UPS with 16A socket?

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
I was thinking to get a UPS for my PC as power cuts are getting frequent these days in my area but I noticed that my PSU wire has a 16A plug whereas all the UPS in the market only have 6A sockets in them. This doesn't make sense at all :|

If I change my PSU wire to a 6A pin will it work?

Any help is appreciated.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I was thinking to get a UPS for my PC as power cuts are getting frequent these days in my area but I noticed that my PSU wire has a 16A plug whereas all the UPS in the market only have 6A sockets in them. This doesn't make sense at all :|

If I change my PSU wire to a 6A pin will it work?

Any help is appreciated.

yes it will work. But if the PSU load exceeds 6A then circuit breaker will trip. What is the power of your PSU?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
That's a relief, I'll change the wire then. Pretty stupid to give a 16A pin for a 550w PSU I guess

This was mostly done as in some houses, the wiring used is not upto the mark and may not sustain 6A. This used to be scenario about 20yrs ago. So the manufacturers would go with a safer side and in order to prevent any damage they would use 16A plug. Now everything has improved and this is very uncommon now.

Another reason can also be that as manufacturers also manufacture 1000watt and server grade 1500-2000watt psu, they provide a common cable to save on manufacturing costs.

Also, as you are using it with ups, you may check the maximum rating of UPS. It is around 4.5 amps before the fuse blows on majority of them. 2.3amp is fine for it though.

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
This was mostly done as in some houses, the wiring used is not upto the mark and may not sustain 6A. This used to be scenario about 20yrs ago. So the manufacturers would go with a safer side and in order to prevent any damage they would use 16A plug. Now everything has improved and this is very uncommon now.

Another reason can also be that as manufacturers also manufacture 1000watt and server grade 1500-2000watt psu, they provide a common cable to save on manufacturing costs.

Also, as you are using it with ups, you may check the maximum rating of UPS. It is around 4.5 amps before the fuse blows on majority of them. 2.3amp is fine for it though.
That makes a lot of sense.

I had one more doubt, I need power backup for only 5 mins as the generator in my building comes online after that. Will a 600V UPS suffice or I need to get a 1kV one?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
That makes a lot of sense.

I had one more doubt, I need power backup for only 5 mins as the generator in my building comes online after that. Will a 600V UPS suffice or I need to get a 1kV one?

that depends on your Components aswell as power factor of your psu, As there is a less chance you wud be running PSU at its full load i.e. 550 watt. But even if you run it on full power, you need to buy something in the range of 850-1000VA. 600VA wud be able to run it for 2-3minutes only.

a simple relation can be

UPS(VA) = PSU(Watt) x 1.6

this is just a rough one, and gives a good idea. If you are not a heavy gamer and load will be 350-400watt, a 600VA is enough.

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
that depends on your Components aswell as power factor of your psu, As there is a less chance you wud be running PSU at its full load i.e. 550 watt. But even if you run it on full power, you need to buy something in the range of 850-1000VA. 600VA wud be able to run it for 2-3minutes only.

a simple relation can be

UPS(VA) = PSU(Watt) x 1.6

this is just a rough one, and gives a good idea. If you are not a heavy gamer and load will be 350-400watt, a 600VA is enough.
Thanks for so much info, I'll go with a 1kV just to be sure.

Top Bottom