Upgrading Sata SSD to NNMe

kartikoli

Busy!!
Currently I have W10 installed on Crucial MX500 250gb and now I am thinking to replace it with 250gb NVMe drive, Also I need another 1 TB Nvme or Sata (if budget issue) drive to install all remaining softwares and games so that will keep my OS drive almost free

Need advice which one to buy, I was thinking to delay my purchase but looks like SSD price are going to increase so its better to buy right now. Correct me if I am wrong.

A- 250 gb nvme (maybe gen 4?)
B- 1 Tb nvme or sata SSD (I can compromise the speed for this drive since this is my work PC and 90% usage is browsing)

IMO Gen4 SSDs aren't worth it for most, maybe 99% PC users. Most people can;t even fully utilize a top Gen3 SSD which gives up to 3500MBps speeds.

For value for money, I'd recommend Kingston A2000 or WD SN500 1TB NVMe. Generally costs 10k, but have seen on sale for under 8k like a month or so back as well (after card offers). Right now SN550 is 8.9k, not bad.

See if you know someone with amazon pay ICICI credit card with prime, you get 5% cashback in amazon pay. If you have ICICI bank account, maybe apply for it, might get processed fast, like it happened for me when I applied for Flipkart axis CC.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Till a couple of weeks back I also believed that NVMe SSDs are way faster than SATA and you could really feel the difference. But last week I got an Intel NUC with a Sata SSD. And when I compared it to my laptop, which has an NVMe SSD, I noticed that the difference isn't all that noticeable. The boot times are negligible even on the SATA SSD, and that when I don't even have fast boot enabled in the BIOS.

So I'd say don't waste money on Gen 4 NVMe SSD, you won't have any application capable of utilizing the extra bandwidth. And for the secondary one, you should definitely stick to SATA and go for a larger one rather than faster one if your budget permits.

I have an Adata SU650 SSD on my NUC which works like charm. In the past I have used Kingston ones for my old laptop and my father's laptop. Haven't had any issues with any. I do think the Adata one is slightly faster, but I have not done any benchmarking to be sure of it.

Till a couple of weeks back I also believed that NVMe SSDs are way faster than SATA and you could really feel the difference. But last week I got an Intel NUC with a Sata SSD. And when I compared it to my laptop, which has an NVMe SSD, I noticed that the difference isn't all that noticeable. The boot times are negligible even on the SATA SSD, and that when I don't even have fast boot enabled in the BIOS.

So I'd say don't waste money on Gen 4 NVMe SSD, you won't have any application capable of utilizing the extra bandwidth. And for the secondary one, you should definitely stick to SATA and go for a larger one rather than faster one if your budget permits.

I have an Adata SU650 SSD on my NUC which works like charm. In the past I have used Kingston ones for my old laptop and my father's laptop. Haven't had any issues with any. I do think the Adata one is slightly faster, but I have not done any benchmarking to be sure of it.
I agree that difference between SATA & cheap NVMe isn't perceivable, but SATA costs similar to a faster cheap TLC NVMe like WD SN550 or Kingston A2000 (QLC is inferior). So I see no point buying a SATA drive over those.

Also, I have observed a difference b/w a cheap DRAMless SATA SSD like that SU650 or BX500 vs a good SATA or cheap TLC NVMe when you try to open multiple apps at once or say try to record gameplay at the background. Even QLC performs better than DRAMless SATA. I observed this while comparing my friend's PC with R7 3700X + 2070S with Crucial BX500 vs my laptop with HP EX920 NVMe. My laptop has an inferior CPU & GPU still responds better & I could see the SSD hitting 100% usage on task manager in my friend's PC.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I also believed that NVMe SSDs are way faster than SATA and you could really feel the difference. But last week I got an Intel NUC with a Sata SSD. And when I compared it to my laptop, which has an NVMe SSD, I noticed that the difference isn't all that noticeable. The boot times are negligible even on the SATA SSD, and that when I don't even have fast boot enabled in the BIOS.
I agree. I upgraded from a 2015 250gb ssd to nvme a2000. For everyday use there is no noticeable difference at all.
Only place it makes a noticeable difference in docker accessing 100k files.

OP
kartikoli

kartikoli

Busy!!
I was going to place an order for Western Digital WD SN550 250GB @3573 *www.amazon.in/Western-Digital-SN55...d=1&keywords=250GB+Nvme&qid=1621743525&sr=8-4 but then people suggested to go for Samsung 970 EVO Plus and now that drive cost 5499 *www.amazon.in/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-MZ-V7S250BW/dp/B07MHXYL6T

Idea is to keep OS/Office/browsers in a separate drive which helps in reinstallation so the final capacity will be
250gb NVMe (OS/Office/browsers)
1tb NVMe (program files, installed games and softwares), Can also look for Sata ssd but now there is hardly any difference in price so no point going for them (unless I get a second hand deal for Sata)
2tb normal drive for storage (movies, TV series, Games ISO's etc...)

Should I spend extra money on Samsung over SN550?

I was going to place an order for Western Digital WD SN550 250GB @3573 *www.amazon.in/Western-Digital-SN55...d=1&keywords=250GB+Nvme&qid=1621743525&sr=8-4 but then people suggested to go for Samsung 970 EVO Plus and now that drive cost 5499 *www.amazon.in/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-MZ-V7S250BW/dp/B07MHXYL6T

Idea is to keep OS/Office/browsers in a separate drive which helps in reinstallation so the final capacity will be
250gb NVMe (OS/Office/browsers)
1tb NVMe (program files, installed games and softwares), Can also look for Sata ssd but now there is hardly any difference in price so no point going for them (unless I get a second hand deal for Sata)
2tb normal drive for storage (movies, TV series, Games ISO's etc...)

Should I spend extra money on Samsung over SN550?
Just buy 500GB SN550 or Kingston A2000 for 5k instead. Better investment as those TLC drives are fast enough for most users.

OP
kartikoli

kartikoli

Busy!!
Great, was planning to have 250gb+1tb drives but now we have 10% discount on SBI CC with min purchase of 5000 that makes SN550 500gb a great deal for 4662
*www.amazon.in/Western-Digital-SN55...eywords=250GB+Nvme&qid=1621743525&sr=8-4&th=1

Now just need to find someone with SBI card :D

Last edited:
Great, was planning to have 250gb+1tb drives but now we have 10% discount on SBI CC with min purchase of 5000 that makes SN550 500gb a great deal for 4662
*www.amazon.in/Western-Digital-SN55...eywords=250GB+Nvme&qid=1621743525&sr=8-4&th=1

Now just need to find someone with SBI card :D
Not many apply for an SBI CC. My friend's father applied for one & got a 10k credit limit which is too low considering he's a government servant w/o any loans.

You can use SBI yono or Axis bank app's deal section to place an order from there & get 5% cashback. Something like that.

OP
kartikoli

kartikoli

Busy!!
Not many apply for an SBI CC. My friend's father applied for one & got a 10k credit limit which is too low considering he's a government servant w/o any loans.

You can use SBI yono or Axis bank app's deal section to place an order from there & get 5% cashback. Something like that.
True, I have SBI debit card and not going for there CC when I really don't need that service

Top Bottom