Vista eating up all RAM and CPU !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
After booting up Vista, the CPU usage is around 70 - 80 % even when I am not running any program. Major chunk goes into svhost.exe and lsass.exe
Is there something wrong in the system or this is the way Vista behaves :D

Screenshot

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Vista fills up the complete RAM which is a feature and not any bad effect. Unused RAM is of no use to you, the more amount of RAM being used at any point of time, the better and faster is the system response. This is the ideology behind Vista's Superfetch feature.

I am not able to open the screenshot so cannot comment on the CPU usage.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Following tutorial might help you in speeding up your Vista as well as decreasing the system resources amount:

MASTER TUTORIAL: Make Your Windows VISTA Super Fast

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
That looks like a single core proc. and the cpu usage is really high. I dunno if its the windows update service or what. But to be sure just run hijackthis/av scan etc.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Oh ya, i saw the Windows Update icon in your taskbar.
Do one thing, complete all the Windows Update and then restart your computer.
Wait for 15 minutes after windows loads up. And then check the CPU usage, if it is constantly so high, then we migh have some trouble at hand.

On my system, when i was using Vista RTM, TrustedInstaller service use to eat CPU in this way after a windows update was installed. But it used to be okay after restarting. Try finishing all updates or atleast mark them as hidden and then see if it helps. Also check whether TrustedInstaller service is taking any cpu.

if the problem is with TrustedInstaller service, then i recommend you to fully patch your system, and use SP1 when available. These problems were gone long ago for me, even when my system was fully patched Vista RTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom