Vista sets the stage, but who will carry the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh_mettur

Journeyman
Today, according to Microsoft's Windows Vista slogan, is "a new day." But I'll bet Bill Gates and his team would give anything to go back to the good ol' days.

By that I mean the launch of Windows 95, when the Rolling Stones' Start Me Up became the official theme of what remains the most important software launch in computer industry history. The world had seen operating systems before, but Windows 95 coincided with the point at which the Internet drove adoption of home computing to unprecedented levels. For consumers, the operating system (and in fact the computer itself) evolved from a novelty item like a video game console to a household staple like their washer and dryer. For companies, having Windows-based PCs connected to the Internet became part of the cost of doing business. Microsoft -- and the rest of the industry -- has been growing incrementally ever since.

Windows Vista, like predecessors Windows XP and Windows 2000, is approaching the kind of hurdle that the sequel to a Hollywood blockbuster might face: People may have enjoyed the original, but they wonder whether a follow-up was really necessary. Of course, you can't hang on to an old operating system (OS) forever, but even with all its bugs Microsoft generally does a good enough job with its products that customers can afford to delay an upgrade for years. And while a Hollywood sequel might promise more action and improved special effects -- essentially what Microsoft is promising with better security, improved reliability -- customers still might not bite unless they have recently experienced computer cashes, viruses or are tired of the same old desktop.

for more info refer the source.

source :/www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061130.INSIDER30/TPStory/Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom