VPS discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you are new: VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. It is basically a server provided by a VPS provider for a user to use as they see fit.

Some known VPS providers are Digital Ocean, Linode, Scaleway and AWS Lightsail.

This thread is dedicated to discussing VPSs and comparing their features and prices.

I personally have a Digital Ocean VPS at the lowest tier ($5) and I have 1 GHz CPU and 1 GB memory. Enough to run one web server and a MariaDB database.

My homepage and blog (in my signature) are hosted there.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
As per my reddit experience,kimsufi seems to offer the best deals for a dedicated unmanaged server at cheap rates.You do need to configure it but someone with basic linux knowledge should be able to it without much difficulty by following various online tutorials. @Desmond David check it out if you haven't yet.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
As per my reddit experience,kimsufi seems to offer the best deals for a dedicated unmanaged server at cheap rates.You do need to configure it but someone with basic linux knowledge should be able to it without much difficulty by following various online tutorials. @Desmond David check it out if you haven't yet.
$4.99 for 1.8 GHz and 2 GB RAM server. GG, this is probably the best config yet. But doesn't look like they have servers in India.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah,they don't have servers in India but is there any specific reason you want an Indian server. Btw keep checking kimsufi for black friday deals,may be you can get a server with good enough hardware to run it as seedbox/file server/vpn--all in one.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah,they don't have servers in India but is there any specific reason you want an Indian server. Btw keep checking kimsufi for black friday deals,may be you can get a server with good enough hardware to run it as seedbox/file server/vpn--all in one.
Is it legal to use a VPS as a seedbox? Also, I like to have a server in India because sometimes I run a voice server (Teamspeak or Mumble) and I like to keep the latency as low as possible.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Time4vps is one of the cheapest storage vps I've ever seen. According to the reviews it is also seedbox friendly

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it legal to use a VPS as a seedbox? Also, I like to have a server in India because sometimes I run a voice server (Teamspeak or Mumble) and I like to keep the latency as low as possible.
Depends on ToS of the provider but kimsufi dedicated servers usually comes with very relaxed ToS.They are the preferred choice for running dedicated seedboxes in reddit.

P.S. Isn't dedicated server different from VPS,I mean it is called dedicated because the hardware is for use of a single person/account holder & he can run whatever he wants on it incl vps or seedbox. ToS is common for any such service so it doesn't matter whether you run vps or seedbox as long as it does not violate their ToS.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
per month or year?
Per month of course.
Depends on ToS of the provider but kimsufi dedicated servers usually comes with very relaxed ToS.They are the preferred choice for running dedicated seedboxes in reddit.

P.S. Isn't dedicated server different from VPS,I mean it is called dedicated because the hardware is for use of a single person/account holder & he can run whatever he wants on it incl vps or seedbox. ToS is common for any such service so it doesn't matter whether you run vps or seedbox as long as it does not violate their ToS.
I once had my Digital Ocean droplet shut down because of "suspicious traffic". But they let me run after a while. I was using it to run a CS1.6 server at the time. I don't think they'd allow using it as a seedbox.
A dedicated server is different from a VPS in that a dedicated server is a server hardware that needs to be provisioned. A VPS is basically a VM slice with some CPU, memory and storage allocated for it's dedicated use. It behaves the same as a dedicated server, but it's resources are shared between other VMs too.
Digital Ocean has data center in Bangalore.
Yes, that's where my VPS is hosted.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I once had my Digital Ocean droplet shut down because of "suspicious traffic". But they let me run after a while. I was using it to run a CS1.6 server at the time. I don't think they'd allow using it as a seedbox.
A dedicated server is different from a VPS in that a dedicated server is a server hardware that needs to be provisioned. A VPS is basically a VM slice with some CPU, memory and storage allocated for it's dedicated use. It behaves the same as a dedicated server, but it's resources are shared between other VMs too.
I have never seen a recommendation to use digital ocean as a seedbox in reddit & probably for this reason only. Yes,I know but what I meant to say was that ToS is there even for vps so if you do something like hosting pirated software/kms activation server which is in violation of their ToS then too it will result in same situation. As long as ToS allows it,it doesn't matter whether it is vps or dedicated server.

Why not test kimsufi if you get some good black friday deal? You can always use it as seedbox/file server & may be the latency won't be so bad.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I am tempted to try it. Where can you get deals for this?
see above,I am familiar with /r/seedboxes and many there are always on the lookout for good deals on dedicated servers to use as seedbox.If I find some good deal then I will also post it here(I am also looking for a good seedbox deal this black friday).

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
How do i make a website to start with to use vps with?Any tutorial?thinking of a gaming blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meetdilip

Computer Addict
You can use shared hosting for a new blog. It will be much cheaper. You wouldn't need the resources of a VPS to run a beginner blog.

But if you want to learn how to set up and use VPS, there are many tutorials on Digital Ocean website.

Top Bottom