virtue monde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Spyware Doctor is supposed to be able to remove this.... Also try Avast! Home edition. It's got good trojan detection.

OP
M

manishjha18

In the zone
cant boot in safe mode- morever i have tried the vundofix--it still lefts traces

hey beta testing--can i enable task manager anyway

Last edited:

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Open the registry editor (Start> Run> regedit and press enter). Locate the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System

Here, you'll find the value DisableTaskMgr and it's value will be set to 1. Delete this value.

This will enable your task manager. Since you've already tried all the methods to remove the trojan, I think the only option left is to do a clean format> reinstall.

Last edited:

afonofa

Journeyman
VirtuMonde is a real pest. If you can still install stuff, to deal with it you can trial CounterSpy, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' AntiMalware. They may be able to give you enough control over the comp to get rid of the pest. Did you try scanning with HijackThis?

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
^^What's the use? He can post the HT log here and we can tell him about the processes to end, but it'll start up again. Since he can't install any application, it's even worse.

afonofa

Journeyman
Whenever there is an alien(virtumonde) infestation:

1. let the local police(KIS) try and handle it
2. when they can't, send in the commandos(HJT) for seek and destroy operations
3. assist the commandos with air strikes(counterspy etc.)
4. if all else fails, then nuke(format) the town(windows) and wipe out the aliens alongwith whatever human residents(data) who were unfortunate enough to have survived the initial infestation and could not be extracted(failed/impossible recovery)

It's been a while since you saw an alien invasion movie hasn't it? :p

If he is able to end the processes and delete the files, then it may become possible to install antispyware software which could further remove the pest and slowly but surely get back control. Its worth a try before nuking windows.

OP
M

manishjha18

In the zone
attached my hdd to my friends comp and used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and super antispyware.
worked--but still wondering kis and spyware doctor--both failed..
thanks a lot you guys---

afonofa

Journeyman
Its not necessary that every antispyware would be to able to remove every variant of virtumonde. Maybe the type that was on your comp was not removable by spyware doctor. But its very likely that KIS's proactive defense alerted you when virtumonde was executing and making changes to the system and you unknowingly allowed it. It's not just KIS, lots of AV's have been having problems detecting and removing newer virtumonde variants and counterspy, superantispyware etc. have been successful in those cases(why? no idea). Once it gets installed its very tough to get rid of. So you should try to remember where/how it could have got into your comp.
Eg. If it was a specific website then you can avoid that site in the future.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
virtue monde is a real pest, it infected my pc a few months back and was only removed when I used eset with latest updates. a month old update was not able to remove it.

ajaybc

Youngling
I had to format my PC.
Spybot S&D detected it but dint remove.Tried many tools and dint work at last format was my last resort

Was digging through the forum for something and saw this. I'd this headache for quite a while and tried lot of things. To cut a long story short, finally a boot-time scan scheduled in Avast got rid of the virus. That's how I fixed it. If you want to read the long story of it
*shreeleshkumar.blogspot.com/2008/04/when-virus-attacks-virtumonde.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom