Vanced has been discontinued

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Good thing doesn't last long.
Their twitter feed

Vanced has been discontinued. In the coming days, the download links on the website will be taken down. We know this is not something you wanted to hear but it's something we need to do. Thank you all for supporting us over the years.
Currently installed versions will work just fine, until they become outdated in 2 years or so.

Thanks to @RumbaMon19 to point this out.

For people who do not know about this, do not worry, you have lost nothing. Just FYI, it was the perfect ad-blocker of Youtube on android platform for non-premium accounts.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, technically they are using Youtube's API to bypass Youtube premium features, which is not exactly legal. What I mean is that Youtube has the legal justification to do this.

In the meanwhile you can use Newpipe as an alternative. It's not as full featured but does the same task. NewPipe - a free YouTube client

It's also on F-droid - NewPipe | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

That is until Youtube shuts this down as well, however, I think it's unlikely since this does not use Youtube APIs.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Well, technically they are using Youtube's API to bypass Youtube premium features, which is not exactly legal. What I mean is that Youtube has the legal justification to do this.

In the meanwhile you can use Newpipe as an alternative. It's not as full featured but does the same task. NewPipe - a free YouTube client

It's also on F-droid - NewPipe | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

That is until Youtube shuts this down as well, however, I think it's unlikely since this does not use Youtube APIs.
Apps published on F-Droid are safe(from stealing data)?? Any parameter I should check which tells about safety?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I regularly download apps from F-Droid. It only has open source apps, so the source code is visible to all. So, if any app tries to steal your data, someone will flag it as such. In any case, it's better to check the app's github page before downloading and as a general rule of thumb avoid apps that haven't been updated in a long time.

In general, apply common sense when downloading apps from any source, even the Play Store. Prefer apps that don't require network access or which only operate locally.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Just now I was reading the description of New Pipe that they dont have option to login into Youtube. I am guessing Vanced was using Youtube APIs for logging in.
Not able to login in is a bit of miss for sure. Not everyone watches regional contents which Youtube algorithms defaults to.

Any one here using any of the alternatives and can personally recommend something? I have already added New Pipe suggested above by Desmond.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes, Newpipe is a completely offline app. But you can import your subscriptions from Youtube without login. Also, you have to manually refresh the subscriptions list to get the latest videos. You cannot comment either but you can read comments. If you only want to watch videos then I think it's more than enough.

If you want to comment, use uBlock origin on your browser.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Youtube disabled CC subs and resolution settings in mobile browser, only way to watch properly without ads in mobile is through newpipe only

Top Bottom