USB 2 Parallel : wipro printer problems

puncham

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I'm attempting to connect a Parallel-port printer (wipro ex 200+) to my usb pc using a usb-2-parallel convertor cable.

I'm running XP SP2

when the cable is connected, XP finds new hardware (usb device) & under Device Manager, i can see USB Printing support under USB Devices so all looks ok.

I have installed the wipro ex 200+ locally, assigning USB001 port to it (the virtual usb printer port now available.) - again it all looks like it should

on connection/disconnection of the usb cable, the printer does make some signs of connection (head moves/adjusts etc - as it does when normally connected - so it appears the pc "sees" the printer at some level.)

When i attempt to print however, i just get a very stop-start/slow print of garbage - rows of odd characters etc - just rubbish.

this suggests to me it's the print driver. I tried testing by printing something under the command prompt but have read that wipro's dont work this way

there is nothing in the docs for the cable or at wipro on this - is there anything i'm missing or maybe a sure way of validating the cable is working? - i know the printer works normally as i have it working usb-2-usb.

it was suggested the driver may not work fully with microsofts usbprint.sys modules - but then usb-2-usb does work fine

any advice really welcome

Top Bottom