Using an old PSU with a new build?

Renny

Padawan
It's been years since I logged into Digit and I've been a member since 2007. It's good to be back!

So I have the following parts:
Ryzen 5 3500
Gigabyte B550 Aurous PRO
16GB DDR4 RAM
Zotack AMP 1660
Deepcool Matreaxx 55 RGB
2 x 4TB SATA HDD
480GB SSD SATA
RGB keyboard and mouse wired

I have a FSP Saga II 500w PSU which is around 6 years old afaik. Should I buy a new PSU or can I use this old one? No plans to overclock.

Should I also get a custom cooler?

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you've had no problems thus far, I think the PSU should work fine. What's the 80+ rating of the PSU?

Edit: Also, welcome back. I've been here since 2005.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Good to see some old timers. Back then we were the young-uns :-D

Description:
ATX 12V V2.3 ready
High efficiency higher than 80%
Supports PCI-Express connector
120mm variable speed fan with ultra low noise
Eco-FRIEndly PSU with active PFC
Thermal coated protection of white casing
230V input with complete protection (OVP; OCP; SCP)

I somehow don't feel that comfortable using a 6 year old psu though. Which one should I which would be future-proof for a Ryzen 4000 cpu and rtx 2070 like gpu?

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
High efficiency higher than 80%
But does it have the 80+ certified logo anywhere on it?

Something that looks like one of these:

*www.tomshw.it/files/2014/10/immagini_contenuti/59688/80-plus-230v-w-600_t.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
FSP Saga II series was good for its times but not anymore(I used to have the same psu but different wattage). Get Corsair CX550 as it is the minimum recommended series nowadays(& quite good too) for decent gaming systems.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
^ Not shippable to my pincode.
Ordered this instead:
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07KYR9F24

It's good right?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Not shippable to my pincode.
Ordered this instead:
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07KYR9F24

It's good right?
Cancel the order, it is a tier D psu recommended only for basic systems with no graphics card.
*linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Cancelled it. Can you suggest a good one for 6K? Corsair is not shipped to my pincode.

My local shop has Corsair CV650 only, is that good? Edit: Looks like it is Tier C :/

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cancelled it. Can you suggest a good one for 6K? Corsair is not shipped to my pincode.

My local shop has Corsair CV650 only, is that good? Edit: Looks like it is Tier C :/
Check in that psu tier list, corsair CV 650W is tier C. Try these sites:
*mdcomputers.in/corsair-cx550-550-watt-80-plus-bronze-cp-9020121-uk.html
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...-plus-bronze-certification-psu-cp-9020121-uk/

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...-plus-bronze-certification-psu-cp-9020121-uk/

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Good to know. It has flat pin plug so you will need to use an adapter to convert it to round pin or you can use your old fsp psu cable if it is in good physical condition.
Edit: Got it. Can you help me with how the attached pic would work?

Attachments

• 2020-08-14.jpg
    2020-08-14.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 103

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is that? You need to connect the pins accordingly as per diagram. Mobo headers have similar connectors where the header pins are labelled as RESET + & - etc & you connect them to header pins on mobo marked with same description like RESET + & - .

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
CPU temps are way off. Prime95 load temps went upto 91.1C and idling temps are 50-65C. Ambient temperature at my place is 25C and I've re-applied paste and seated the fan. 120mm fan missing at the rear of the cabinet but would that make such a drastic difference?

Need recommendations for a good CPU cooler (Moderate OC) with RGB.

Lower the budget the better.

Top Bottom