VPS discussion

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How do i make a website to start with to use vps with?Any tutorial?thinking of a gaming blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wordpress should be good enough. You can read up tutorials on how to set it up on a LAMP or LEMP stack. But if you only want to create a Wordpress blog, then better to use shared hosting like @meetdilip suggested. However, if you want to run some other servers on the same machine, such as a voice server, then a VPS is better.

You'd also need to buy a domain name.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
If it is a personal blog, ie, stories by you, you can always use blogger or wordpress.com. They have their limitations but are free and can be set up in a few minutes.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Wordpress should be good enough. You can read up tutorials on how to set it up on a LAMP or LEMP stack. But if you only want to create a Wordpress blog, then better to use shared hosting like @meetdilip suggested. However, if you want to run some other servers on the same machine, such as a voice server, then a VPS is better.

You'd also need to buy a domain name.
what is LAMP and LEMP stack?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
If you haven't used VPS before, I would advise not to do it on a production website. A lot of things could go wrong.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
wtf What u described, i thought that was AWS EC2.. wtf is lightsail ?
Amazon Lightsail
It's a VPS service from AWS, simpler than EC2 but not as flexible or configurable. Starts at $3.5 per month.
If you haven't used VPS before, I would advise not to do it on a production website. A lot of things could go wrong.
Nah, it's okay. You can use it to test and if things so sideways, you can always destroy the instance and create a new one. Won't affect billing since billing is usually done by hourly usage.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
A badly set up VPS could get hacked in no time. Also, if we have to reset the OS, there will be some down time.

Are you using any panel on your VPS ?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
A badly set up VPS could get hacked in no time. Also, if we have to reset the OS, there will be some down time.

Are you using any panel on your VPS ?
To avoid hackers I changed my SSH port to something else from the default 22. I also set up ufw to block any request to ports other than the ones I have allowed.

What panel do you mean?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Edit: For more security you can also set up SSH to use a key file though I have not done so myself.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think he means something like this What is cPanel? How to use cPanel for WordPress hosting
Seems like something that hosting providers provide. I don't think VPS providers provide this since the VPS are fully managed by the user. I myself use plain old SSH and terminal to manage my VPS.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I am not that good. But guides from Linode and DO are good enough for most activities. There is some CyberPanel which everyone is talking about these days. Many say that it is good ( and free ). VestaCP had some serious bug, not sure whether developers have upped their game.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is time4vps is trustable ? the prices are very cheap . Just Rs.800 for 8 GB RAM

What about quality of service and customer support?
You want a vps with extra 8gb ram for what? I mean usually such large amount of ram is only required for specific workloads on a virtual server.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Small names vanish one day. That is the only problem with them. You are doomed if your backup schedule is not proper.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Small names vanish one day. That is the only problem with them. You are doomed if your backup schedule is not proper.
Not just small names,unless you take a plan with redundant storage option(obviously costs extra),a hardware/hdd failure can still cost you your data even with a big name provider.

Top Bottom