Upgrading to RTX 3070 from GTX 980 Ti Please need suggest if i require PSU upgrade as well.

Knight2A4

In the zone
Firstly this is my current config.

Intel Core i7 4770K (No overclock)
Antec C400 Glacial 120 mm cpu Air cooler
Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5 Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 4 GB x 3 total of 12 gb ram
2 x 3.5inch HDD and 1 x 2.5 inch SSD
Asus strix 980 Ti
5 x Case Fans CORSAIR
Seasonic S12II 620 Watts

As i am planning to upgrade to I5 12400F + EVGA RTX 3070

the recommended PSU for RTX 3070 is 650 Watt do i need to upgrade my PSU.

Secondly the PSU came with a 8 pin and 6 pin connector for 980 Ti requires 2 x 8 pin connectors i am using a 6-pin to 8-pin PCI Express Power Converter Cable. Since RTX 3070 is also 2 x 8 pin connector will this be a problem.

Last edited:

DestGod

Journeyman
Yes a new PSU is absolutely vital. If your current unit had 2 8pin connectors, it would have managed. But with a converter, your PSU won't last long, neither will your PC. I'm surprised that you made it this far with a converter on a power hungry GPU. Go for a 650w or 850w PSU, if you do plan on doing more upgrades in the future.

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
thanks for the reply. what's with 6-pin to 8-pin connectors how does it affect system.
this is the upgrade path am thinking *pcpartpicker.com/list/XG74PX
the total wattage is around 461 watts so that like 74% of my 620 watt Seasonic S12II . buying a gold rated 750 watt PSU would set me back 8.6k i also looked into that (EVGA SuperNova 750 GT) had planned for this one. this model was test by gamer nexus.

IMO i5 12400 + 3070 should be ok on 620W, but 750W leaves more headroom for peripherals & momentary spikes. I use NZXT C750 with those CPU & GPU, its a top-tier PSU (tier A), will recommend it for under 9k, better than EVGA GT series (tier B). If you are spending so much on parts, better buy a good PSU as well, don't cheap out.

thanks for the reply. what's with 6-pin to 8-pin connectors how does it affect system.
the total wattage is around 461 watts so that like 74% of my 620 watt Seasonic S12II . buying a gold rated 750 watt PSU would set me back 8.6k i also looked into that (EVGA SuperNova 750 GT) had planned for this one. this model was test by gamer nexus.
Look into Gigabyte B660M DS3H mobo, costs 10k. Also, there is pcpartpicker India.

DestGod

Journeyman
Converters are very poorly built, and you cannot force 150w (8 pin's max capacity) to pass through a 6 pin connector. By doing so, you risk the potential of the converter going up in flames, and it'll take your other components along with it. As for the build, a 650w PSU will do fine. There are some good units out there like the Corsair RM650 and XPG Core Reactor 650.

You can cut down costs by removing the corsair fans from your build, as you'll already be getting good airflow in your build with a front mesh and 3 pre installed fans.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Converters are very poorly built, and you cannot force 150w (8 pin's max capacity) to pass through a 6 pin connector. By doing so, you risk the potential of the converter going up in flames, and it'll take your other components along with it. As for the build, a 650w PSU will do fine. There are some good units out there like the Corsair RM650 and XPG Core Reactor 650.

You can cut down costs by removing the corsair fans from your build, as you'll already be getting good airflow in your build with a front mesh and 3 pre installed fans.
OP already have the fans installed it seems. 12400 will pair well with 3070 which is bottom line upgrade OP should be aiming for. Can't do much cost cutting without going for lower end components at this point.

DestGod

Journeyman
@Knight2A4 Gigabyte's Eagle and Vision models of the RTX 3070 require only one 8 pin and one 6 pin power connectors. That will work perfectly with your PSU.

DestGod

Journeyman
bottom tier card. Better to add a bit more money and spend on Gaming OC version. It will have at least better fans.

Makes no sense to hate on a card without researching it first. The eagle card is a simple gpu for those who just want to game on it, without interest in heavy OC. Nothing wrong in going with it.

There is no such thing as a bottom tier card in today's market. The 3070 has a decent TBP of 220w, and even dual fan cards will be able to keep it cool. If there was a major defect in a card, then it would have been immediately raised by the community, and Gigabyte would have a rough time.

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One

Makes no sense to hate on a card without researching it first. The eagle card is a simple gpu for those who just want to game on it, without interest in heavy OC. Nothing wrong in going with it.

There is no such thing as a bottom tier card in today's market. The 3070 has a decent TBP of 220w, and even dual fan cards will be able to keep it cool. If there was a major defect in a card, then it would have been immediately raised by the community, and Gigabyte would have a rough time.
If you think there is no bottom tier card then why do we several versions of the same model from same brand?
I never said to avoid the card outright. I just mentioned that Eagle version is bottom tier card from Gigabyte. India's ambient temps are high. A bigger heatsink and 3 fans will help cool better than smaller heatsink where fans needs to spin at full speed to keep the card cool. This will also reduce the lifespan of fan. One is mistaken if they think higher tier card has same quality fans, e.g. Aorus vs Eagle. It also has poor reselling value. Adding few thousands isn't waste of money but only adds value to the purchase. Unless someone is on a very tight budget, I don't see point of getting Eagle version. Also, if the person is going to use it in AC room, then it is fine to go ahead with 2 fan versions.

OP
Knight2A4

Knight2A4

In the zone
Sorry for the late reply @DestGod, @SaiyanGoku, @omega44-xt, @TheSloth, Thanks u all for your advice. My brother will be coming from states next month i have asked him to bring these component basically i am aiming for 1440p gaming. I wanted to keep my upgrade cost as low as possible hence i was thinking for reuse the power supply but i think after looking up on different forums it's better to upgrade. Also after going thought the motherboard B660 am thinking to jump over to AMD 5600X its seem AMD motherboards are better under 10k. please suggest.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Sorry for the late reply @DestGod, @SaiyanGoku, @omega44-xt, @TheSloth, Thanks u all for your advice. My brother will be coming from states next month i have asked him to bring these component basically i am aiming for 1440p gaming. I wanted to keep my upgrade cost as low as possible hence i was thinking for reuse the power supply but i think after looking up on different forums it's better to upgrade. Also after going thought the motherboard B660 am thinking to jump over to AMD 5600X its seem AMD motherboards are better under 10k. please suggest.
Get EVGA only. And be prepared to send to states via ur brother or parcel to taiwan for RMA.

Imported parts are an easy no because of warranty. Can consider getting CPU, RAM & SSD, as those are very reliable in general, still, if something gets an issue, be ready to buy new, RMA won't be worth the hassle for most.

If you see some great deals, like R7 5700X was selling for $200 in US, can get that. Else, 5700X at $270 + 5% tax is 22.6k, here it is 25k with warranty. Hence an easy no to imports.

Top Bottom