UPS for Router?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I have recently upgraded to Excitel's fiber connection
With that I got a totally new Router with Fiber compatibility. Model is Excitel branded something, "GX" written on it.

Now whenever I face power cuts of fluctuations, I observe that once power is back, it takes upwards of 5 min to reestablish Internet. That is after router is switched on, it takes upwards of 5 min for Internet to resume back.

I was observing if this is normal behavior for all fiber optic routers? Or something related to my own router.

Also if a UPS would help. And if yes, which UPS would be better to power a UPS as well as DS 220+ NAS.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I have ACT fibernet connection and it takes about 1 min for internet to resume once power is back. Router is TP Link AC1200

Nerevarine

Incarnate
So I have recently upgraded to Excitel's fiber connection
With that I got a totally new Router with Fiber compatibility. Model is Excitel branded something, "GX" written on it.

Now whenever I face power cuts of fluctuations, I observe that once power is back, it takes upwards of 5 min to reestablish Internet. That is after router is switched on, it takes upwards of 5 min for Internet to resume back.

I was observing if this is normal behavior for all fiber optic routers? Or something related to my own router.

Also if a UPS would help. And if yes, which UPS would be better to power a UPS as well as DS 220+ NAS.
Fiber connection typically should be faster than coaxial, for booting up and getting connected. Unsure why for you, its 5 mins

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Same problem with me, I Have airtel Xstream, they gave me a router and modem combined device and it takes 5 mins to switch on. I wired it directly to inverter to prevent that.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Same problem with me, I Have airtel Xstream, they gave me a router and modem combined device and it takes 5 mins to switch on. I wired it directly to inverter to prevent that.
Well, this affirms it a bit. Maybe typical fiber compatible routers takes time to connect.
Any idea which UPS is perfect for a load of router + 2 bay NAS?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
router + 2 bay NAS?

Can you tell total power consumption of nas, look at the adopter for that. Also tell power consumption of router. If it goes above 50watts, then you shud not consider those small router ups instead go for a proper pc ups. Model will depend on power consumption though.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
If load is 100watts, adding power factor as 0.8 , you wud only need a 200va ups, even the basic 600va wud suffice, and also give you room for small expansion upto 50 w. This shud give atleast 1.5hr backup.

*www.amazon.in/dp/B016XVRKZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9B3CYE06MK130W23QWXH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The one I mentioned above is a 600va, it runs about 360w for 1 h 15 min so wud easily run. 100-150w for 2hrs. Considering power cuts are not long in your area, this is more than enough.

Last edited:
That APC one should be good. Buy APC one. I bought a cheap Zebronics 600Va UPS that was taking load of my monitor + 2 routers for about 1hr, but after a year, its battery life suddenly dropped drastically, likely needs a battery swap now (barely gives 10mins for just my monitor now).

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well the load for NAS would be around 14.96 W (as per official sources).
And while I am not sure about power consumption of the router which Excitel installed, but I am pretty sure it couldn't be more than 20W.
So in total I only need 35W, to be safer lets say 50 W.

So 600 VA UPS seems overkill to me.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Well the load for NAS would be around 14.96 W (as per official sources).

Wait, did you get ds120j or ds220+? Ds220+ has a celeron processor and that alone consumes around 10w approx, so considering hdd nd other components, it shud be near to 35-45 watts.

So 600 VA UPS seems overkill to me.

Yes that is, but how long does power remains cut? It will be able to give minimum 2.5hrs of backup. If it goes for only 5-6 min and within that time it is restored through Genset etc. You can get this one

*www.apc.com/shop/in/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-300VA-230V-UPS/P-BK300MI

It gives 50 min of runtime on 50watt load as per there site

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
*www.apc.com/shop/in/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-300VA-230V-UPS/P-BK300MI

It gives 50 min of runtime on 50watt load as per there site
Wow, didn't know APC had 300 VA UPS too. But as the site claims the product is discontinued. It's not available on Amazon too.
In fact, couldn't find any 300 VA UPS on Amazon.

So seems like I have no other option than to buy 600 VA. Power doesn't cut for more than half hour though (even that is a stretch, fortunately where I live).
But still considering I am also thinking to power other IoT device like security cam, I think 600 VA is my only, safe and future proof choice.

Thanks everyone.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
imho it would be better to buy UPS specially 500-600va onwards of APC etc. from Local market as many times online sellers deliver old stocks.
I will consider this point. Since Amazon sale is coming from 2nd October, I can buy from there, and if the product is old, I will return and offline. Alteast giving online a chance.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
But still considering I am also thinking to power other IoT device like security cam, I think 600 VA is my only, safe and future proof choice.

If you are thinking about more than 2 PoE cams along with switch, then might get 1000VA UPS, But if powering cam like xiaomi or realme ip cams, then 600VA is OK.

Top Bottom