold 750W - 7.6k

Cabinet - Lian Li 215 - 6k

Total - 103.1k

*Sometimes 3600MHz CL18 costs 6.5k, grab that if you get it for that price.

Monitor - LG 32GK650F 32" 1440p 144Hz VA or Acer VG271U IPS - 24/25k (Acer one lacks height-adjustable stand, XV272U has it for 27-28k)

I'd recommend getting used GPU like RX 570/ GTX 1060 & use it for a few months. I think they meet minimum VR requirements as well but performance won't be great. Contact Nvidia & RPTech about 3060Ti & 3070 FE cards, grab whichever you get for official price, if you are lucky.

OP
A

aftablonely786

Broken In
Thank you @omega44-xt and @bssunilreddy for all the suggestions.

Monitor I have decided to go with LG 32GK650F. *www.amazon.in/LG-Ultragear-Gaming-Monitor-Freesync/dp/B07FLGR2PN

Couple of PC building questions I have:
1) What is the difference between Gold, Bronze 80+ ratings on PSU?
2) Modular PSU? Any benefits??
3) How do I define the worth of a PC Case?? Included fans? Cable management? Good airflow?
4) If I want to delay buying any GPU and go with one that has iGPU, can I go with Ryzen 5 4650g?? Will the iGPU be enough to play FIFA at 60+ FPS @ 1080p??
5) Any worth waiting for Vermeer PRO version. This article says it should be due for second quarter 2021 launch.
*wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000g-pro-cezanne-zen-3-desktop-apu-spotted-8-cores-4-75-ghz-clocks/

Also I remember seeing tables comparing RAM at different MHz & CL ratings.
And similarly a comparison of different 550 mobos.
Can someone post them if they are handy??

Thank you @omega44-xt and @bssunilreddy for all the suggestions.

Monitor I have decided to go with LG 32GK650F. Amazon.in: Buy LG Ultragear 81.28 cm (32-inch) QHD (2K) Gaming Monitor with 144Hz, 1ms, Radeon Freesync, Display Port, HDMI x 2-32GK650 Online at Low Prices in India | LG Reviews & Ratings

Couple of PC building questions I have:
1) What is the difference between Gold, Bronze 80+ ratings on PSU?
2) Modular PSU? Any benefits??
3) How do I define the worth of a PC Case?? Included fans? Cable management? Good airflow?
4) If I want to delay buying any GPU and go with one that has iGPU, can I go with Ryzen 5 4650g?? Will the iGPU be enough to play FIFA at 60+ FPS @ 1080p??
5) Any worth waiting for Vermeer PRO version. This article says it should be due for second quarter 2021 launch.
*wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000g-pro-cezanne-zen-3-desktop-apu-spotted-8-cores-4-75-ghz-clocks/

Also I remember seeing tables comparing RAM at different MHz & CL ratings.
And similarly a comparison of different 550 mobos.
Can someone post them if they are handy??
32GK650F is a good VA monitor.

1. Platinum > Gold > Bronze > White, in terms of quality & efficiency. That also applies for warranty as well. A cheap 650W PSU might not be able to provide the necessary power after efficiency losses for high power components, which is not good. Also if a cheap quality PSU fails, it might take other components with it, hence 80+ bronze is the minimum IMO.

2. Cables can be used or not used based on need, better cable management. Say non modular will have a lot of SATA power cables & other cables lying connected which you are not using right now.

3. For high performance systems, I will say airflow. Meshed front cases are the go to solution for it. Then look for pre-installed fans. Say 4x 120mm is good, so is 2x200mm + 1x120mm. Surely look for other stuff as well, like cable management, HDD & SSD bays, front I/O, etc.

4. I don't think iGPUs are that powerful. That's why I suggested a cheap 7-8k GPU which can actually run many games at 1080p high 60fps, even big demanding titles.

5. No, too long of a wait. There's global silicon shortage going on as well. Right now CPUs aren't too much affected.

Check Hardware Unboxed's VRM testing & reddit for other lists, search in google.

OP
A

aftablonely786

Broken In
Triggering the purchase this Amazon Great Indian Festival sale.
I have been monitoring the prices for a long time, and now I feel it is at decent price, also coupled with HDFC bank offer for about 7k overall savings.

Here's the list of the products that I am going for with prices.
1633157097996.png

I feel all of the components here are solid, but I need some inputs regarding PSU.
This was the only good PSU I could find which was in PSU tier list and was not overpriced.

Also what RAM should I go for?? Both are prices for 2x8GB.

Also anything here overpriced that I should look to buy local at SP road, Bangalore??

Why are you buying 2 different latency RAM sticks?

MSI B550 Pro VDH WiFi has been on sale for 10.2k or so many times. Not sure of R7 5700G pricing, but seems ok for its package. The i7 11700 will outperform it with a good cooler.

Which GPU do you plan to get in future?

OP
A

aftablonely786

Broken In
I’m not buying both and I wanted to choose between the Ram kits! I went for 3200.

I went ahead bought the whole rig from Amazon since prices were more or less comparable to other online stores and I got 10k instant bank discount from HDFC on the whole rig. PSU I went for NZXT C750 after looking into PSU tier list on LTT forum.

I’m waiting for RTX 3060Ti or RTX 3070.

OP
A

aftablonely786

Broken In
Should I be worried about low power draw from C750?? Right now the overall TDP of the rig is coming to be 150W. Will there be a problem if let’s say average power draw is 100W out of 750W rated PSU??

Top Bottom